Comments on the new 1200 stock class (BITD)

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
So BITD can give this new class the "12" designation but couldn't do it for years with class "11", which is really 12. Sure would be nice if BITD got on board with the numbering system that every other sanctioning body uses. Rant over. Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

The reason why BITD can't use the 1200 number designation for the 1100 class is due to SCORE's copyright of that number for the buggy as well as Class 11, Trophy Truck, et al. They were sent a letter about it from SCORE way back when.

crazyeye

Reaction

johnnyweb

Reaction
Cause that class was killed off by unwanted rule changes.
No truth to this what so ever! The class was killed by people with no $$$ to race there trucks! Or discouraged at there lack luster race performances/ DNF's. Or people moved on to faster more capable vehicles. Or people that just quit racing in general!

johnnyweb

Reaction
Oh how could I forget getting there teeth and kidneys beat to death! Hahalol it was still fun though!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

M.Tornel Jr

Reaction
So BITD can give this new class the "12" designation but couldn't do it for years with class "11", which is really 12. Sure would be nice if BITD got on board with the numbering system that every other sanctioning body uses. Rant over.

I doubt this class will evolve to much. They just get to advertise the raptor as an off road championship winning truck.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
So true! I hate the 14 and 15 designation for one and trophy

vegasloki

Reaction
The reason why BITD can't use the 1200 number designation for the 1100 class is due to SCORE's copyright of that number for the buggy as well as Class 11, Trophy Truck, et al. They were sent a letter about it from SCORE way back when.

I don't doubt SCORE would send a threatening letter but those numbers wouldn't be subject to copyright. It would be great to see the letter. The class names could be subject to a trademark for a specific use or a service mark but using something as generic as a number needs to be specified as the the specific application. IOW, you can't just trademark "1200" as a generic term.

I've searched the USPTO and while there are several trademarks and some service marks registered to Baja Holdings LLC and Baja Trademarks LLC in Reno (Norman/SCORE) none are class numbers and the only class name I can find is Trophy Truck.

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
Maybe copyrighted is the wrong word. I saw the letter years ago that went to both BITD and SNORE. I wish I had an old SCORE Rule Book - it showed which ones were protected, for lack of a better term.

Reaction
I second Jamie. The late Ted Johnson was SCORE's attorney back in the day, and had a tough piece of boilerplate in the form of a Cease & Desist letter that went out to anyone attempting to use SCORE class designations,

I cannot recall if licensed usage was allowed via a fee. IIRC, this was in the post-Lott era.

Anger Issues

Reaction
It makes me want to start a "go-fund" me account and throw a cage in a 95 F-150 with NO other mods... and show them how the "older" Fords rule the dez! 351, AC, and hell... I'll even run that crappy smog pump :eek:). Lots of spare parts out there and easy to fix!!

I could get the truck for less than two grand and steal the seats out of my other trucks... like the good old days.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
VORRA used to be one of the only SCORE sanctioned off road promoters. I do not know what they did to earn that, possibly bought it. Way back in the day, but they even advertised as being SCORE sanctioned. What do you suppose that bought you?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
It makes me want to start a "go-fund" me account and throw a cage in a 95 F-150 with NO other mods... and show them how the "older" Fords rule the dez! 351, AC, and hell... I'll even run that crappy smog pump :eek:). Lots of spare parts out there and easy to fix!!

I could get the truck for less than two grand and steal the seats out of my other trucks... like the good old days.
Except that the new class requires vehicle to be 4 years old or newer. Wonder why?

Anger Issues

Reaction
Except that the new class requires vehicle to be 4 years old or newer. Wonder why?

wow... really? I'm speechless. That is horse-shiat. I guess "It's good to be The King". He who has the gold makes the rules... other cliches come to mind.

Do the trucks have to be white, with some red... and some black... and some orange, and from the Phoenix area?

Oh well... back to the drawing board.

johndjmix

Reaction
Everyone wants factory involvement. Let's see, which do you think would get the attention of the big car makers...

A. A guy in a million $ TT.

B. A guy that takes a stock truck and goes out doing well finishing races.

I think the mfg of B would defiantly look at the guy doing well with their stock truck and take advantage of that.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Reaction
Ford has done more for racers and BITD, than VW ever did for SCORE, although I think there have been more VW factory team entries at SCORE* than there have been Ford factory team entries.

What did VW pay for the Class 11 win back in the day? How about 5 or 5/1600 or ?

Oh, yeah, ...zip, nada, nothing.

* in their own "exhibition" classes

johndjmix

Reaction
The 4 years old or newer part is the one thing I saw in there that isn't cool.

Someone should get a truck out there tho and give some competition.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com