Class act......Casey Folks

Fire1998

Reaction
This weekend in Parker was my last race on a bike in BITD. Been doing it since 2006. With age comes cage and I have an unlimited vintage Jeepspeed being built that will be done by Pahrump. Truck in Avatar is my race truck. Day one in Ironman went great after first lap and I could take bike out of 3rd gear due to dust. 2nd and 3rd lap were awesome!! 3rd lap being my fastest. Felt proud and and in great condition for day 2. Line up for day 2 next to my best riding and traveling buddy. He beat me buy a few minutes on saturday. He started 1rst....I started 9th on Saturday!! He gets holeshot on me and I'm chasing thru blinding dust. About 9 miles into race in some of the 9' deep whoops created by trophy trucks the night before.....I bottomed out in between whoops and landed with left footpeg on a rock. Couldnt see rock due to dust. Immediately knew I broke my ankle. Ironic thing was I carrying BITD medical radio in case I came across a downed rider. Volunteered my services being a career P/FF for 18 years. I didn't crash and pulled over and contacted BITD with radio letting them know I broke my ankle. I told them I would be coming down Shea road to pits. Med guys treated me great!!! After telling Paramedics my background they gave me the good stuff in IV in back of ambulance. Went to the hospital and they were great!!! Didnt realize i could ride my bike across street!!! Doc Made me feel real good as they set temp cast. Lady from hospital drove me back to my truck in hot pits!!! Anyways dislocated ankle and broke fibula. Fibula required 8 screws and a plate and they popped ankle back in place. Had surgery in Loveland Colorado by one of the top Orthopedic Docs in country!! Anywho.....this Tuesday I get a call from Casey Folks. He wanted to know how I was doing. We had a good conversation and he wished me the best !!! Pretty cool to have organizer call you after race to see how your doing!! Good guy that Casey!!! I told Casey I'd be in Pahrump in a truck!!!

Sorry to buddy who had to drive back to Colorado on his own!! I was not allowed by DR to drive home. He didn't want compartment syndrome to set in. Buddy dropped me off at Excalibur in Vegas. My girlfriend caught a flight and was in Vegas by 8pm sunday! We flew home Monday at 5pm. First time in Vegas I stayed in room and watched TV!!!!!

Last edited:

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
When I heard the call on the radio I didn't dream that it was you that had been hurt. I figured you were out with a downed rider like we had planned.

Im sorry it happened but glad the experience was as best as it could be. We will see you in pahrump sir.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

pgarfinkle

Reaction
I couldn't agree more, Fire1998. When I crashed last year at the SS300. I too got a call from Casey to check on me. I missed his call and when I called back he was busy. I told Diane a call back wasn't needed but he insisted on calling me. We had a great chat.

Heal up and enjoy that truck.

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Back years ago Casey was the only promoter in my 35 years that has ever called me to invite me to race one of his races. It took a few years of him working on me but I finally entered one and loved it. Nobody works harder and cares more about his racers that Casey does. He will be a really tough act to follow when he decides to retire.

Fire1998

Reaction
Yea....wasn't supposed to be me!!! Oh well I had a radio... it was the racing gods above telling me to get in that cage!! Radio was a great idea!!! Minutes can mean the outcome of a rider living or dying!! I think all Paramedics riding bikes who would volunteer should carry radio and backpack. I THINK I got the backpack down below 10lbs.
I will get back with ya on that backpack I was telling you about. Hopefully you kept bag I put together to recreate when we get program started. I think its a great step forward in helping downed riders. Even in truck if I come across a downed bike rider I will stop and make sure rider is ok!! Its against my moral code to ride by a downed rider!!! A race win is not worth a riders life!!

johndjmix

Reaction
Bwdc was my first race in a truck, and I had a computer issue and had to be pulled out. One call on the radio to BITD and someone was there to pull me out no more than 5 minutes later.

Awesome. Entry fees aren't cheap but you do get treated very well at any BITD event.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Back years ago Casey was the only promoter in my 35 years that has ever called me to invite me to race one of his races. It took a few years of him working on me but I finally entered one and loved it. Nobody works harder and cares more about his racers that Casey does. He will be a really tough act to follow when he decides to retire.
Casey is a great promoter and American.

Back in the Fud days, Fud would call me (and other racers) at night just to shoot the S. He was usually a couple sheets to the wind (made for some interesting convo's) but he to was a great advocate and a very passionate desert guys.

Fire1998, glad your experience was on the good side of a bad deal. Sounds like there was a couple very lucky racers at this years Bluewater event.

Props out to the BITD volunteers, especially the medical staff.

DirtDgr

Reaction
I won the Nevada 2000 in Ironman Ex in 2000. The next year at V2R during the big rider/drivers meeting Casey was introducing all the fast dudes like Cambell and the like. Then all the sudden he introduces me in front of all these awsome fast desert people!! I was floored. Im a nobody! Will never forget how that felt. Thanks Casey!

Reaction
Casey for President!