Comments on the Expo??

grt

Checkers *********
Reaction
Off Road Expo 2002 is over and most of the feedback we have received on the event has been very positive. We are already at work planning next year's show and would appreciate hearing any comments from those of you who attended, good or bad, that will help us make Off Road Expo 2003 an even better experience.

Thanks,

George R. Thompson
Communications Director
Off Road Expo

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
I thought the Expo was great! We were bummed that we could only go one day this year instead of both. It would have been nice to see more new trucks. All the race vehicles are cool, but for the repeat customer we've already seen most of them over and over. It'd be cool if more shops would showcase their projects. C&D Fabwork's truck was pretty darn nice. What about having workshops for people to attend, or demonstrations by some of the different businesses? It'd be cool to see how Goodyear or BFG grooves a tire for different conditions or to have a Q&A with Ivan. So many of us regulars here know almost all the products that are on display at the Expo already. There may be some new things, but for the most part we go to socialize, scope out the display vehicles, and show support for a group that is PART of the offroad community (rather than just people who see a way to make a buck). To make it more interactive would be cool. Also, you should have had a cool prerunner article in the program, George!

<font color=red>JEN!</font color=red>

jeff

Reaction
I spent about 3.5 hours and split. I could have spent all day BS'ing with people but decided to head home early instead. I think I've become jaded to the off-road scene and from what I've heard a few others feel the same way. If you liked the 2001 show you probably liked the 2002 show... which is what I found disappointing. I spent $54 bucks at the show and when it was all said and done with felt like I should've spent it elsewhere. Not too many new/exciting/innovative products or vendors to be found.

A few friends that are into rock crawling were commenting that the show was pretty dull for them too... it seems that such a broad range of vendors show up that no one faction of off-roaders is really well represented. This show seems to cater to a crowd that is just getting involved into off-road. Most of the people I know went for the social reasons (or to be a vendor). If you are into disco there were a few of those there... if you are into crawling there were a few of those there... a few for the dez racing crowd and a few for the rest.

If I could add anything here's what it'd be.... set up a venue where the vehicles can actually show what they are made of. It'd be nice if everyone could see the different aspects of "off-road" in actual use. I enjoy rock crawling and know that other DEZ racers might enjoy it too if they had a chance to witness it. I know that rock crawlers would enjoy seeing a 2wd dez racer airing it out or tackling a mini-rubicon.... it'd shut them up about how all 2wd vehicles are meant for the street too. The disco guys could have a show-n-shine in the parking lot... on and on and on. I think that potential customers would enjoy seeing more stuff in action. I appreciate all the trucks, bikes, Jeeps, quads, buggies and just wish others could actually see what they are all capable of. Oh yeah, the trend to have "attractive vendor assistants" is nice - keep that up. The only thing better would be if they actually knew what they were talking about :)

Aloha

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I like Jen's idea...informal infomercials would be cool. I agree with Jeff too, if you liked it last year then you liked it this year. I volunteer for the expo and help out so i was there for a long time on Saturday and it seemed that it is a social thing. I enjoyed seeing my RDC boys John, Gabe, Klaus, and Russ; Greg and Jen from IP, and to also hang out with my team for the day in a non-work/race fashion. People watching is always fun too. Thoughts for next year...have a "legitimate" RC track indoors with 10th scale gas trucks... the kids love it and the trucks are scale trophy trucks! Make areas for certain products...put the disco on disco avenue, prerunner stuff on prerunner ave, race stuff on race ave, etc... makes competition nice between vendors and maybe prices will drop too! doubt it but maybe.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
If you want demos and other fancy things...I recommend getting to the SEMA show. This show is by far the best "car/truck" show every year. Even though it is not the "faction" of off-road some want, there are many awesome things new, innovative, displayed and demonstrated. There is also plenty of parties, pow-wows, and sins to partake in, as it is in Vegas. You have to be in the industry to attend so get buddy-buddy with someone that is going. I think Kreg said he is going. Might want to start puckering up for him.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Jordan

Reaction
I expected more. The Expo was a great time and showcased some great trucks and companies. I expected it to grow from last year and was dissapointed that it was basically the same exact size. I liked this years vendors over last years, the booths were definitely nicer. I would like to see next years show fill 2 halls and have something setup where people can sit in their favorite racetrucks instead of just looking at them. Maybe have an area designated for this.

Thanks for putting on a great show!

Jordan

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
A little more breathing room would be nice. Maybe spread it out a little. It was "nuts to butts" walking through the event. If someone wanted to stop to look at something, the entire row would bunch up even more which creates a distraction. (.02)

grt

Checkers *********
Reaction
Next year we are expanding to three buildings, adding 50% more space for exhibitors. We will be adding more cross aisles and making them wider to accommodate the flow of spectators more efficiently. Last year and this year we were in Building four which yielded 205,000 square feet, including the outside space. Next year we have arranged to add building 5 & 6 which are the next buildings over and will have a total area of 305,000 square feet. Active demonstrations are also under discussion for next year.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.

grt

Gabe Lara

Reaction
"Nutts and Butts".....Good one Trey!!

If you guys are thinking along the lines of demos, how about a "Expo Leap contest" @ the racetrack there?
Just a thought... See the TT's and others come out for a bit of fun.

-Gabe

mgobaja

Reaction
What about having a short course race on Saturday evening at the track ? With a free or reduced entry for the people with display booths.

grt

Checkers *********
Reaction
Way too expensive and it would detract from the Expo itself. Having put on the Willow Springs Shortcourse event with Hibbard and Utgard back in the early 90's, I am keenly aware of the costs of such an event. As an example it would cost over 50 grand just to put a track in and have it removed and the liability insurance, security, etc. are all expensive issues. Either way, they are both headline events and the presence of one will always take spectators away from the other.

Good plan for a county fair, perhaps but that's not what we are doing here.

Thanks for the suggestion,

grt

grt

Checkers *********
Reaction
Gas RC vehicles inside would never get past the fire marshals. They had gas RC cars outside this year and it was a decent show considering that they came in on short notice. They will be back next year and will have a much more entertaining program for everyone, so I'm told.

grt

grt

Checkers *********
Reaction
Jen:

Next year we hope to see a United Prerunners display with lots of trucks. If you would like, I can send you the forms and we will have coverage for prerunners in the event program. Maybe we could work out some sort of demonstration you guys could put on during the show.

Something to think about,

grt

grt

Checkers *********
Reaction
Actually we added 30,000 square feet to the 2002 show. Partially through re-designing the layout, managing the space more efficiently and adding the area on Palm Street in front of the building. That's all that was available and we made the most of what we could get. Buildings 5 & 6 were taken up by a computer show and a sewing show.

Next year we will have all three.

grt

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Gas RC racing indoors is quite popular...proper ventilation is required though.

Kris

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
What about 20,000 people watching the out door race @ $20 per person? Say at 7:00 pm after the show?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Sounds good to me! Have the show run till 6 like it does and then have races at 730... even if it's prerunner type races, I know I would go to both.

Kris

mgobaja

Reaction
After the points George brought up it does seem like a logistical nightmare. It would have to be treated as a seperate event. Maybe the Inland Prerunners could do it ? The financial backing would be the tough part. Due to the fact that the insurance and track use fee would have to paid for regardless of how many participants or spectators showed up.

Stan

Reaction
I spent 3.5 hours on Saturday morning there. I wanted to talk to some people, but I had a 3 hour drive down and I was spent by the time I got my Expo Plan of Action laid out. It was my first time, I was really impressed by all the vendors and the displays.

The only disappointment I had was the lack of race organization representation. I was hoping MDR and Best in the Desert and SNORE would be there. I was also hoping to see more "low-buck" type racers there, but all in all I really liked it and plan on going to future events.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Not too many low buck racers have the 500 bucks or so to get a spot.

Kris