Coilover Springs

tkr

Reaction
At what point do you go to heavier springs for a coilover shock? We have 14" RaceRunners, and have about 5" of threads above the nut to get the ride height we want. Is that too much? Anyone know at what point the coils will stack before they bottom out?

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
You need to count the number of coils and then multiply by the dia. of the coil (compressed length). Due this for both springs. Then measure the extended length, off the car or completely drooped out. Take the full extend length minus the compressed length and that will give you how much travel the coil has.

The next thing you must consider is when are you having the secondaries come in? You may not be fully compressing the primary spring before the secondaries are coming in. What ever amount of the primary spring not used will have to be taken out of the total travel for both springs.

I know with my 14" kings the coils have much more travel then the shock. Off the top of my head I don't remember how much, but there was plenty of room to play with.

As for spring rates that is just something you must make work for yourself. If you had kings then I would tell you to call Bret. But you have SAW's.. Maybe Kreg Donahoe can help you. If you are just wondering if a stiffer primary will allow you to take preload out? The answer is yes. But this will obviously make the ride stiffer. Hope this helped some...

Tony

tkr

Reaction
That's exactly what I needed Tony, Thanks.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing