• Forum membership has its advantages....

Coilover Shocks

chevydude7

Shock street laws

I'm going to buy some coilover shocks for my truck but im going to be moving to Colorado in a few months and I was wondering if they would be legal there. I looked on the internet and it says "it is illegal to drive a vehicle with the front or rear suspension altered or changed from the manufacturers design. Heavy duty springs and shock absorbers are allowed." So would I fall under the category of a heavier shock absorber? I'm not actually changing the control arm or anything so that would still be the original design just the shock.. Anyone have any thoughts on this? thanks.

Last edited:

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
What kind of truck? There are some Coloradans on here.

Co-Dog

If you look in the California vehicle code, you will find that modifying or altering anything on a vehicle is a violation. I assume it is the same in Colorado. Whether or not it is enforced, is what you need to know. These type of laws are in place to prevent you from driving a monster truck on the street. They get enforced when your vehicle looks like it may not be safe or when they can't find a real reason to pull you over. California plates in Colorado is what gets their attention. You could call the state troopers just to see what they say.

chevydude7

Yeah it comes stock with coilovers. I think that if I just change to an aftermarket coilover they won't bug me because technically I'm not changing the original design I would just be putting a heavier duty spring and shock in which is legal. although those bright blue kings will bring a lot of attention considering that not very many people there have those shocks. Now if I changed the control arm that would be a differen story I would think.You've got a good point too co dog they don't like californians very much over there :)

chevydude7

I just talked to the sergeant of the polce dept in Colorado and he said it's all good and not to worry bout it.

firedog

We run aftermarket suspension and have friends that run aftermarket suspension w/coilovers and have never had any problems. I don't think you will either. Where in CO are you moving to?