Coilover Problem

VisualizeF150

Reaction
I need some help. My driver side coilover a 2.5 king. The spacer between the 2 coils is rubbing on the body of my shock and sometimes catches and makes a horrible noise. The only thing i can think of is to spray WD-40 or some lube on it so it slides smoother. What else could cause this?? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

cleartoy

Reaction
Are the coils cut or bent??????

The slider is supposed to rub on the body straight up and down.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
thats normal every coilover does it there really is nnothing you can do to stop it that piece has to move some just rub worse than others....Mike

hxckidd

Reaction
i got a aluminum spacer from kartek that seems to work way better then the ones i had before. The spacer doesnt get caught on the threads anymore and the ride is way more quiet you might try that.

billymanfroy

Reaction
We had the same problem with brand new ones. You absolutely MUST clean the hell out of them and NEVER go through mud and just hose them off and think they're cool. They actually get packed up in there with dirt/mud and then it cooks it with the friction. DO NOT spray ANY kind of oil in there, just take them off and clean the hell out of them with scotch brite or 200-400 wet sandpaper. If you do go in the mud, you can really help things by covering the coils (at least where the slider rides) with a splash guard. Sounds silly know, but it works.

Dylan

Reaction
The coils on the slider have a “happy spot” sometimes.
Try rotating the upper and lower coils relative to each other until you find an orientation were it doesn’t want to rooster sideways as bad then mark the end of each coil on the slider with a sharpie to make sure you get it back together rite when you take it apart

A well designed coil is “half wound”, meaning that the end of the wire at one end of the coil is 180 degrees from the end of the wire on the other end and it has an active # of coils that ends in .5 ie: 10.5 turns or 13.5 turns. Coils made this way are less likely to get a bow in them. If you are designing a coil for max travel and efficiency sometimes this cant be avoided though.