• Forum membership has its advantages....

class 9 rule changes

kurt

This debate as to rules changes is also raging on the "Go Desert" site. It would be great to see them over here discussing the ideas without having to deal with the 9 car bashers chiming in!

mike_hinson

Kurt,
Post your message on go-desert.com. Maybe they will come over here. Kenny has been posting over here as you have seen, but because they don't have to leave their real names, the 9 bashers are having a heyday. I'm just glad to see the dialog taking place, even if we have to look past the junk being posted about our class. I appreciate Kenny taking this on.
Mike

Protech975

Just took a look at the Go-Desert forum on this issue and what a nightmare! This discussion needs to remain in this site and on this Board. Its ours to use so lets stay clear of all the negative %$*&#[email protected]! and get some positive work done by 9 people who care about the issue and not just the last word garbage elsewhere.
Seems like there are two issues that need to be addressed here now!

1st. Is it time to redefine the basic concepts,ideas,philosophy of the Class 9 cars given todays race Technology versus 25 years ago when the class began? If the answer is yes then we have a clean slate to redefine the class from the ground up.

2nd. If a major redefinition of the class is not needed then what changes need to be made, Major, Minor, Cost effective, logical, eliminate nonsence rules, or just keep them as they are right now? R.S.

The last thing this class needs is more rule changes. It always adds more money & speed to the class. The more trick stuff you allow the more you will need.When this class first started you had to run type 1 drums,stock gears,no resivors,& allowed to make weight wet.The more we allow the more they will want to have. If you dont like the rules find a new class. Dont mess with the most affordable class we have.

mike_hinson

Kenny,
This was posted on go-desert.com: (Rule changes) "Needs to be done 6 months in advance of season." Have you gotten any word on the six month requirement?
Mike

Kenny_Thatcher

as far as snore and mdr are congerned it dosent matter if its what the drivers want
also I have spoken to Bill Savage of score and he told me to fax him what I have on the subject and he
would see what he could do

Corey_989

I kick azz in sportsman!
Just bringing up a dead topic thats 5 or 6 years old!!!! Anyone have any new ideas or does everyone feel the cars are good the way they are??? I don't really like the idea of changing rules but as other classes evolve (1600=$40,000?) maybe this class should as well??? The class seems to be growing again in MORE and SNORE so lets get some input from todays racers!!!!

Last edited:

Ryan Schank

Change nothing. If you want a change move up in class.

Corey_989

I kick azz in sportsman!
Ryan I believe this was directed at people that RACE class 9, and a few racers have been asking me!!! I don't have a problem with the class just listening to others!!!

Haney motorsports

Holy cow Torres! I believe everyone has a voice and they should be heard even if they don't currently race in 9. I will be the 2nd to say rule changes are not needed and I don't currently race in 9 (hopefully soon my sons will). Unless there is some sort of major safety issue... Keep it the SAME.

Psycho 910

This is something that sould of been brougt up long time ago.I agree with leaving the class alone (ie) ball joints,one shock per corner,drum brakes.......ect.But the rule we all need to push is the transmissions.We all are driving way to hard for just a stock type 1 ring and pinion.It would be a lot cheaper if the trans was open and you could run any ratio 1st and 2nd you want,and say for the ring and pinion we can run a 388 in sted of a 412 or 437.I dont know about every one else but I have to change my ring and pinion every race and with a 388 it would last a not longer and you have a lot more options with that ring gear.Just think,a stronger 1st gear for those big silt holes.

Corey_989

I kick azz in sportsman!
Chris, this should be open to the ones that race the class because they are the ones that know what issues are out there that could be fixed to make this class more affordable. Rick's post is a very good example of ways to make the class cheaper to run. My trans is rebuilt every race and more is paid in labor than parts. There is a shock tower issue, fan shroud issue and engine tin issues, why not get rid of that bs stuff so petty a person doesn't come along and protest something that doesn't even make the cars faster?? (It has happend in the past) Let's get a pole going out of 18 cars that started the Balls Out 250 what problems did you guys have??

I broke a trans!!!!

randomracer

i dont race class 9 anymore but did in the past. i agree with changes that dont really change the class, like trans internals and fan shroud, tins ect. but much more then that i dont see it as a good thing.i dont see you guys running any harder or faster then anyone has in the past . thats part of the class is to be able to run fast but not break IMO.

Johnson954

I'm with Rick....9 car trannies suck! Just a few changes could save tons of money over the course of a season. I wouldn't mind seeing a mix of the old CORR light buggy rules with ours. I know there are going to be those die-hard nine car nuts that say if you want IRS and link pin, go to 1600, but the classes worked pretty well in CORR, and class 16 is getting way too far out of reach for budget racers. Maybe it would be a new class, something like the champ class in SNORE, only based off a class 9 wheel base.

If nothing else, I think changes to the transmission to make it stronger as a swing axle are necessary, the motor claimer needs to be a thing of the past, and I think we should be able to run 16" aluminum wheels. Just those few changes would make our class over all eaiser to run, and more affordable in the long run.

Psycho 910

I forgot to add that, you can run any ring and pinion and gear ratios as long as it is a SWINGAXLE.

Last edited:
the only problem i have is i lose 2nd gear everyonce in awhile...so i would suggest new transmission rules...but on the other hand thats part of racing...and i like the challenge trying to finish....so i have no say either way

Corey_989

I kick azz in sportsman!
Jared next week is going to be a hard one to keep these cars together for!! Hows the 11 car looking?

doug969

Chris, this should be open to the ones that race the class because they are the ones that know what issues are out there that could be fixed to make this class more affordable. Rick's post is a very good example of ways to make the class cheaper to run. My trans is rebuilt every race and more is paid in labor than parts. There is a shock tower issue, fan shroud issue and engine tin issues, why not get rid of that bs stuff so petty a person doesn't come along and protest something that doesn't even make the cars faster?? (It has happend in the past) Let's get a pole going out of 18 cars that started the Balls Out 250 what problems did you guys have??

I broke a trans!!!!
Corey I dont have a 9 anymore but enough parts to build a few so can I respond please sir?

BUDMAN975

Corey I too broke a transmission, also a hole in an oil line. the oil line was my fault but I think you are right. by the way Doug you write like william shakespeare, pure GENIUS