• Forum membership has its advantages....

Clean old school truck

dirtslinger

Hey vintage people.
This truck just popped up for sale right down the street from me, and I stopped and took a look at it and talked to the owner.
It was ridiculously clean, full cab cage, old engine cage with triple Ranchos on the front, bed cage and fuel cell in the rear with a bunch of aluminum work. Doesn't really look it would handle all that great, but I have off road toys, so this would be more of a street queen.

Owner says it was originally built by "Duffco" if he remember right, and it was built in the early 80s as a show piece, and it only has 26K original miles on it? His wife says she's actually driven it on a couple hundred mile round trips and it drives perfect.

Nice little small block 350, turbo 350, but no AC.

He's asking $13K for it. What do you think? I'm actually thinking about picking it up.

Attachments

Slippery P

Hell yeah! Cool truck I remember it was for sale a while ago I think the price was a little steep at that time.

dirtslinger

Do you have any information about when it was for sale a while ago? Owner says he's had it a couple years.

Does 13K seem like a decent price? It does to me, but I'm a buggy dork.

Porboy

Duffco used to build a lot of Toyota stuff back in the day.

dirtslinger

Struck up a price over the phone today, and headed over to take a good look at it today after work, if it's as clean and runs and drives as good as he says, I'll be driving it down to the 500. Just wish it had AC.

I think she's more of a street truck, but I really like the look and that's about all I'll be using it for.

John Bitting

Administrator
Struck up a price over the phone today, and headed over to take a good look at it today after work, if it's as clean and runs and drives as good as he says, I'll be driving it down to the 500. Just wish it had AC.

I think she's more of a street truck, but I really like the look and that's about all I'll be using it for.
Good luck, if you get it post up more pics of it here for us to drool over.

dirtslinger

And another one I took when I drove by it yesterday, but for sure, I'll post up pics tonight, I don't see why I wouldn't buy it. Wish the front end was a little wider to fill up those huge fenders. I guess I'll have to learn what it needs to do that.

Attachments

Kyle D

That's a very cool looking truck! You don't find stuff built a long time ago that is that clean very often. It's usually been taken out and thrashed. Nice find!!

dirtslinger

Here's a few pictures, and one from what it looked like back in the day, whenever that was. Maybe someone will recognize it.

Attachments

dirtslinger

Well, it has a story, not sure how accurate it is as it has come thru a few people to the owner I got it from.

Was built by Duffco as a show truck, they trailered it out to races and shows and showed it off, then it somehow was in the show room at Felix Chevrolet for a while, from there got put in a Warehouse for some years, was bought from and moved to San Pedro, where that owner decided he didn't like the red and blue paint scheme, so he painted it silver and grey and changed the bumper colors, then my neighbor found it a couple years ago.

Not sure how accurate some of that is, but either way, it's been right down the street from me for the last couple years, and I just happen to be casually looking for an old pre-runner, and it popped up.

Bro_Gill

Duffco was Paul Duffy, I think. His dad raced buggies in the 70s and the built and raced stuff in the 80s and 90s. I think you can still find him out there, maybe in the I.E. area around Covina.