Combining BITD classes

stephenrjking

Reaction
What's the goal of class consolidation? Is it to reduce truck counts? Is it for fans? Is it for existing competitors?

Because fans only care about the front line and the cool story. Reducing truck counts would reduce traffic and course wear, but at the expense of entry fees (and it wouldn't INCREASE truck counts to tell someone in a 4-truck class that they have to race against faster vehicles now and have less chance of winning...). For existing competitors to have more people to race against, sure, I get that, but consolidating classes means you'll have more people that are outmatched because they're driving equipment built for a different set of rules.

Mike, you suggested consolidating Jeepspeed. But the whole premise of Jeepspeed is to provide a low-cost relatively even level of competition, and a logical and economically reasonable progression level. An entry-level Jeepspeed costs $20k, basically ready to race. But a 4700 is quite a bit heftier than that, and you'll wind up losing the interest of people who could otherwise afford to buy into 1700 and get their feet wet in the sport. The result would be fewer Jeepspeeds, wouldn't it?

The reason there are so many classes is because organizers want more people to race, right? If a class change outmodes otherwise drivable equipment, or it makes the cost of competing higher, that will result in fewer competitors. But aside from a couple of events, it doesn't seem like "too many racers" is really a problem. Consolidation or reduction of fields makes sense in a discipline like short course, where organizers have trouble getting in full races in their time windows and certain UTV races have so many contestants that accidents become almost inevitable. But long desert courses don't have the same problem.

I mean, I'm not the invested party. I'll keep watching the top end and the cool stories, and I'll be happy as long as there appear to be reasonably full fields. But what's the gain for the organizers and the competitors?

Zac Reish

Reaction
As a racer I'd like larger car counts so the competition is stiff, the pace is pushed, and the prize money is higher in that order. beating no one, driving alone in circles, and winning nothing is not racing.

MTPyle

Reaction
Stephen

I had put 4700 in with the smaller V8 trucks like 6800 and 7200.

jeepspeed should be in one class. 4700 is really more like a 6800 and 7200. 4700 could still have their own jeepspeed stuff but for BITD they would run with the other classes that are close in speed.

Mike

drofmij

Reaction
What's the goal of class consolidation? Is it to reduce truck counts? Is it for fans? Is it for existing competitors?

Because fans only care about the front line and the cool story. Reducing truck counts would reduce traffic and course wear, but at the expense of entry fees (and it wouldn't INCREASE truck counts to tell someone in a 4-truck class that they have to race against faster vehicles now and have less chance of winning...). For existing competitors to have more people to race against, sure, I get that, but consolidating classes means you'll have more people that are outmatched because they're driving equipment built for a different set of rules.

Mike, you suggested consolidating Jeepspeed. But the whole premise of Jeepspeed is to provide a low-cost relatively even level of competition, and a logical and economically reasonable progression level. An entry-level Jeepspeed costs $20k, basically ready to race. But a 4700 is quite a bit heftier than that, and you'll wind up losing the interest of people who could otherwise afford to buy into 1700 and get their feet wet in the sport. The result would be fewer Jeepspeeds, wouldn't it?

The reason there are so many classes is because organizers want more people to race, right? If a class change outmodes otherwise drivable equipment, or it makes the cost of competing higher, that will result in fewer competitors. But aside from a couple of events, it doesn't seem like "too many racers" is really a problem. Consolidation or reduction of fields makes sense in a discipline like short course, where organizers have trouble getting in full races in their time windows and certain UTV races have so many contestants that accidents become almost inevitable. But long desert courses don't have the same problem.

I mean, I'm not the invested party. I'll keep watching the top end and the cool stories, and I'll be happy as long as there appear to be reasonably full fields. But what's the gain for the organizers and the competitors?
I don't get it, if someone wants to come race by themselves in an existing class and wants to pay the entry fee. Why would you want to turn any customers away. Especially being a for profit organization. Evidently they think trucks and utv's will sustain them for the long run in a flooded market. Will be interesting to see if Legacy tries to attract the smaller classes for racing or if it will be just BITD-2

stephenrjking

Reaction
Stephen

I had put 4700 in with the smaller V8 trucks like 6800 and 7200.

jeepspeed should be in one class. 4700 is really more like a 6800 and 7200. 4700 could still have their own jeepspeed stuff but for BITD they would run with the other classes that are close in speed.

Mike
Fair enough on the 4700 issue, though I would think that it's a similar story for 3700, too, isn't it? You have more credibility than I do here. You've shelled out significant cash. You've endured the struggles. Had the hard days. Put up the entry fees.

But, and I'm just speculating here because the chance of me ever doing this on a Pastor's salary is exceptionally remote, it seems like the Jeepspeed path is well-suited for the guy who has some extra cash but not six figures. $20k for a ready-to-race Jeep. You run a season or two, race against roughly equal vehicles, have some fun. Want to move up? Relatively affordable modifications like extra shock absorbers and larger tires and you're going a bit faster.

That seems like a great path into desert racing. What's the gain in eliminating it? I'm just a fan, so I might be missing something here.

MTPyle

Reaction
Not sure I have any more credibility than anyone. I talk out my a$$ sometimes also. Haha.

but I agree jeepspeed should have its own class and so should Trophylite. Both are great classes to get into and for feeders. I think in my earlier list I listed jeepspeed as a class on its own. But put 4700 with the faster trucks.

I think Jeepspeed and TL should be killling it with guys that want to race but don’t want to race UTV’s.

Mike