• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 9 is dollar for dollar the best class if off-road racing!

Johnson954

Check out where the winner in class 9 would have finished in the other classes at the MORE 500 this last weekend. Class 9 does not get a lot of respect though. With only 6" of travel in the front, 9" in the rear, a stock dp VW motor, and competitive cars that can be bought or built for less than $12K, this class in my opinion is the best in off-road racing. ...just sayin... www.pro-nine.com

(in class 5, 12, and 1600 the 6th lap was thrown out, since class 9 only ran 5...)

Class 1 - 8th
Class 3 - 6th
Class 5 - 4th
Class 5/16 - 1st
Class 10 - 5th
Class 12 - 6th
Class 14 - 2nd
Class 1450 - 1st
Class 1/2 1600 - 9th or 10th....I dunno, number are a little mixed up...
Class 17 - 1st

If you're interested check out the Class 9 forum here on RDC or these other web sites:

http://www.pro-nine.com/
http://www.class9.net/

Klaus

Administrator
What is less money to race Class11 or Class9?

I love our Eleven. It even gets some air (see driver side tire)

I am sure they're pretty even budget wise. Honestly I had no idea how much fun these cars are until I drove one. They can take a lot of abuse, as much as you can take....

Nothing like going across the dez as fast as you can in a car that has no suspension, no power, no power steering... Haha it definitely teaches you to drive around crap and save the car (and your back) instead of just hitting it.

Mucho respect for those who brave this class.

Photo by TNT

TauMau

What is less money to race Class11 or Class9?

I love our Eleven. It even gets some air (see driver side tire)
We run a class 9 (among other classes) and recently got into an 11. The MORE 500 was our first class 11 race and we ended up 2nd, about 4 minutes behind King Dave despite our burnt out alternator. I was having a lot of fun on my lap (I drove the last). Getting into drag races with faster classes and launching it a few times. I wish class 11 was the cheapest way to go racing but unfortunately due to the zinger engines class 11 seems to end up being a little more than 9. I wish they had kept the class pump gas only.

The reason we got the class 11 was because we'll be racing it to La Paz at the 1000 this year. We've done it many times in 1/2-1600 and 12. Time for a challenge :)

Our car from the Oraf 500:

Johnson954

We run a class 9 (among other classes) and recently got into an 11. The MORE 500 was our first class 11 race and we ended up 2nd, about 4 minutes behind King Dave despite our burnt out alternator. I was having a lot of fun on my lap (I drove the last). Getting into drag races with faster classes and launching it a few times. I wish class 11 was the cheapest way to go racing but unfortunately due to the zinger engines class 11 seems to end up being a little more than 9. I wish they had kept the class pump gas only.

The reason we got the class 11 was because we'll be racing it to La Paz at the 1000 this year. We've done it many times in 1/2-1600 and 12. Time for a challenge :)

Our car from the Oraf 500:
That's awesome! Best of luck to you guys Jacob!

Johnson954

Now if only we could get some class 9 guys to come up north to race, our 9's are fast.
How far is up North? We are racing down south in Plaster City this year in Nov, and hoping to get a lot of class 9's from south of the border to come up and play!

ACME

Having owned/raced both the 9 is way easier to work on and when the "hot" motors came out of the closet in 11 the motor bills made the 9 more cost effective. 9 is a great class and teaches you how to prep and drive...

Shred918

I may have to do one of those races sometimes........... problem on those for me is pit support.

NIKAL

I may have to do one of those races sometimes........... problem on those for me is pit support.
If your considering racing in Plaster City. MDR has MAG 7 pit support at every race. MAG 7 charges $20-$25 per race and this gets you 2-3 full pits around the course. MAG 7 will dump your fuel, change your tires, weld up a crack and fix your car at any one of their pit locations. How can you beat that for $25? You can literally show up by yourself and race knowing you will have full support.

