CODE VW 250 RACE (Jan. 31- 2 Feb.)

Salvador

Reaction
Yesterday I was with the CODE guys and they give the information of the cars that have been pre-register for his race. Yesterday they were:
Class 1: 2
Class10: 4
Class 8: 8
Class 5: 7
Class 7: 9
Class 9: 15
Class 7s: 5

There going to be a lot of new people for this Race, and looks to be a big race, 99 cars all ready.
Alfonso toll me that the web page its going to be up with the info about tomorrow morning, the course its going to be a fast one with a three 77.6 miles for the PRO and 2 laps for the Class 11 and the SPORTSMAN Classes. This race its going to start at 9:00 A.M.

Mexican PreRunner

1_1600_racer

Reaction
CODE needs to update the web site, they tend not to update any information for months.
In my opinion, the web site needs to be more informative and have some pictures, at least.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
we pre-ran the dry-lake, oh wait, i mean the race track. IT SUCKED!
flat out dry lake for 35 +- miles followed by flat out dry lake for another 35+- miles (excluding a 2 mile section of bush-whacking).
The race course is a joke so we're not gonna be racing it.

Salvador

Reaction
Its in Mexicali, Baja, coming be the Tijuana to Mexicali Road.

And Victor, Maybe for you it wasnt fun at all to been at the Dry lake that in the 96 Baja 1000 (Last Baja to start in Mexicali) Were the record breaking speed for the Class 1's and TT, they were doing about 120- 128 mph, when this numbers werent part off a tipical race. The new TT or Class 1's I think that they can be at about 135+ mph, but not many oiff you like the sound a fast truck running on about 5 to 7 miles long straight sections. Its a blast.
Last Year on this race I was Co piloting for Godoy Racing Class 18 (8 Sportsman) on a all most stock motor, transmission and diff. and I calculate the mph and we were about the 90-95 mph in our truck. Then it past out CORONADO Class 8 Truck like we were standing still, think he was about 120+, but was in a bad luck he smoke the transmission just leaving the Dry lake.

The class 1's, 10's and 8's they will be very fast at this course

Mexican PreRunner

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
exactly my point salvador. It is NO fun when bogging at around 4k having to downshift to 2nd and then just have all big powered trucks and cars blast by you. The run down the lake is hard packed (somewhat) but coming back up, its all just like a swamp. We did get to see benny canela blast through it all with no problems, but again, huge motor. For the smaller, underpowered cars it'll be hell to pay.

btw, this track we're talking about is the "laguna salada" which would be just south of el centro, in mex

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
fyi :

entry list is now online

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/codeoffroad/registrovw250.htm>http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/codeoffroad/registrovw250.htm</A>

1_1600_racer

Reaction
We will be racing this race, not my favorite race course. It did not take a whole lot of brains for the guys at CODE to come up with this course.

It is CODE's season opener, and we are going after the championship, so we have race whatever CODE throws at us.

Wish us luck.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Yee haw, we are entered as 808. I'll get to drive lap 1, Ramsey the last two.
The team who has the most fun wins, right?

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
I heard that they changed part of the course to add some more rough stuff and less high speed.

martininsocal

Reaction
Maybe they should grade the whole course so rally cars can win overall?...

If your gonna go, go BIG

1_1600_racer

Reaction
This is directly from CODE:

"We did change the course a bit.
The first ten mile section has been moved over a bit to the west parallel to the dry lake, this ads just over one mile to the course but it slows the cars a bit and it will help with the dust for the first section.
The other change is on the way to the finish obout mile 65 we remarked the course a bit to the east so we can avoid the (salitre) mud and salt in the dry lake."

Hope this helps....

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
looks like Benny Canela took the overall. Race highlights, one of the mcneils plowed into a parked van too clos to the road in the dust. Lopez class 8 Bronco who also races score races, plowed at all out speed int o a stalled class 7, nasty accident, cars totaled, don know about the injury report.

el tiburon

"if something can go wrong, it'll probably will"
pinche murphy

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Was Benny car 802? Ramsey and I beat #802 by 2.5 minutes in the VIEJAS Class 8 (#808),
but were docked a position for an infraction at the finish line.

The dust was bad on the first lap. I started and at the end of the first lap was able
to use the big Fords hp to break into clear air after picking off several cars. We
decided to have me do the second lap also so we would not get back in the dust.
The second lap was mostly clear air and I had a blast, running a good 60 miles with
the throttle totally matted. I handed the VIEJAS Class 8 over to Ramsey after the
second lap in second place, 2 min down on #802. Ramsey turned in a blistering
3rd lap, closing to within 20 seconds of #802 at the finish, beating him on time.

Unfortunately, a few hundred yards before the finish, someone flagged a spectator
truck across the track just as Ramsey was coming in hot at 105mph. Ramsey pitched the
truck sideways narrowly missing the spectator truck and just barely gathered it back
under control at the finish line but slid thru the finish stop hitting and breaking the
stop sign. Luckily nobody was hurt but we did break the rules by not stopping at
the stop sign so we were docked a position. It was a fun race, we had a blast
and look forward to running the remaining CODE races in Class 8 with VIEJAS.

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
Actually joe heger-mcallum ? took the overall in his #504 5 car, Beny was 802, not sure what place he finished in, the 801 black bronco driven by Juan Carlos Lopez (the PIN car) is the one in the serious accident, he plowed over a 7 truck, who on his first race, flipped, ended up in the middle of the course and 801 ran over him, litteraly, both cars totalled, no injury info yet. i did see the Viejas truck, i was all the way down by check one, saw you guys running fast, looked like a pro truck....only a little bit "more experienced car".

good to hear you guys will keep racing the code circuit, san felipe is a great race and for years end its gonna be Ensenada-Mexicali-San Felipe......looking more and more like the baja 500.

el tiburon

"if something can go wrong, it'll probably will"
pinche murphy