• Forum membership has its advantages....

clicking driveshaft.

sam_i

when i drive my 2wd toy (prerunner wannabe). I get his clicking sound which varies with the speed i am driving at, irrespective of the gear im in. It goes away sometimes, but always returns shortly thereafter.

My driveline angle is pretty tame however I have recently done a rear spring swap to increase travel (from 7.5" to 12")and i'm thinking this reconfiguration may have casue some already tired driveshaft bearing to quit on me.

The sound seems to be comming from under the cab - so i am thinking carrier bearing. I was thinking of taking the driveshaft out and checking how the bearing spins.

Does anyone have experince wth this stuff? anything to watch out for?

thanks
samir

"..... damn Jimmy, that some ass good coffee"

Waldo

Safehouse
Check the bearings in the driveshaft. On my old toy, I had to replace the u-joints because the needle bearings inside were completely shot. It was a long bed toy so the drive shaft had a joint in the middle to change out as well. My truck would click and clank all the time, especially just on the gas or coming off of it. The noise got worse the more I procrastinated!

Look under your truck and grab your shaft. Jimmy it back and forth to see if the joints have any slack in them. If so, your bearings are in need of a change. You can get them at any pep boys or toy dealer for not too expensive. Hope this helps!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Ryno

That clicking is the U joint under stress, with no grease. They are cheap, like 10 bucks. They do take a large hammer and a backing block.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

sam_i

thanks waldo, ryno

i now feel more confident digging into this

samir

DPpatrol

The driveshaft may also be out of balance or bent. Check the driveshaft for any dings, then jack up the rear of the truck so both rear wheels are off the ground and put the truck in 1st gear and let the clutch out so it spins the rear wheels. Then look at the drive shaft as it spins and look to see if the driveshaft wavers or ocillates as it spins. If it does you'll need a new shaft. They're about $45 at the junk yard.

jason

sam_i

Re: clicking driveshaft-update

well did some inspection last night.
The driveshaft had no play in it (at the joints) - couldnt budge it at all and it doesnt have any dents..etc in it.
I did notice he pinion seal was leaking - so i am going to start there and replace that baby. will maybe come across what was causing the noise while i'm at it.

will keep you posted

samir

tkr

Re: clicking driveshaft-update

If you're going to pull the driveshaft to replace the pinion seal, I'd highly recommend replacing the u-joints at the same time. They're cheap, and more than likely where your noise is coming from anyway...even though there isn't any noticable play.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing