Colum to floor mount shifter?

DougM

Reaction
Whats the process for changing over to a floor mounted shifter from a colum shifter.?
I have a 97 Ford Explorer with the colum shifter and wondered how easy and if it was even viable option to swap it? One thing tha concerns me is the loss of O/D but maybe thats not a issue with these shifters? I have seen it done to many vehicls is there any internal issues that need to be addressed with the transmission or is it just all mechanical I would need to worry about?
The Ace Unifom Explorer runs this style shifter so hopefully its something that can be done?

Attachments

• 6-29040-shifter.gif
    6-29040-shifter.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 805

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The linkage is the only thing you have to worry about, but I know that comes with the Art Carr gate shifter for about $250 and it includes the linkage assembly.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Snmiedo

Reaction
Doug,

There are actually 2 shifters available for your application depending on your transmission. Art Carr makes both a 3 speed shifter (early model) and a 4 speed shifter (late model) for the A4LD transmissions. The early model shifter gives you the opportunity to place a push button similar to the one on the end of the column shifter on either the console or some people use a floor mounted dimmer switch. We stock them both at Race Ready Products. Please feel free to call me tomorrow at the office to discuss any questions you may have.

Thanks!
Michael Cohen
619-691-9171

DougM

Reaction
Yeah my Explorer is the 5 speed auto, although the gate is just a rgular 4-speed like the floor shifter(with added push button) the newer Explorers (95 ) dont have the A4LD.

toddz

Reaction
Doug:

Mike gave the best advice on converting your shifter. Ace's setup is a little different, actually. They run a regular Art Carr/Winters style shifter that they shift into "D" for forward gears. The individual gears are then selected electronically with a small rotary switch to the left of the shifter. It's sort of like an electronically shifted manual valve body. It's a setup they got from Ford.

Todd Z.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Does anyone know if Art Carr or any other places make something for a Tacoma like that? In the future I want to put a C-4 transmission in my Tacoma but I know it will be a custom thing and mucho $$

toddz

Reaction
As long as you can find room to mount the shifter in your Taco, an Art Carr C4 shifter will work just fine. One design limitation is that they come with a 5 ft. cable so you'll need to plan your placement/routing such that you won't have to spend extra $$ on a longer cable.

Todd Z.

motoxscott

Reaction
Mike,

Does Art Carr offer a shifter for the E4ODE transmission as well? ('95 F-150)

Also what would it take to set it up with a manual reverse valve body ??

Thanks,

-Scott

Snmiedo

Reaction
Scott,

Art Carr does indeed make a shifter for the AOD. They sell at racer price for $244. In addition, they have a valve body for $198.66 and a +2 quart high capacity cast aluminum oil pan for $144. We just got a huge shipment in from them and probably have all of these parts in stock.

Please call me should you have any questions.

Thanks!
Mike Cohen
Race Ready Products
619-691-9171

JCA

Reaction
Mike does the shifter have 1-2-3-od? four forward slots? and tyhe manual valve body does the same? I am very intrested.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

J_Dog

Reaction
Doug,
We run an SCS Cheetah gate shifter in our 7s Ford Ranger. It is a three speed shifter and we run a C-4 transmission. This was already in the truck when we bought it, but it seems to work well. I believe they're about $250 from Summit Racing.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA