• Forum membership has its advantages....

class 9 rule changes

Jared next week is going to be a hard one to keep these cars together for!! Hows the 11 car looking?
yea it should be fun

the 11 car is looking good!!! made a few more improvments should be some tuff competition...
if your gonna be out their we will have all 3 cars running...the 1600 car is finally done too

racer951

My thoughts...Not only has 1600 stepped up but so have others. Class 9 will always be 100'' wb, non power-steering, swing axle's. No one is arguing that. We don't need big changes, but a few smart ones. We need changes that will make the cars more reliable, slightly faster, and not much more expensive. I think all of these would increase competition due to increased finishing rates.

-Open up the trannys. How much is open to discussion. Of course still swing axle.
-Aluminum Wheels. Used centerlines are a dime a dozen. Not a huge advantage, either.
-Fan shroud. Should have never been a rule in the first place.
-33'' tires. Have they changed this already?

Also to think about:

-Ditch the claimer rule
-9 to 1 compression
-Aluminum drums (a lot of used ones around as well)
-Something to make front end more reliable. Keep ball joints, but change ?

Last edited:

PEST

The only thing that needs to be changed is the trans. Somebody that knows a few things about transmissions chime in and give a price difference on the changes. I've been told that 2nd on the main is a good place to start, because most people do it anyways

doug969

I agree with you guys on the trans,engine tin,beam rules. It would help grow the class and keep some in the class. I dont have a 9 right now but i'm working on it if anyone knows of a chassis for sale.

RAK 915

I agree that the transaxle rules should be opened up. I say any R&P, any gear ratios for 1st and 2nd, any main shaft, as long as it stays swingaxle. I think the engine should remain at 7 1/2 to 1 because it's economical and they last a whole season or more and we don't need to got faster, because if we do, then people will want by-pass shocks. I just want a transaxle that could go 2 or 3 races with only fluid changes instead of a R&P every race. If you want an IRS link pin car you can run champ in SNORE.

ffrank

I also would like the trans ratios opened up. The current engine tin rule is crazy, All it does is keep the engines looking like non-racecars. More compression would mean expensive fuel and motors would have to be rebuilt more often. The only rule I would love to see change but never will is power steering, Being an old wimpy man I would surely like to give up a few horsepower to be able to hang on. I also thought that you might get more old-dads back into 9 with it. Class 9 is a fun class and Ill race until it isnt.

ACME

I'm in the same boat as Worm, not a current 9 guy but looking, again... I think a few changes that would make the class better are, open the transmission's, any type 1 tin, and blow off the claimer rule. The aluminum hat issue is interesting but drums can still be found, other wise keep it the same...

Scrapiron

It sounds like everyone agree's that the tin and transmission rules should be updated. So what is the next step, call Bill Savage?

racer951

I also would like the trans ratios opened up. The current engine tin rule is crazy, All it does is keep the engines looking like non-racecars. More compression would mean expensive fuel and motors would have to be rebuilt more often. The only rule I would love to see change but never will is power steering, Being an old wimpy man I would surely like to give up a few horsepower to be able to hang on. I also thought that you might get more old-dads back into 9 with it. Class 9 is a fun class and Ill race until it isnt.
Frank with 9 to 1 you can still run pump gas and I don't think much reliability will be lost.

What about creating a ballot to be voted on at the next few races or MORE/SNORE. I believe SCORE followed the lead on Power steering for 5/16's, why not on our rules?

PEST

It sounds like everyone agree's that the tin and transmission rules should be updated. So what is the next step, call Bill Savage?
Why call Savage?, everybody that runs 9 races MORE and SNORE.

Frank with 9 to 1 you can still run pump gas and I don't think much reliability will be lost.
Why change the compression my motor works just fine.

racer951

Nathan,

Just an idea to get a little more speed/power for not a lot of money. The 1600 guys run 13.5 to 1! I think for a change like that you could phase it in for 2009 (which would give 18 months) since a lot of teams only prep their motors one a year, etc.

I think that allowing another year is a good idea for any rule change where people would have to swap out parts they don't normally service often.

I know SNORE has thought about the transmission issue before...I say we take it to these 2 promoters and have a straight up vote.

randomracer

Nathan,

Just an idea to get a little more speed/power for not a lot of money. The 1600 guys run 13.5 to 1! I think for a change like that you could phase it in for 2009 (which would give 18 months) since a lot of teams only prep their motors one a year, etc.

I think that allowing another year is a good idea for any rule change where people would have to swap out parts they don't normally service often.

I know SNORE has thought about the transmission issue before...I say we take it to these 2 promoters and have a straight up vote.
i think runing that much cr you have to rebuild top end alot more and your making more power which brakes the transmission and hard on all other parts, not to mention you spend more on fuel. i think just internal upgrades on the trannys would be the only change that should be made IMO

doug969

i think runing that much cr you have to rebuild top end alot more and your making more power which brakes the transmission and hard on all other parts, not to mention you spend more on fuel. i think just internal upgrades on the trannys would be the only change that should be made IMO
I agree 100% with you! The cylinder tin/shroud items also need to be changed.

doug969

yes the tin also sorry i missed that.there is no advangtage i can think of in changing the tin from one style to the next.
I think when they came up with the rules they new it wouldnt gain power but rather keep it stock looking to help draw more cars because of the "low Cost" builds.

randomracer

I think when they came up with the rules they new it wouldnt gain power but rather keep it stock looking to help draw more cars because of the "low Cost" builds.
the way i look at it there probally no better fan shroud then a stock german one , vw put who knows how much money to make sure they worked and there built sturdy, as far as the cylinder tin goes there not much difference. IMO, i agree with you.