Coilovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Alright guys, I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel drive, standard cab, 2.4 4 cylinder. In a few weeks I am converting to I-beams and coilovers. I am planning on running one King coilover. My engine is a little four cylinder so it is not very heavy but eventually I am going to probably put a small block Chevy or straight six in it. The coilovers I am going to put are 2.5 King dual rate. What I am thinking is should I just put a 3.0 coilover on it instead cuz my truck is going to get pretty heavy and I do not have the money to do a coilover and bypass so would a 3.0 work jsut as well or would the ride be worse. Also what spring rates should i go with???? I also have no air conditing so i have room to mount the shocks up all the way to the hood. Any input would be great. Thanks

Dylan

you can almost get a 2.5" coilover and bypass for the price of a single 3.0" bypass
as far a weight the 2.5 is fine

rdc

I am talking about price of a 2.5 and bypass compared to the price of a 3.0 coilover

rdc

Cuz I like I beams and can get converted to I beams cheaper than having A arms done. And get more travel out of the beams than arms. I am basicly looking at it by cost cuz i am a poor SOB right now.

fishd00d

What A Joke
My friend Craig did that exact same setup on his 2wd Tacoma...Perry's did his...Maybe you know him?

It works pretty good. He did great the D-Day this weekend.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

rdc

No I dont know him but I think I have seen the truck. Is it red standard cab?

Ya, his is the red std. cab tacoma. The front end works bitchin' and thats from a co-drivers stand point, a bit rough in the rear though (maybe cause we were riding one shock the whole way?). Just out of curiosity, whos taking on this project? The biggest set back in the whole deal was the steering, so keep a heads up on that aspect of the conversion.

rdc

The guy that is going to do my truck did it on his 2000 F150. He converted it without any problems. right now he is just running fabtech coils and stock coil buckets till he mounts his coilovers. But i have seen the red tacoma that you are talking about and it looks tight.

elcaprerunner

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease do NOT get I-beams. If cost is an issue the Camburg Tacoma kit $3400, I can't imagin converting to I-beams is much cheaper. With that kit you uppers, lowers, and a 2 1/2 coilover with a shock hoop and a air bump. You get 14"+ of usable, clean travel with correct geometry. With I-beams you get alot of travel but if you don't do it right then half your travel will be unusable and if you do do it right then 4-5 inches could still be unusable. Anyway if you absolutely have to get I-beams then at least do them equal length. As for your shock problem a Tacoma is light, small truck and if the shock is valved right then all you will need is a 2 1/2" coilover and an air bump stop. You could get a 3" but you won't need it. That is how everyone usually does I-beam Rangers and the trucks are pretty much the same size.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

rdc

jajaja, why dont you want me to get I beams. yes i am going to dothem equal length and i can get more travel than the camburg kit for cheaper and it is also only for the prerunner tacomas not the minis i think. and i have a mini.

Thats exactly what Craig's started life as, a mini std. cab tacoma. The reason the steering was a problem was becuase the steering box was in the way of where the coilover sits, so I think Perry used one out of an older ranger. (steering box was on the outside of the frame, now it sits inside the rail) The problem was finding the right one, which took a while. Just some thoughts to keep in mind. Craig wanted me to post this as he hasnt been granted post rights yet.....

I-beams are the best thing I could have done with my 2wd mini Tacoma. The 11'' of down travel that I get JUST GOING DOWN (let alone the 10 inches going up) is just as much as the total travel that any kit offers. Who said that the geometry will be off when you throw beams on? Mine seems to be just fine. And $3400 for the Camburg kit?? Thats not what they quoted me. More like $4450 and thats running a 6" SAW. Now Im running a 14" Dual rate King and have no complaints. Nothing but positive hombre. Feel free and check out the videos and pics from DDay. Or email me if you want specs. theorycam@yahoo.com. Im also wondering the price that they are charging you to do this.....

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
The Camburg kit is for the prerunner Tacomas and not the mini, but they do have a nice simple kit for the minis that gives 10" I think...Jerry will correct me if I am wrong. The problem with the mini tacoma is the frame is weak...it is not the same frame as the prerunner tacoma. With the cost you are looking at you can sell your truck and buy a ranger so you wont have a Fordota.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

We called it a Foyota Tacanger hehe. As far as selling it off or not, hes probobly looking at the same price or cheaper to beam, and them toyota 4 bangers do give you a bang for your buck and I have to admit are a lot better than the Ford 4 bangers, speaking from experience. (man that hurts to say, especially as a Ford guy)

TRDshaunTRD

You should have bought a ranger in the first place if you are doing that. In my opinion you are ruining it by converting to I-beams!

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

JPDesertsports

To the outsider it might be "ruined", but lots of other people ruin nice trucks everyday. Don't give him trouble for wanting to try something different. Did Henry Ford ruin the horse drawn buggy by sticking a motor on it? Anyway, good luck with the swap. I want to see pics.

TRDshaunTRD

This is not something new. People have gone the cheapest rout before. People have taken a-arm trucks and put beams on them. Why by a Toyota and then convert it? I understand trying to get the most bang for the buck, so by a ranger in the first place!

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

1992f150

hes asking about shocks not if he should put beams on, give him a break jesus christ.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

rdc

thanks 1992 f150 and JPdesertsports for the support. I cnat sell it and get a ranger cuz i dont have the $$$$, that is the biggest issue. And i bought the tacoma in the first place because i like the TACOMA. i like rangers too but i got a tacoma so that is what i am going to build.

elcaprerunner

Allright here is a couple of tips if you didn't see this already. DO YOUR I-BEAMS EQUAL LENGTH. If you don't do that then I-beams are just pointless. If they are done right then all you need is a 2 1/2" coilover and a bump stop. You DON'T need a bypass because a small truck like that is not heavy enough for one. All you need is a 2 1/2" you DON'T need a 3", that would be a waste of money.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.