• Forum membership has its advantages....

Coil-carriers vs. Coil-overs

JoeB

Coil-overs are a shock plus coil-carrier. A coil-carrier just holds the coil and you would allow your bypass shocks to do the dampening.

Joe

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
When you are using stock coils you can only get so much travel before the coils pop out of their location because of the scissor action but if you are using coil over shock , the shock has pivot points at the end so the coil stays straight at all times hope this helps..
Rick G

El Chinero

<<<When you are using stock coils you can only get so much travel before the coils pop out of their location because of the scissor action but if you are using coil over shock , the shock has pivot points at the end so the coil stays straight at all times hope this helps..
Rick G>>

good description ... +10

Tony T
El Chismoso

Steve_HKmtrsprts

I was originally told that a coil-carrier was pretty much the same thing a coil-over except it is like a shock with no valving. Is there a Trophy Truck out there that runs the coil-carrier, bypass shock combo. I thought I read in a spec somewhere? Just wondering!!

I just looked and under Skunkz, the Donahoe Unlimited car is running a coil-carrier set-up. Does anyone have good pics of the set-up?
Thanks!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Steve_HKmtrsprts on 04/12/01 11:45 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

Greg

Steve, from what Ive been told a "coli-carrier" form any present day shock manufacturer is just a coil-over sans valving. But the prices for coil-carriers are about the same as a complete shock. You might as well buy the shock and run very light valving and run a little less valving in the bypass ( spread some of the heat around). Just my two cents.

Greg

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I agree with Greg. You might as well run about 50% of you valving in the coil-over and then fine tune the rest with the bypass. All a shock does is convert energy! Motion to heat. The better you do this the better control you will have. If you want to get the real low down on shocks I recomend calling Bret at King shocks. He will help you with all your shock ?'s..

Tony

Jack

Greg , You got it first. Use a light valve it coil over and adjust with bypass. If you get to where the bypass is running hot you add more to the coil over and backdown the bypass valving to balance.