• Forum membership has its advantages....

CODE Class 950

ace_photo

GET SOME
CODE has did some updating to their rules. Basically the same as class 11 in terms of suspension.

Class 950: All the same rules as Class 9, except rear transmission will be allowed to use IRS, must be type 1 trans, type 2 CV joints ok, rear trailing arms must be stock but can be reinforced.

Right now they're running both 9 and 950 together. No clear advantage except in maintenance/prep.

Last edited:

tapeworm

I’ll bite. I discussed these issues with my trans builder. He said it was such a pain to find the right material to make Chromoly axle tubes for my last service that he even said that the change to IRS might be more cost effective.

I’ve looked at the rules myself a few times and during my next trans service my car will be converted to IRS. Discussing costs, it is basically a new diff, which is the billet 091 diff somewhere around $1000, a few small new gears inside, and new side covers and output flanges. Were estimating total cost to convert the trans to somewhere around $1500-$2000 for all the best parts. Again, just an estimate.

We talked about arms. Boxed stock arms are cheap, but the reason the 1600 guys moved away from them a long time ago was because they kept beating the beating carriers put of them and people were constantly having to shim them up and replace them. Even allowing an aftermarket arm at stock length might keep costs a little lower long term. Only issue with that is now you can only run short torsion bars with a 33 inch tire because of clearance issues.

Here is the rules as I would foresee them being written:

Transmission:
Type 1 bug 4 speed transmission only. Only VW helical cut gears may be used. Any manufacturers 1st and 2nd mainshaft may be used as long as stock ratio is used. An manufacturers close ratio 3rd and 4th gear ratios permitted. Heavy duty side covers and diff allowed. 4.12 and 4.37 ring and pinion ratios only. NO 3.88 ring and pinion ratios or close ratio 1st and 2nd gears allowed.

Suspension:
Rear suspension must use VW Type 1 IRS arms only. Stock shock mount may be removed but rear shocks must bolt directly to rear arm. NO remote mounted rear shocks. Rear arms must retain stock size, shape, and configuration with material added for strength. Same rear shock rules apply.

Axles and Driveline: VW Type 1 or 2 CV joints only. No lightened or grooved CV’s allowed. VW Type 1, 2, or 181 stub axles allowed. Any manufacturers axle allowed. Gun drilled axles not permitted.

These rules should greatly reduce maintenance costs inside the transmission. We won’t know how long arms will last until someone is racing on them consistently. My car will get converted and I will race sportsman or the champ car class once my trans is due for service. It’s too expensive to replace the parts in there so often.

salttedsnails

I'm pretty new to class 9 and racing all together. But, I kinda hope this 950 thing catches on. I've only done 2 races and both times I have had to pull the transmission for repairs. I dont have a whole ton of connections at this point, but finding VW stamped parts is one thing I found to be really challenging with this Class. I don't think more classes are the answer, but I think letting class 9 run more reiable parts might increase the amount of people who race it. I have several friends that want to get into racing, but all of them are turned off to class 9 after seeing the struggle I went through to get a set axles, bearing housings, drums, and a whole lot more. Most of them want run SxS just for the availibilty of parts, and I dont blame them. After my first race I was talking to a guy who races 1/2 1600, His inital cost was higher but his prep was a lot cheper than mine. All of this has made me start looking at changing classes.

BW1672

Yah. They totally ruined class 5, 10, and 6100. No need to bring the 1600 pity party to this thread.
Hopefully i get my buddies 9 car and someday we can battle each other. We run a 7s truck in code have not seen many 9 cars running.

tapeworm

Hopefully i get my buddies 9 car and someday we can battle each other. We run a 7s truck in code have not seen many 9 cars running.
Hopefully more cars enter with CODE’s new rules. I understand rule changes aren’t always made for the better, but sometimes it is necessary. The only expensive part about class 9 is the transmission. I think if we find a way to bring that maintenance cost down there will be an increase in entries.

The only reason I’m not converting my car right now is because I just paid to have the trans rebuilt. Next time the transmission comes out of my car it will be going IRS. Even my trans builder who has been in the business since the 70’s said it is getting hard to find the right parts for an off road swingaxle.

