• Forum membership has its advantages....

Colton and kamo get their baja 500 win overturned

OttoTeller

http://www.race-dezert.com/home/colton-and-kamos-baja-500-win-gets-overturned-19184.html

Colton and Kamo’s Baja 500 Win Gets Overturned:
Norman and Cody Get The Points

Statement By JCR’s Colton Udall:

"I think they added like 10 minutes total. I maybe gained 4-5 seconds, there was a line, a little short cut…a line I had taken in the last 500. I would’ve never taken it if I had known it would cost us like that. For such a small little deal I feel embarrassed about it. It was a pre run mistake by me and I didn’t know exactly where the spot was. It seems like I didn’t do as much of the homework I could have. It was a small mistake that cost us badly.

And there’s 100 yards of dirt where they’re rebuilding the hwy before you turn into Uruapan. I guess its just another learning lesson on my part and just adding it to my experience.

It’s a down day today…Thinking that we had won yesterday was awesome, that made me feel good for everything I put into it. I pretty much gave it everything that I had and Kamo did an amazing job. If I think about how I felt yesterday, it felt really good but it still didn’t compare to how I felt when Ox and I won the last San Felipe 250. Winning with OX in the 250 was one of the best moments of my life."

OttoTeller

This is NOT about who “won” or “lost” the BAJA 500 anymore…And this isn’t about taking anything away from Kendall and Quinn. Nothing can be taken away from 1x and/or 0x. Here’s Why: They are both the best out there and some guys huddled up in a stuffy room after the race splitting hairs over a minor VCP deviation have no ability to take anything away from any of these warriors, nor does SCORE. It is a complete technicality and the points go to Kendall and Quinn (which will make for a more exciting race this November in the Baja 1000-and everybody wants that)

Out there in the desert, it is a chaotic and life threatening challenge to do what the top pros do. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter how many minutes get added to Colton and Kamo’s time. It is important to note that Colton didn’t “cheat” nor did he cut an “obscene” amount of course. It was minimal.
What happened on Saturday was witnessed by literally thousands of people around the world watching the satellite and text relays on the Internet of 1x and 0x battle it out. Fans at home watched on the edges of their seats as Colton took a 7.5-minute deficit and turned it into a 3-4 minute lead over 1x. It can’t be refuted that he did this all on anything other than pure effort, skill and determination.

Equally, Kendall cut a 2-2.5 minute deficit down in less than 45 miles. No one will take anything away from Kendall out there. It was a great race, probably the best that’s ever been covered in Baja. Our hats go off to 1x and 0x for giving us fans the best possible race we could’ve ever seen.
Congratulations to JCR A & B
Scotty Breauxman

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
This caused shockwaves throughout SCORE’s members so the idea behind the TRC was to have an independent, non-biased, third party entity review and evaluate the data that IRC collects.

So the father of a racer would reflect the above statement? I do believe that's the oxymoron of 2011 folks.

JohnnyAirtime

This caused shockwaves throughout SCORE’s members so the idea behind the TRC was to have an independent, non-biased, third party entity review and evaluate the data that IRC collects.

So the father of a racer would reflect the above statement? I do believe that's the oxymoron of 2011 folks.
... It's hard to not "chime in" when I read all this, so ... unless everyone understands that the TRC reviews the data, and that data is 100% masked... it's something that unless your there would you truly understand how the review process takes place and what is taken into consideration to keep it as fair and accurate as humanly possible. There is NO favoritism, there is no "inside scoop", there is nothing that isn't 100% legit when it comes to this serious of a review. To make sure those reviews of the data are accurate, no ONE person is the sole reviewer. There's 6 eyes (and often 3 laptops) to make sure it's reviewed properly, and without prejudice. Racers, pit crews, and anyone who is not part of the TRC (other than Sal or Paul Fish) are not allowed to view/review the data (and most often, not even allowed in the room). Even Sal and Paul don't know WHO they are looking at when the review takes place, or the review committee has a questionable penalty to discuss.

Let's not make this about the review process, because the problems with the racer's penalties lie within the racer himself. It's often that one team member will do his best to stay on course and abide by the rules. It only takes one of the team mates to make a mistake, and cause the damage. I've seen it time and time again.

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
It's just hard when it claims it's an "independent, non-biased, 3rd party".. in my opinion that would be someone who isn't directly involved with the race most importantly when it comes to 2 racers on the same team, and a father. That is my opinion and my opinion only. I respect both racers greatly but have a hard time with that statement. To me fair is fair .. and fair would be not having the father of a racer on that committee regardless of who it is!

JohnnyAirtime

It's just hard when it claims it's an "independent, non-biased, 3rd party".. in my opinion that would be someone who isn't directly involved with the race most importantly when it comes to 2 racers on the same team, and a father. That is my opinion and my opinion only. I respect both racers greatly but have a hard time with that statement. To me fair is fair .. and fair would be not having the father of a racer on that committee regardless of who it is!
I understand your thoughts. And know where your coming from. Hence my reply.
It's given nature to assume, when you don't know all the specifics of the process. I'm sure if I wrote a book on the total process, noted the hours and hours of volunteer time put into the process, and noted all that takes place during one race during the review... everyone would have a little bit of a better understanding and put this "question" of fairness to ease.

fishd00d

What A Joke
my .02

If you know you are being tracked and logged dont take shortcuts.....this goes for everyone in the race not just the 0x team....

Wendell #527

I feel bad for Colton and Kamo, but on the other hand, I've been beaten by guys short coursing and that really blew. It doesn't sound like this was on purpose or anything, but I do like to see at least one promoter doing something about it. So many times, even when it's proven, nothing is done about it. It would be nice if all the promoters reacted consistantly. I like them adding penalties. No disrespect meant for these two guys, though. Sounds like it was a great race.

JohnnyAirtime

........... Sounds like it was a great race.
Amazing race! Wish I was further out than Ensenada to watch the action... but, all I could get were these pictures of'em coming in... bar to bar;

Here, 0x and 1x come in HOT through the wash... 10x minutes behind;
click on photo for more photos

deano

McDeano
my .02

If you know you are being tracked and logged dont take shortcuts.....this goes for everyone in the race not just the 0x team....

same goes for the vehicles when they speed on the asphault when they know the're being track'd and they even have a speedo on their GPS ....

fishd00d

What A Joke
same goes for the vehicles when they speed on the asphault when they know the're being track'd and they even have a speedo on their GPS ....
Yep. It was one thing before they were reviewing each and every unit but not its not a surprise so why try and do something you KNOW your gonna get busted for.

russ at THR

What are the "actual" penalties handed out for missing a VC and a speed violation in a speed zone. Is there any way to get a copy of the rules without going though the SCORE mailing process?

JohnnyAirtime

What are the "actual" penalties handed out for missing a VC and a speed violation in a speed zone. Is there any way to get a copy of the rules without going though the SCORE mailing process?
Mailing process? How about visiting the SCORE website as a start?!
http://www.score-international.com/...500_Click_Here_For_Race_Information/2011.aspx

ALL you need to know, right here (and what every team race book should have a copy of!);
http://www.score-international.com/webresources/files/1133/results/Penalty Information.pdf

russ at THR

Mailing process? How about visiting the SCORE website as a start?!
http://www.score-international.com/...500_Click_Here_For_Race_Information/2011.aspx

ALL you need to know, right here (and what every team race book should have a copy of!);
http://www.score-international.com/webresources/files/1133/results/Penalty Information.pdf
Prior to jumping on here and asking questions I did go to the SCORE website. Unfortunately, the above linked information is not available from the home page. If you look in the top right corner of the home page and click "rule book," you will see that score will mail you a copy for some coin.

So, since missing a VC is a 10 minute penalty and the speed violation is incremental, depending on the speed and for how long they sped, how did they end up with only 10 minutes in penalties?

Last edited:

JohnnyAirtime

Prior to jumping on here and asking questions I did go to the SCORE website. Unfortunately, the above linked information is not available from the home page. If you look in the top right corner of the home page and click "rule book," you will see that score will mail you a copy for some coin.

So, since missing a VC is a 10 minute penalty and the speed violation is incremental, depending on the speed and for how long they sped, how did they end up with only 10 minutes in penalties?
Understood. However, each race has the "rules" posted for penalties. You don't need a "rule book" to view what you were asking. This is why I sent you the direct links.

VCP = Virtual Check Point

... as for the team's actual penalties, I'm not able to divulge any information that SCORE hasn't already. If you want to know more, you'll have to either contact the team directly or SCORE.

deano

McDeano
Colton Udall won the Baja-500 as soon as he decided to race the toughest race of his life for his brother's life ....... all this debating is just tainting it -- 0X WINNING

CodyS

DA Un`
I agree with Deano. Making up 13 mins. Colton, Kamo and the 0x won the race. Where he got caught speeding was a dirt road and was not on the main highway. Maybe they should have been a lil more clear about it. And the line that colton took, i know the line and it is no more than 50ft from the turn. It maybe saved him 2 secs.

You guys won in my book. Love you Colton

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Despite what the results say, the 0x for "OX", I thought, was incredibly awesome!

JohnnyAirtime

I agree with you all.
An amazing race put on by 0X and 1X. Just amazing. Best by far in years, and years to come. And an awesome tribute to Kargola by SCORE and JCR allowing the Zero-X plate, let alone the idea to run it.... A race that will go down in the books as being hard to beat.

But the inaccuracies have to stop;
....Where he got caught speeding was a dirt road and was not on the main highway.............. the line that colton took, i know the line and it is no more than 50ft from the turn...............
.... Incorrect (asphalt), and incorrect (closer to 900')