CLORV thoughts needed

Stan

Reaction
Cut and dried, I don't like some of the politicians they have endorsed. Some of these people are pretty liberal.

In 2000, I e-mailed them that I had a problem concerning this and why did they endorse the people they did. They explained to me that these people were incumbents and had shown a tendency to vote pro land use. Yet, in one election, they endorsed the incumbent and the guy running against the same politician was a gearhead, was conservative and a fairly stand up type of guy. Basically, they told me they had not researched the candidates before the election and went with what they had, which I think is not a good way to do business.

Some of these incumbents, like I said before are pretty liberal and on other issues such as gun control and taxes, plan give it to us in the butt. Personally, I see a big crossover in philosphies such as off roading, gun rights and taxes and believe that a coalition of groups should come together and stand up and fight for our rights.

Now that I've said that, I want your thoughts on this subject since my club is voting on who we are going to join next.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

martininsocal

Reaction
stan- this occurs in several ather instabces such as labor and union groups. what happens is the politician is asked a few pointed questions about the subject. usually very narrow in scope and only dealing with the issue at hand, such as "how do you feel about multiple use for public land?" or "do you think all off hiway vehicle use should be banned?" if the person answers in the way the group asking wants them to, then thay are not opposed by the group. and in most cases, an incumbent gets automatic approval because they are usually re-elected and it also relieves a lot of pressure on the group to go out and stump for that individual. the biggest key in questioning is to make them precise, with no wiggle room for the person to have an excuse to do something differently. in both questions above, the politician can give an answer that would satisfy the group and still do what they don't want them to. "do you think all off hiway vehicle use should be banned? "no" could mean "but, most of it should be."

If your gonna go, go BIG

Stan

Reaction
And that's why I loved being a Teamster for two years. Couldn't stand all the friggin stuff I got telling me to vote for this pinko and that pinko paid for by my union dues.

Paige

Reaction
Well I can see your confusion – why would an off-road org endorse someone that is seemingly liberal - well it’s just part of the game really. As an exec BOD member of CLORV I can say that CLORV has accomplished a lot for our community and looks at each endorsement for the greater good. They host a lobbying Day each year where those participating fly up to Sac for a 4 day stay and get trained and then go talk to the senators and assemblyman in our state and lobby for our rights. We actually hit the dems hard and then stop by and say hi to our supporters. I went this year and it was an eye opener in the process.

CLORV is a lobbying group – lobbying in Sacramento for off-roaders rights. Endorsing candidates and doing everything to ensure that those in power are going to be pro-land use and pro-off-road. As Kalifornia is a democratic state with the executive and legislative branches being both dems, CLORV looks at the possibility of who will win in an area and determines based on their responses to the questionnaires that are sent out, who is pro-land use and pro-off-road, based on the responses they will endorse the best possible candidate in a district. And sometimes if in a certain district a liberal is favored and seems to be pro-off road, then they will get the endorsement. There are several dems that own a bike or atv and mention in their responses that they go off-roading with their families. During our lobbying day we were educating the legislative members about bills introduced that were harmful to recreation – CLORV determined who needed to be visited, what bills we opposed and what bills we favored.

CLORV looks at who will most likely be in power and who will be willing to look at our side of things. If we play party lines in a state where the liberals hold the cards, we won’t get anywhere – there must be some sort of balance. The endorsements are done via committee. For example ~ In March I sat with the rest of CLORV board as we were trying to decide who to endorse for Governor. Rirdon didn't win the GOP nomination so now we had to decide....It was a tough decision, who should we pick? Simon or Davis? Davis is more middle of the road, Simon more conservative. How are people going to vote? Who is going to win? Who is willing to work with us? That is what CLORV must try and predict ....so we said okay Simon most likely won't take Kalifornia, he is too conservative for the voting populus. So the question is do we endorse Simon and alienate Davis who has been pro-off road? Or endorse Davis over Simon who is more conservative and may be better overall for Cali? There is the dilemma...in the end weighing all the factors and odds...Davis got the nod over Simon from an off-road view point. You may not agree - but that is how this game is played. Many members of the CLORV BOD are campaigning for Simon, but CLORV has endorsed Davis for two reasons 1. he has put people in charge of OHVMR who are fantastic and great to work with 2. He’ll most likely win and we want to keep him as an ally.

So I guess that is it – you can make your decision from there.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Stan

Reaction
Thank you for the explanation. Out of all the e-mails and posts I made on other sites about this, you gave me the answer I was needing and I really appreciate the response.

I understand the thought process at CLORV. I do have one more question, does the powers that be at CLORV ever brainstorm with other groups such as gun owner groups and other conservative groups? I'm just kind of curious and trying to learn more about the political aspect of the land use movement. It seems like the movement is kind of closed off and for example, when I ask something, seems like a lot of replies I get are of the nature "the answer is a secret and you don't need to know." Is the land use movement "paranoid" so to speak?

Again, thank you for your reply and if you don't mind, I would like to post it on my club's message board since some other members had questions after I mentioned my concerns.

Stan

Paige

Reaction
Stan - go ahead and re-post my response if you feel that it will help people understand the role of CLORV in this battle.

As for your question about working with other groups - Yes. CLORV clients are off-road clients, however several user groups are part of the "team" that makes up this land use battle. For example CLORV organized a meeting with BLM state director, Mike Poole, last year. In the meeting we had represetatives from several assemblymen's offices, members from American Disabilities Assoc, Americans for Forest Access, a couple Equestrian groups, grazing, mining, Several OHV orgs, our lawyer, etc.

The land use fight has moved from an OHV movement to a multiple use movement. So CLORV's mission is to focus on off-roaders, but yes the brainstorming and cooperation with other user groups is a central part of "getting it done."

As far as the paranoia goes - Hell yes everyone is paranoid - I censor a lot of what I say, re-read each post and delete half of what I wrote before I post it. Here is why - they use it against us! They monitor web-sites, e-mails and even listen in on conversations, they take whatever they can and either use it as a basis for a lawsuit or use it to counter whatever we are doing to keep lands open ~ so yes there is a lot of paranoia out there - cause we know there are more lawsuits coming!

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Stan

Reaction
Thank you.