Coil overs and Duffco ?

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Ok this kid just dropped his truck off with me tonight and he wants 2.5 kings that he bought from baja concepts to be put on it. The truck has duffco long travel and nothing else, it is a 94 yota 4cyl and a standard cab 2wd. Putting them in is the easy part but I have heard some things about this combo that needs some clarifacation.

1. Supposedly the upper arm hits the coilover when installed at some point during the cycle

2. The shocks are valved 15/15 most of the shocks that i see come from brett are valved 15/15 Does anyone suggest anything else?

3. One of the kids friends said that the springs, a 500 12" under a 400 10" is too much spring for it? Now we put kings on a supercrew that ran a 500 on the bottom and a 350 on the top and it was perfect. to me this seems like a lot of spring rate for half the GVW of the super crew?

Thanks
Dave

yotatech

Reaction
have you talked to dan vance? i believe he ran that setup on his truck.

cleartoy

Reaction
Im running the Total Chaos Uniball kit(same length arms as Duffco) with 2.5x10 SAWs, 400 10" upper spring, 500 12" bottom spring and it does great.

The upper arm should not hit the shock.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I think the Duffco arms are 2" over each side and the Total Chaos arms are 3 1/2" over on each side....

We had the Duffco arms on Dan's truck with 2.5 coiliovers. The upper arm will hit the coilover at FULL droop which is why you limit the travel a little bit with limit straps. Other than that the kit will work fine. We ran it for 1 1/2 years on Dan's trucks with little to no problems so it should work great for ya!

WFODAN

Reaction
The upper arm would barely contact the coil at full droop . Not really enough to worry about . i don't even remember it ever scratching the coil , so we didn't worry about it . It is a very tight fit so the position of the coilover has to be exact . When the arm touched the coil,the coil was also was about an eighth inch off the frame . That's why I say you have to be exact with it .

As for coil rates , we ran a 450 over a 500 . It felt a little stiff on the small stuff but it worked well in the rough . I believe my valving was 15/15 with only two bleed holes in the piston . All in all it worked great, we pounded it, and we won races with it . The kid should be pleased with the results .

Dan Vance

1992f150

Reaction
Just call duffco and ask them.
I talked to dan awhile ago about it and you can run a c/o but travel will be limited so the upper arm doesnt hit the coilover. Both his truck and the race truck run custom torsion bars...

WFODAN

Reaction
On the travel statement ........ I can clarify that for you . I was told and had heard the same thing about putting the coilovers on . Once they were on , it lost no travel at all . That was why I said at full droop it would touch . Not bind , or hit, but only at full droop would it barely touch . If you pulled the straps and bumps off , it would go bind to bind on the uniball without any more pressure on the coil . Losing travel on that kit by putting on coilovers is a myth . It's just alot more work .

Dan Vance

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
By your decsription of spring lenghts are you using a 12" coilover? If so they will be difficult to mount. I had a hard time fitting a 10" coilover. The stock master cylinder is the culprit.

I am using a 500lb lower coil as well, my arms are 6" over per side and they seem to work ok, actually a litle soft, I am going to get a set of 550 or 600 coils and see if they are better.

The valving is a secret, if I told you I would have to kill you.............lol

cleartoy

Reaction
Both Duffco and TC 2wd pre tacoma arms are +3" per side according to their websites.

And i agree, mounting a coilover on a Toy is tight with the master cylinder\brakebooster, frame.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Thanks for all the help.

Oncontrare mon frare (sp) The shocks are 10" with 12" spring and a 10" spring, And for the shock hitting the M/C I have a little secret for that.... Here is what I am going to do.

The duffco arms are plate steel and hollow, with a tubular strut. I am going to pull the arms, put them on the Mill and hawg them out and drop the coilover mounting point about an inch or so, from the top plate on the arm and the bolt will go through a tube, which will be stronger than the just "tabs" and it will look trick as hell, as well as gain some internal bracing. I will post pics when it is done. I should have it cranked out by sunday.

Correction on the "pooper"-crew spring rate. It was a 750 under a 450 rate. I leave the springs and the shock how it is and tell him that races have been won on that setup.

DuffcoDan

Reaction
the coil-over shocks will work fine on the duffco kit... as dan vance had mentioned you are not going to loose travel with the coil-overs installed. the shock will just have to be mounted inboard on the lower arm to get the shock to stand up straighter at full droop. we do custom spindles to open up the gap for the shock. this isn't exactly ideal when we are talking about setting up the shocks. it takes the spring longer to ramp up and get stiff if the shock is not moving much. On the toyota the shock moves less than 8" (correct me if I am wrong Dan or Fish). in this situation the c/o's will require more spring rate and more valving to get them to work properly. when we compare this with an I-beam ranger we can mount the coil-over closer to the wheel to give us more movement on the shock per movement on the tire. this is where you can get the greatest rate of progresion on the spring. the other concern we have is the length of the shock. Dan Vance's truck has a 2" body lift. when we mounted the coil-overs this helped to gain some clearance away from the brake master cylinder, but it is still tight with a 10" king shock, which measures 28.375"ext/ 18.375"comp.. the 10" saw shocks are a little easier to squeeze in there at 26"ext/ 16" comp.. We also found that a single rate coil works well to keep the truck more stable on turns. I don't recomend cutting into the arm to mount your shock. the inside of the lower arm has supports near shock mount location and bump stop. so to make my long story short... the coil-over shocks will work great as long as you can fit the cage work and mounting tabs in and around the brake booster and the intake manifold.