BW1672

We Will be at night race but in 7s. Hopefully some cars show up would like to see a irs car in person

Grease Weed

I no longer race 9 as of this year, sold my car. I can tell you this though, if you want to make the swing axle trans last, open up the trans, disc brakes, and ditch the steel wheels and go aluminum. Lighten the unsprung weight by 30-40 pounds per side?! It’s that simple. Otherwise leave the class alone. NO IRS.

ace_photo

GET SOME
I no longer race 9 as of this year, sold my car. I can tell you this though, if you want to make the swing axle trans last, open up the trans, disc brakes, and ditch the steel wheels and go aluminum. Lighten the unsprung weight by 30-40 pounds per side?! It’s that simple. Otherwise leave the class alone. NO IRS.
Why no IRS? The original premise of the class was to take advantage of stuff that no one was using, plentiful and cheap. Thats no longer the case with swingers. Or brake drums.
All the other things you suggested should happen too. It will make a car that lasts and cheap to run.

ace_photo

GET SOME
I'm pretty new to class 9 and racing all together. But, I kinda hope this 950 thing catches on. I've only done 2 races and both times I have had to pull the transmission for repairs. I dont have a whole ton of connections at this point, but finding VW stamped parts is one thing I found to be really challenging with this Class. I don't think more classes are the answer, but I think letting class 9 run more reiable parts might increase the amount of people who race it. I have several friends that want to get into racing, but all of them are turned off to class 9 after seeing the struggle I went through to get a set axles, bearing housings, drums, and a whole lot more. Most of them want run SxS just for the availibilty of parts, and I dont blame them. After my first race I was talking to a guy who races 1/2 1600, His inital cost was higher but his prep was a lot cheper than mine. All of this has made me start looking at changing classes.
The way I understand it 950 will be absorbed into 9. Eventually they'll all convert.

Right now I know of at least four 9's being built with IRS. New cars. Thats rad. I'm going to go ahead and convert to IRS.

QurtysLyn

I'm waiting to see the actual rules as written, but I'm definitely interested in the change and seeing how it goes.

ace_photo

GET SOME
I'm waiting to see the actual rules as written, but I'm definitely interested in the change and seeing how it goes.
I copied and pasted what Poncho from CODE sent me. All other rules are regular 9 car rules.

Lifeflight

As most know, an IRS with bus C/Vs should get 12" of travel. Most current build 11's have 11" of travel with the body keeping down wheel travel.
This WILL be a real Game changer in the class. Will most likely out date all swing axle racers. I tried racing the MORE race this year only to succumb to my own wishful thinking when my bladder foam died and clogged my fuel line. But before that happened, testing went very well and my 30+ year old race car is still competitive. IRS will ruin that. As of now, planning on seeing you all once again @ BATTLE of PRIMM.

ace_photo

GET SOME
As most know, an IRS with bus C/Vs should get 12" of travel. Most current build 11's have 11" of travel with the body keeping down wheel travel.
This WILL be a real Game changer in the class. Will most likely out date all swing axle racers. I tried racing the MORE race this year only to succumb to my own wishful thinking when my bladder foam died and clogged my fuel line. But before that happened, testing went very well and my 30+ year old race car is still competitive. IRS will ruin that. As of now, planning on seeing you all once again @ BATTLE of PRIMM.
The last CODE the swingers finished 1-2 over the IRS cars. Just sayin..

ace_photo

GET SOME
Art have you already built your swingaxle and are going to convert it or are you still waiting on a trans?
Mine was built with a swing axle. I'll convert when the swinger is caput.

QurtysLyn

You might be able to get 12" out of the rear, but you're still only going to have 6" up front.

ACME

-Drum issue was solved with the Type 3 alum hat drums like the 16 cars used
-What swing axle parts aren't available?
-Ancient proverb: He who constantly breaks the trans in a S/A car, will likely also break them in IRS cars... same goes with constantly rolling, getting flats & other driver errors
-A good IRS car in a competent drivers hands will be a competitive advantage and I agree with Mr Richardson that it will cause people to park them just like major changes did in other classes. Just an opinion that I'm sure is wrong.

Now that that's solved, can we fix the Carona Virus issue???