coilovers or shock with coil?

aid9522

Reaction
I was wondering if I should use coilovers on my 1993 f150 or a shock and coil separately. Are there any major differences?

Hurley37

Reaction
I was wondering if I should use coilovers on my 1993 f150 or a shock and coil separately. Are there any major differences?
Any time your using a coil spring and a shock your pretty much stuck at one spring rate and you can only get so much travel out of them without moving the coil spring back on to the radius arm. Coil overs are the way to go if you can afford them. Multiple spring rates and more travel can be made with less work in my opinion. Are you going to build Ibeams and radius arms or run the stock ones?

gwizz

Reaction
coilover. spring rate aside, the fact that you can "pre load" the shock means you will have better traction/ consistent suspension through out the full range of stroke vs a coil spring which the spring rate goes to zero as it fully unloads. plus a CO will surly have a tune-able shock.

that being said you can get away with a smooth body 2.5 on a fullsize ford, but a CO will always be better.

aid9522

Reaction
Any time your using a coil spring and a shock your pretty much stuck at one spring rate and you can only get so much travel out of them without moving the coil spring back on to the radius arm. Coil overs are the way to go if you can afford them. Multiple spring rates and more travel can be made with less work in my opinion. Are you going to build Ibeams and radius arms or run the stock ones?
Thanks for responding. I was looking at getting the autofab beam/ radius arm deal for my truck, that is why I as asking about shock/ coil setup.