BTW last year one of the 1600 cars broke down at one of the back side MAG 7 pits. He had a replacement part at his camp, but had no one to get him the part. MAG 7 got on the radio and had a guy find his camp, get his part and bring it out the MAG 7 pit so they could get him racing again. Now that is service!

harleys dad

What none of you class 9 racers seem to mention is how much money is spent to keep a transmission alive in a class 9. race after race. Class 11 built rite is so much cheaper than a class 9 to own and operate it is not even close. Take my class 11 I built for Battle at Primm, with chromoly tubing for the complete roll cage, the complete front end with new ball joints-tie rods and ends and steering box -stops brakes and drums minus the shocks I already had, The rear arms I built, bought new spring plates , bought used 300M torsion bars for 200 bucks with new stub axels-cvs-axels I had less than 1000 dollars cash in a complete Score legal roller! Including the car its self that has 90 percent of what is needed to race class 11 or class 9. A class 9, that IS a out dated class 11 buggy loses its cheap statis when you include frame -body-fuel cell and last but not least transmission which in a class 11 I can go years and never remove it from the car! I pulled the motor out of my other class 11 that has not been apart since 2004! and the trans had 3 races on it including winning the Snore 250 before Battle at primm and won Battle at Primm, and the oraf 500 with 0 work in between races on the car averaging about 35MPH at oraf on the first lap which I didnt give it all for the entire lap(didnt need to) and with in a minute a lap of the fastest 9 cars at BAP!! beating 5/1600 and class 5 and going by a lot of class 9 cars that started in front of us all the way going just fast enough to stay out front. All my car lacks is close ratio gears and that minute would evaporate!(that is a shout out to Bud!) This talk about zinger engines? It cost about 100 bucks more for forged pistons if that over cast pistons and cost almost nothing at all to add compression to the engine. A simple decking of the case or a deeper fly cut or both is all it takes. That is the 2 differences in a class 11 motor and a class 9 motor. I run a old Vw stock exhaust wich the exhaust and spark arrestor for a class 9 cost more than adding any kind of compression to the engine. Yes I run race gas at about 12.3 to 1 but with 7.5 to 1 why would you. You could run Nova pemex. Both run any cams, both run stock 69mm cranks,. stock rods carb etc. What I dont understand is why the winning class 9 engines are not being claimed. I know there is more money in some of those engines than the claim fee is! The best part about class 11 to me is I am half way to winning 10.000 dollars, possible Harley Motorcycle among a bunch of other things at Rage at the river in the hands down cheapest class which is class 11. In a car I dont need to do anything to! or put money into between races!

ACME

Dave, you're the luckiest 11 guy I know and maybe the craziest. When I compare the wifes 11 to the 9's we've owned; IMHO the 9's were easier and cheaper to work on given the speed vs $'s spent but then again I'm just an average joe and didn't have the magic touch... As far as trannies, it's a driver thing and the motors are what soured us. It was a pump gas class and then it became known that; well you know the story... The fun factor in an 11 is awesome but I beleive the class 9 is the best bang for the buck and if you run out of talent or take one for a tumble they are way easier to repair...

MALABANAN

Dave knows how to haul the mail for pennies on the dollar. I know because he flew past me!!!! But, fenders SUCK!!!

harleys dad

Dave, you're the luckiest 11 guy I know and maybe the craziest. When I compare the wifes 11 to the 9's we've owned; IMHO the 9's were easier and cheaper to work on given the speed vs $'s spent but then again I'm just an average joe and didn't have the magic touch... As far as trannies, it's a driver thing and the motors are what soured us. It was a pump gas class and then it became known that; well you know the story... The fun factor in an 11 is awesome but I beleive the class 9 is the best bang for the buck and if you run out of talent or take one for a tumble they are way easier to repair...
I have always said built rite the first time a class 11 is nearly indestructible that is why I have gone on class11coalition.com and spilled 35+ years of secrets I have learned racing and building 30 class 11 cars over the years trying to help everyone build a car what I have found threw experience to be rite the first time. I have found no one who drives them as hard as I do and have so little damage to report. Even class 9 hero Cory Torres My car after BAP and ORAF could except for the front skid plate which was not really a skid plate at all be pulled out of the garage and I would have 0 problem entering it again. It is in perfect condition. I do agree the roll over factor favors the 9 but in 35 years of racing class 11 on and off I have never put one on its roof racing, only screwing around when I was a teenager triple endowing one by my moms house then took it back home and tried to hide it from my dad LOL It is totally a preference for sure, just giving my 2 cents or more LOL

BUDMAN975

A shout out from the King. I am special!