CoilOver Spring Rate Question..

Timberwlf

Reaction
Well I just got my new coilovers on and the front feels a bit stiff. Unfortnally I cant drive the truck yet due to current transmission problems. any way I was wondering what spring rates and valving is good for a ranger 4x4 with the 4.0. The current specs are:

14in King PreRunner shocks
valving is 13 compression and 11 Rebound (thats what the tag from king says)
Coil Rates are 350 over 450

any information or sudjections would be great =)

Brandon
AVPrerunners.com

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 4.0L Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck/ Future 7 Unlimited Race Truck

V8Ranger

Reaction
Alot depends on how and where the shocks are mounted the shocks are mounted. I'd recommend checing out sway-aways website. They have a spring calculator.

Timberwlf

Reaction
this is basically how the shocks are mounted (insightful Drawing but ya get the Idea)

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Those rates actually sounds kinda soft to me! Cause I have a Toyota 4X4 with the 3.0 V6 and I am running 500lb over 550lb and it seems to work pretty good.

Go Big Or Go Home

drtdevil93

Reaction
his, being i beam, are nearly direct. yours, being a arm has much more leverage against it

erik

Flea

Reaction
Yah definatley check out swayaway.com because they have all the fun equations and it tells you how to do them step by step. Just go to the calculations page.

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Brandon,

I am running the same shocks on the front of my ranger (2wd / 4.0L). My spring rates are 275 over 450 I believe. As for the valving? I am not sure, Bret didn't have them tagged.. I have my shock mounted right over the beam where the radius arm connects. I like the ride. It could be a bit softer for the street and high freq chop. I agree with everyone else and say go to the sway-away site.

Are you running the 4wd?

Tony
www.y-not-productions.com

Timberwlf

Reaction
Tony,

At the moment the 4wd isn't hooked up beacuse I put a c-4 behind the 4.0. Im planing on a divorced transfer case setup. Right now the front is pulling 17in travel but I have limited it to 14.5in. even in 4wd i should have no problems pulling the 14.5.

As for Sway-A-Ways site the problem im having is Sprung Weight of corner (lb.) I have no clue what this weight is on my truck (any aprox guesses??)

Thanks
Brandon
AVPrerunners.com