• Forum membership has its advantages....

compilation of Ivan "Ironman" Stewart commercials

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
A couple of "skin off" photos from a 1997 offroad.com article.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
My daughter confiscated that poster from me years ago and had it hanging in her room until she went to college.

Just looking at that thing,WOW!! A lot of R&D, and thought into it for sure!!! I wonder how much it weighs??? Love the shocks too, what are they Bilstien 2.5 coil overs,thats it??? Geez!!! BA still to this day, and a class 6 guys nightmare, If any of these large car companies decided to come back out and race we all be screwed!!!!!

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Except from the 1997 article,

SPECS AND STATS

All up weight of the truck, full of Trick Racing gas, is 3900 pounds, substantially lighter than the other Trophy Trucks on the track. The center-mounted fuel cell carries 43 gallons and needs every drop, since the rowdy Toyota gets an average of three miles per gallon under hard racing conditions. Weight distribution is 60 percent rear and 40 percent front.

Suspension travel is 22 inches all the way around. The truck designers said they could quite easily have run much more travel (and they have in the past), but felt that 22 was a good compro mise in bump-eating ability and handling. Too much travel, and the truck will wallow in the turns. If you've ever watched Ivan Stewart on hard-packed twisty fire roads, you know that's one of the places he makes up a lot of time.

One Bilstein shock does all the work per wheel. Shaft stroke on the front shocks is 11 inches, while the rear has a longer 14 inch stroke. This gives the truck a rather mild suspension lever ratio of 2:1 up front and about 1.6:1 at the rear.

Each Bilstein shock runs about 1 1/2 quarts of fluid, and has cooling fins built into the lines. By-pass valves are used, along with a typical Bellville washer stack for the initial damping valving.

BajaFand

Thanks Curtis! One of my favorite trucks of all time. It was obvious, Toyota was not there to screw around and it showed with their success. I wish they would come back again with a serious effort.

Perfect Race

Nice photos, bringing back some memories. I helped prep that truck in '96 with Peter Miles and worked at PPI for 3 years. That is when it had the V-6 and was way out powered by the other top trucks except for in Mexico. Anyone remember Robby pulling up beside it at Primm and blipping the throttle while Ivan was flat out then passing and roosting him? I went on to the indy cars and they put the V-8 in after I moved on. Then I did nothing but change POS indy car motors while Toyota was figuring them out and they blew up all the time. I guess my timing was a little off but it was a great place to work. I was part of the big penisula run when they won the 1000 in '98 what a blast! There were 110 people, 50 vehicles, a couple planes and helicopters for that race!
It had a transaxle that used a Hewland gear section and the rest was all custom PPI. The trans case started out as a 600lb billit. Nobody was ever more prepared than PPI from the race truck, chase trucks, spares etc.. I will have to see if I can find some photos.

_

Hey Lee, Gary here.

What a great time we had running that truck. Thank God the motors in 015 were far more reliable than the Champ-Car motors.

Re: Where is the truck now.
Not sure. Last I knew, it was part of McPherson's Museum. (McPherson put a lot of money into Cal's programs.) But when McPherson passed away, all vehicles in the museum were sold off at auction.

Send me a PM when you have a chance and let me know whats going on.

Nice photos, bringing back some memories. I helped prep that truck in '96 with Peter Miles and worked at PPI for 3 years. That is when it had the V-6 and was way out powered by the other top trucks except for in Mexico. Anyone remember Robby pulling up beside it at Primm and blipping the throttle while Ivan was flat out then passing and roosting him? I went on to the indy cars and they put the V-8 in after I moved on. Then I did nothing but change POS indy car motors while Toyota was figuring them out and they blew up all the time. I guess my timing was a little off but it was a great place to work. I was part of the big penisula run when they won the 1000 in '98 what a blast! There were 110 people, 50 vehicles, a couple planes and helicopters for that race!
It had a transaxle that used a Hewland gear section and the rest was all custom PPI. The trans case started out as a 600lb billit. Nobody was ever more prepared than PPI from the race truck, chase trucks, spares etc.. I will have to see if I can find some photos.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
I remember seeing the older truck at a couple of car shows years ago but it didn't have the engine or shocks on it. I'm pretty sure there were a couple of trucks right? He was still racing when I saw that truck floating around at the car shows.

randy s

there seemed to have been two approaches by the two main manufacturers involved at the time. ford flooded the field with their successful rough riders efforts with each of fords' r&d sections sub sponsoring a different truck and toyota who had PPI and ivan. both had completely different development and marketing approaches and both enjoyed a great deal of success. you could always know it was ivan coming from miles away. two lights on in the middle of the day and the helo. and the engine sound. that wonderful combination was a dead giveaway. here comes ivan. make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Rocks would roll away when the felt Ivan's rumble approaching. Or wish they did!

NWGuy

Looking at the upper cont arms...What material was used in their construction?? Custom ball joints or off the shelf?? I remember looking at the truck back in the late nineties. But back then I was a circle burner. Even then I wondered about the material. Thanks for any responses!

DezertRaders

His stadium truck is in the Pro-Truck building, it looks brand new, and has some very cool technology on a truck that old. Worth taking a look at. He also has Mears buggy and a Chenowth that is restored to new condition sitting on pallet racks.

NWGuy

Forgive my ignorance, "The Pro-Truck building"?
I am from up north and manage to go to Cal. most February and Novembers. If it would be possible to see this truck I would love to see it. Can't go now, shoulder surgery has me laid up.

DezertRaders

Forgive my ignorance, "The Pro-Truck building"?
I am from up north and manage to go to Cal. most February and Novembers. If it would be possible to see this truck I would love to see it. Can't go now, shoulder surgery has me laid up.
Its right down the hwy from Stewarts Raceworks.

PROTRUCK RACING
ORGANIZATION, INC.
14402 Bond Ct.,
El Cajon, CA 92021