coilover shock part identification

o0JMH0o

Reaction
I am sort of new to this and I have a question about a part on my coilover. I was wondering what these "locking nuts" are? If they are locking nuts what are they locking? Are they even called locking nuts? Any info would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 121

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Crossover rings. Used to adjust where the second (lower) springs comes in (takes over).

o0JMH0o

Reaction
Ok, that makes sense. The reason I ask is because I was told that tightening my coils would help with my negative camber issue / \. As I tightened the coils the crossover rings sparked my interest.

This brings me to my next question. Should I have tightened the coils? Also there seems looks to be a heim joint at one end of the I beam, would adjusting that be a better alternative?

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 119

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
I can't answer your I beam question. Tightening the coils (adding preload) simply raises or lowers the truck. If you have two crank in more than 2" of preload to get the truck set, then you will have to think about going up on the upper spring (rate).

mrmatt

Reaction
I can't answer your I beam question. Tightening the coils (adding preload) simply raises or lowers the truck. If you have two crank in more than 2" of preload to get the truck set, then you will have to think about going up on the upper spring (rate).

Ditto on the springs

As for the heim joint it depends on how much (or little) thread you have out of the beam already. I am sure someone on here can give you a good rule of thumb as to a starting point.

Is that as close as you can get to a zero camber with the camber adjuster? How many degrees are you camber adjusters?