community watermarks

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
attn: Admin's and RDC members...

do you think we could start a sticky or something that would consist of a few different (or even just one) water mark(s) that people could put on their pictures that they take and post here on rdc?... seeing as there are more and more people that seem to take pictures here on rdc, i think it would be a great idea to have "pre-made" water marks that could be copy and pasted on a persons pictures without any hassle and would help keep peoples hard work and effort out of the hands of thief's in internet land....

what do you guys think?.... could we make something like this available? even if it's just a generic RDC logo that is already done up and ready for peoples use...

have you guys (admin) ever thought about making it a rule that your pictures have to have a water mark on it??... i just HATE thief's ..... sorry it's just something that really gets to me .

thanks in advance
adam

racer56

Reaction
I hate watermarks. They are very distracting.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
We can make one available and then if anyone wants to use it great if not thats fine too.

Chase 2

Reaction
I hate watermarks. They are very distracting.
x1^300. I understand the whole copyright, and I took it so I own it deal, but there's so much stuff all over the pics you can't hardly see them. Are you photog guys really losing that much money to people sniping your pics and not getting credit, or are you just POed that you're not getting credit?

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
x1^300. I understand the whole copyright, and I took it so I own it deal, but there's so much stuff all over the pics you can't hardly see them. Are you photog guys really losing that much money to people sniping your pics and not getting credit, or are you just POed that you're not getting credit?
Well I'd say both.

Drive to the race (time of from other job), gas, hotel room, food and entertainment, camera equipment, media pass, etc. all on their own dime. That is a huge amount of cash for just one year of taking pictures.

Wake up race day, find a good spot in the morning for a few pictures, drive to another spot for more picture, drive to yet another spot for more pictures, spend all day in the sun taking pictures. All this, just in the hope that some one will buy their pictures.

If some a-hole like MO was taking my pictures and claiming it as their own, I would be extremely pissed off too!!

I'm for the watermarks.

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Well I'd say both.

Drive to the race (time of from other job), gas, hotel room, food and entertainment, camera equipment, media pass, etc. all on their own dime. That is a huge amount of cash for just one year of taking pictures.

Wake up race day, find a good spot in the morning for a few pictures, drive to another spot for more picture, drive to yet another spot for more pictures, spend all day in the sun taking pictures. All this, just in the hope that some one will buy their pictures.

If some a-hole like MO was taking my pictures and claiming it as their own, I would be extremely pissed off too!!

I'm for the watermarks.
x1000............ I don't even make a living doing it, just a few extra bucks to pay for races I will already be at.......... and the first time I see my pics on O-Douches website, I guarantee legal action......

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
We can make one available and then if anyone wants to use it great if not thats fine too.
cool sounds good!!... i think it would help a lot of people out... especially the rookies to the forum that post pictures without knowing the dangers... something easy to drag and drop could help a ton of people from getting taken advantage of...

klaus... what's the best way for someone to get a hold of a pre-made watermark... is it going to be a sticky?... or does it have to be done through a pm?

NOTE: i am not a professional photog, and i dont even post pictures. im just looking out for hard working people ..... but yes someone has stolen a picture from a live feed that i did and posted it on his site as his own!! .... pretty frustrating...

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I'll have Curtis design a watermark and instructions on how to apply it. That will be made available here somewhere for download.
We are stocked to see people running our watermark on their pictures to show their support and affiliation.

The WM will be transparent and the least intrusive similar to what we are doing. Example:

M_Solms

Reaction

I hate watermarks too but just like everything else you lockup in life it has to be done if you don't want to lose it.

Photo credit and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds so that's not the problem.

The problem is you take a day or two off work and go to the race. You spend the day before the race running all over the desert to locate spots you hope will be good for shooting.
Then you get up before the sun comes up and go out and freeze your butt off getting to the first spot.
Then you get out your camera gear worth thousands of dollars and subject it to conditions it wasn't intended to be in while you run all over the desert taking shots.

Long after the winners have finished and started partying you are still standing in the desert taking the pictures of the rest of the racers.

Then you load up and go home and sit at the computer until you can't see straight anymore processing images and getting them up as fast as you can so everyone can see their pictures.

Another great race in the books and you sit back to relax and enjoy your favorite off road magazine and wham, there is one of your pictures being used by a major corporation to advertise and sell their products and you never gave them the rights to use the picture.

They got your picture from someone, who knows how , and all that work you did to get it paid you nothing but your work is being used to make money for a company that has more money than you ever will.

MO is a minor annoyance compared to the real situations that come up.

Bottom line , if you don't lock up your work it will be stolen and others will profit from it.
It is a real shame to have to ruin the pictures with watermarks but it doesn't take too many times of losing a picture to make you do it.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
I'll have Curtis design a watermark and instructions on how to apply it. That will be made available here somewhere for download.
We are stocked to see people running our watermark on their pictures to show their support and affiliation.
SOUNDS GREAT!!... thanks for making something like this available, it's going to help a lot of people.

dont be shocked klaus, rdc is a great place and people are truly happy to be a part of it!.... keep up the good work and thanks for taking my advice into consideration!!

adam

I hate watermarks too but just like everything else you lockup in life it has to be done if you don't want to lose it.
well said mark!... im sure you have been there and done that, and sadly it wont be the last time something of that nature happens.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Well I'd say both.

I'm for the watermarks.
I never photogged pro, but did go to many races for 30+ years, a lot of times just to study and take pictures. There was a few times I drove all the way to Ensenada, took pictures of anything unlimited or interesting at contengency or staging, and then drove home. I have lots of clean, popular, unmarked photos floating around on RDC, and now elsewhere. I've started to put little marks on some lately. They literally cost a fortune, but I never made or wanted a dime for them. It's just kind of lousy when other people act like they took them.

Matt D

Boy Toy
Reaction
Well I'd say both.

I'm for the watermarks.

x1000............ I don't even make a living doing it, just a few extra bucks to pay for races I will already be at.......... and the first time I see my pics on O-Douches website, I guarantee legal action......

Photo credit and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds so that's not the problem.

The problem is you take a day or two off work and go to the race. You spend the day before the race running all over the desert to locate spots you hope will be good for shooting.
Then you get up before the sun comes up and go out and freeze your butt off getting to the first spot.
Then you get out your camera gear worth thousands of dollars and subject it to conditions it wasn't intended to be in while you run all over the desert taking shots.

Long after the winners have finished and started partying you are still standing in the desert taking the pictures of the rest of the racers.

Then you load up and go home and sit at the computer until you can't see straight anymore processing images and getting them up as fast as you can so everyone can see their pictures.

Another great race in the books and you sit back to relax and enjoy your favorite off road magazine and wham, there is one of your pictures being used by a major corporation to advertise and sell their products and you never gave them the rights to use the picture.

They got your picture from someone, who knows how , and all that work you did to get it paid you nothing but your work is being used to make money for a company that has more money than you ever will.

MO is a minor annoyance compared to the real situations that come up.

Bottom line , if you don't lock up your work it will be stolen and others will profit from it.
It is a real shame to have to ruin the pictures with watermarks but it doesn't take too many times of losing a picture to make you do it.
x2! i just do it because i love photography and racing, and if i can make a few dollars while doing it i am an extremely happy person..

While claiming myself as Racer Photo i have only shot 2 races and yet i have personally seen 3 of my photos used without my consent..

I AM COMPLETELY FOR THE WATERMARK

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Well I'd say both.

I'm for the watermarks.

SO what happens when MO takes a photo of his own (likely to be as offensive as possible), adds the RDC watermark, puts it on his site, and writes a diatribe about the photo?

Perhaps a short tutorial from a guru on how rookies can make their own watermark would be prudent?

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
SO what happens when MO takes a photo of his own (likely to be as offensive as possible), adds the RDC watermark, puts it on his site, and writes a diatribe about the photo?

Perhaps a short tutorial from a guru on how rookies can make their own watermark would be prudent?
Well I would hope that they would make it so only members could do it.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction

he could easily do that now...

..... o wait ..... all he knows how to do is copy and paste....

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
Well I'd say both.

I'm for the watermarks.
couldn't have said it better mike!

if RDC has a watermark i can use send it to me i will gladly use it untill i get my own watermark.

I go to the races and take pictures most of the times because im pitting for the team and they like my pictures or like this weekend i happened to go to PC and there was a race so i took a few pictures went on a ride to a different spot to shoot then took off for a ride to the blu inn. I'm about to start school and i am going to study photography so at the moment im taking donations for a new camera :D and a cool RDC watermark

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
cool sounds good!!... i think it would help a lot of people out... especially the rookies to the forum that post pictures without knowing the dangers... something easy to drag and drop could help a ton of people from getting taken advantage of...

klaus... what's the best way for someone to get a hold of a pre-made watermark... is it going to be a sticky?... or does it have to be done through a pm?

NOTE: i am not a professional photog, and i dont even post pictures. im just looking out for hard working people ..... but yes someone has stolen a picture from a live feed that i did and posted it on his site as his own!! .... pretty frustrating...

The WM will be transparent and the least intrusive similar to what we are doing. Example:

sorry to bring up an old thread but i was curious if we ever had a community watermark created??? thanx

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
Reaction
I actually have a bunch of old photo's from the 90's that I'm looking to scan in to my pc and put online, I just don't want HoMO taking credit for them. Did the RDC watermark thing ever pan out? I would show support to this site with my pics.