Coil over springs

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
So on my coil over shocks. I have them off the truck and they appear to be loose like the preload adjuster is not down far enough. On the shock lBut if I turn it down to where they are tight then they will make the back of my truck to high

So is it ok to be loose when off the truck. I keep thinking if I ever broke a limit strap. While in the air. I might be in trouble?

Thanks for any advice

Reaction
Or tender springs.

EOR1488

Reaction
Whats the length of the coil or coils if you have a dual spring set up? Whats the weight? May need to change the set up a little to get the ride height you want and have some pre load, which isnt a bad thing. How much shock shaft is showing at ride height?

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
Fox 16" shocks with a. 18 bottom and 16" top. All is good on the truck and the limit straps do just that but the shocks are off the truck. And the springs are loose. It appears they need about 2" more preload but that would make the back too high right now There is about 1 " preload while on the truck. And it's all good
Guess I just have to adjust a little here and there Too busy working on headers right now. I will get back at it

Last edited:

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Change the upper spring, by 50 lbs. Readjust the preload and the cross over.

gwizz

Reaction
you need at least 2-3" preload on the shock fully extended for it to work properly.

longer softer top spring is the solution.

i would avoid tenders.

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
Yea thats what i thought and its fine on the truck. Just loose when its on the shelf. So im not sure what i need to do about that if anything

I shouldnt have an issue as long as the limit straps hold i have two on each side

gwizz

Reaction
he has loose coils at full extension. pretty sure thats "not da wae". granted if he straps his suspension where they are not loose then that is a form of "preload". still not the right way tho.

there is some thread on here where brett king basically says dont care about the rates, only ride height and the preload. then you guys get all engineer and argue with him bout it lol,but for reals the coilovers are supposed to have 2-3inches of preload fully extended. if it doestn you have the wrong spring combo.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Ask Gerarado Iribe or Todd Tenbrook about spring rate. They both say about the same thing even though they come from 2 different company's. Those 2 guys have set-up more winning cars than probably everybody else combined.

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
Well the guy that tuned the shocks said he could put in a spacer to limit how far it goes down, kind of seems counter productive to me. Anyone ever heard of this