• Forum membership has its advantages....

Class10_???

Robin Hood

Will class 10 become obsolete when the Golf Karts are faster, have 4X4, cost less, and have sponsorship opportunity? Is it just a matter of time? Or is that time almost here?

michael.gonzalez

~ 2000 lbs
~ 300hp
~ 25" travel all around
35" Tires
~ 77" wide
~ 110" WB

Sound like a badass Class 10?

It's a factory "El Diablo" Speed UTV.

They will start challenging Class 10's soon IMO

Alumicraft Class 10 per their website:
~ 2200 lbs (more weight) -
~ 250 hp (less power) -
~ 20" travel all around (less travel) -
33" Tires (smaller tires) -
~ 86" wide (9" wider) +
~121" wheelbase (11" longer) +

Last edited:

McCredie A

~ 2000 lbs
~ 300hp
~ 25" travel all around
35" Tires
~ 77" wide
~ 110" WB

~ 250 hp (less power) -
~ 86" wide (9" wider) +
While I agree they are BA. It is not fair to compare them to a full built race car. When the Diablo is in full race trim it will be heavier than it was off the factory line. And it does not come with 35's. I think it will have to be beefed up to live in race conditions with the power it could have.

Not hating on UTV or the Diablo. I actually really like it.

Fourstroker

Adding on to what McCredie says ALL Class 10's including Alumicrafts are running 35's. 33 is the max tire size for a UTV race vehicle (Except Unlimited Class). And that is one unproven engine at 300hp. Want to guess how many will race the 300hp version. I'm guessing very few

Robin Hood

A 4x4 UTV won't need to match tire size with a 10 car to have an advantage. 300 hp shouldn't be necessary either.

Bro_Gill

The issue I see for them right now are the chassis rules. When a builder starts building a race chassis that all parts can swap over to, be race legal as built, and provides better pivot points for strength and eases some of the maintenance issues as far as access goes, then I think you would see Class 10 start to see a decline. Until that happens, a true side by side race car costs as much if not more than a 10 car. The rules changes over the years will dictate when that happens.

PeteRock

Also need to point out that a UTV in full race trim to compete with class 10 will cost just as much or will be more expensive than a class 10. And anyone who says a 30k stock UTV can compete with class 10's is making a gross understatement.
Point is why people compare UTV's to other classes, and compare to what is faster? Generally speaking throw enough money into anything it will be faster than something else. Accept for Dirty Harry, boo koo bucks but not much to show for it.
But then again is price ever an issue when we do all of this for the love of the sport? LOL

Robin Hood

Also need to point out that a UTV in full race trim to compete with class 10 will cost just as much or will be more expensive than a class 10. And anyone who says a 30k stock UTV can compete with class 10's is making a gross understatement.
Point is why people compare UTV's to other classes, and compare to what is faster? Generally speaking throw enough money into anything it will be faster than something else. Accept for Dirty Harry, boo koo bucks but not much to show for it.
But then again is price ever an issue when we do all of this for the love of the sport? LOL
A full race UTV doesn't cost what a full race 10 does today, and I think the price gap will get bigger, not smaller as the economies of scale lean in favor of the UTVs.

Slippery P

What does a “full race” UTV cost now days?
Im talking unlimited class front runner, you know the ones that really the only thing UTV is the drive train.

Bro_Gill

I beg to differ, Right now, the UTV classes are based on some limitations that keep costs down. That is not the case with anything in class 10 EXCEPT the base engine to be used. I know for a fact several teams have built $125k+ UTVs for racing purposes. I believe some were in the $180k range for turn key deals. And those UTVs still used the base factory chassis and pick up points. At some point, someone is going to build a $250k unlimited UTV that will change everything. Fact- You can build a top of the line state of the art 10 car for less than that.

jon coleman

~ 2000 lbs
~ 300hp
~ 25" travel all around
35" Tires
~ 77" wide
~ 110" WB

~ 250 hp (less power) -
~ 86" wide (9" wider) +
so i can waltz right in w credit cards in hand , grab a diablo, race it, beat a 10 car field ( or wadd it), and buy factory prep parts off the shelf and bolt em on for the next race?, wow , golf carts have Arrived!!!

jon coleman

I beg to differ, Right now, the UTV classes are based on some limitations that keep costs down. That is not the case with anything in class 10 EXCEPT the base engine to be used. I know for a fact several teams have built $125k+ UTVs for racing purposes. I believe some were in the $180k range for turn key deals. And those UTVs still used the base factory chassis and pick up points. At some point, someone is going to build a $250k unlimited UTV that will change everything. Fact- You can build a top of the line state of the art 10 car for less than that.
i think, any thing goes, as long as a rubber band is in between eng.& transmission, correct?, heck, if i had the money, my sXs would cost 350000$ to build...

Rprice

~ 2000 lbs
~ 300hp
~ 25" travel all around
35" Tires
~ 77" wide
~ 110" WB

~ 250 hp (less power) -
~ 86" wide (9" wider) +
You have no clue what your talking about

Robin Hood

My prediction will be that by the end 2022 the UTVs are faster than the beloved 1600, 12s and 10's.

Class 10's need to step up their motor program an go to a six cylinder. ;)
Class 1600 is killing its self with the Hi/Low issue
Class 12? Why

Last edited:

turbodon

10 cars are pretty hard on parts even with 20" travel and 220hp. Seems like most are running 934, mid-board or MB MS, 5+ speed sequential with 10+ in R&P.... still hard on parts.
Just not seeing these golf cart things holding up with 300hp and jr size axles, hubs, drivelines, rubber bands, etc.

As for 10 needing more engine, that's a 6200 isn't it? (Dead class)
1600 killing itself, yeah, guys are frustrated, but the change is better and makes more power, 1600 racers are budget minded (mostly) and don't want to spend the coin. Car counts are still impressive
Class 12, Why? Always loved that class but seems real dead. (sorry)

FWIW we bought a pretty sweet Bunderson 2-1600 last year that is fricken FAST for 14k. The dollars to fun/speed ratio are very high in 1600. Built golf carts are stupid money, but that's without a doubt where a guy can get notoriety, sponsorships, Move into TT, etc. While I have no doubt the top golf carts will beat the top 16's, is that really saying much? We're talking about a class with minimal updates over the last 30 years that still run 1600cc VW engines...

Speaking of class 10, have you guys seen the new Jakes Fabworks class 10? Is that going to be the new dominating force that changes the game in class 10 like he did with his 5U's?