clutch removal and instalation

Eric_M

Reaction
hey,
my clutch is going to finally die in a few days. i am going to be doing the removal of my old clutch and the instalation of the new one here at my house because i want to keep the price down to needed parts and tools, and i take great pride in knowing that i fixed my truck my self. BTW my truck is an 89 toyota single cab, 4cl with the 4 speed manule trans (i dont know if you needed this but you got it anyway) but i need to know if there is anything i should watch out for , how do i notice if anything is warn or broken (ive never seen the inside of my transmision so im asking the people that have) should i replace anything besides the clutch while i got it out of the truck? how easy or difficult will it be for a first timer? basicly i need as much help as posible, i will be replacing my clutch this coming monday (12-2) or teusday (12-3) feel free to PM me offering help or much needed info. thanks in advance for your info guys/gals!!! Later

Eric

sand is for people who lack the skills to navigate objects

ntsqd

Reaction
Buy a clutch kit. It will come with the pressure plate, the disc, and the throw-out bearing. There is a pilot bearing in the flywheel or rear of the crank (some brands do it one way, others do it the other - can't recall which way Toyota's are) that needs to be checked. I think some kits will come with one, most don't. It if doesn't spin smoothly it needs replacing. Given that you have to do the same work to replace it if it goes bad later (R&R the trans), you may want to just replace it now.
The surface of the flywheel where the disc rubs against it should be smooth and have no blue spots in it. There should also not be any small cracks. If you are even slightly unsure about if it's OK to use it the way it is I think you ought to have it surfaced. Find a good engine machine shop to do this b4 you pull the truck apart.
I have seen one company that offers a clutch kit that includes a surfaced flywheel, and then you send your old one back as a core. I don't know if those are only available to shops (where I saw it), or if the general public can get them too.

Buy a clutch kit form a known entity. Your local speed shop or off road supplier should be able to get a Centerforce kit if you want to go that way. Marlin (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch.html>http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch.html</A>) offers kits for 4wd's, they might be the same. He is a genuinely good guy and will tell you whether it will work or not. I notice his kits come with the pilot bearing and the disc alignment tool.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

evan_clanin

Reaction
definatly make sure to check the flywheel, and like stated befor no blue spots

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

Eric_M

Reaction
what do the blue spots mean? or tell me? remember im new so any ifo no matter how simple is much appreciated. thanks

Eric

michael_loomis

Reaction
the blue spots are hot spots were the surface of the flywheel gets very uneven. a perfectly flat flywheel is a must or else your clutch will chatter and/or slip and wont last very long

yotatech

Reaction
i did the clutch on my 4x4 yota on the ground it wasnt to bad, the hardest part was getting the transmission out. my suggestion is to go to the toyota dealer and get a whole kit, mine came with disc, pressureplate, throw out bearing, and pilot bearing. you should replace them all at once. Make sure you have a clutch disc alignment tool, otherwise itll be difficult centering the disc and the transmission wont go in. also youll have to get the shifter out of the way and the best way is to put your arms around the trans, lift up the boot around the shifter and there will be a ring that you have to push down and turn, it will unlock the shifter and make it easy to get the trans out.

Thats my 2 cents, hope everything works out.

Eric_M

Reaction
well, i just thought i would let you guys know that im takin the truck apart as you read this post and im hoping to have it back together by tomorrow night and runing better than before!! ill keep all of you informed how it goes and this will be the first place i come to post a question or problem i run into.

Eric

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
The transmission does not have to come all the way out, just slide it rearward and use a strap under it and around the frame to hold it up, saves a litttle time if your doing it solo, it is a pain to handle the transmission

If your gunna go.........go Ghetto...

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
Yup, I agree, just slide the transmission backwards. I propped it up on a floor jack and just slid it back while I did the clutch.

Eric_M

Reaction
well its nice to have you guys speak up, i slacked off a bit and didnt really work on it. but dont i still have to drop it all the way to get to the T/O bearring?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
the transmission will slide back far enough to get to the throw out bearing. If you have not purchased a clutch kit yet, Autozone has them for around $100 with lifetime warranty. Plate, Disc and t/o bearing. They hold up well for what I use my truck for. I have exchanged mine four times so far. (new motor, leaking seal, ect. no questions asked)

If your gunna go.........go Ghetto...

Eric_M

Reaction
hey thanks for the info Pat!! but this is my first time even lookin in a transmision so.... (for me) i would think it would be easier to find things and work on everything while ive got it out of the truck so i could see everything on the inside, instead of kina lookin at it while im on my back. just a thought. but ive got plenty of people to help me if i run into problems or need to drop it or rais it back in. but ill try the "slide back" thing and see if that works for me. thanks Pat!