Congrats - you drove like an idiot at the Baja1000

blue dog

RDC Crypto
Las Vegas Nevada. Way up near the red rocks
chase truck etiquette $$ Driving highway 1 safely

While running from el Crucero to the road crossing at Visciano, I had such a wonderful experience with a chase truck I figures I should share. We were cruising along on highway one with all the local traffic and chase trucks, on the first eve of the Baja 1000, everyone driving as they should in a safe and courteous fashion when in the distance from far behind the sun like glow of HID and Led lights comes blasting across my rear view mirror. It takes a few minutes for the sun like lights catch up us to us as this A$$hat has to pass numbers of cars and trucks with no regard to anyone but themselves, all the while never turning of his super bright off road lights, not for oncoming traffic or anyone else in the world, as he is apparently more important then all the other cars on the road. This driver then proceeds to pass every vehicle in my eyesight in a unsafe fashion, on blind corners and uphill’s, cutting in between cars to avoid on coming traffic at the last second, Forcing everyone he just cut off to dump there brakes, this went on for 30 minutes until this person pulled off somewhere around Jesus Maria before Viscaino. At this point I could care less if you wad up your truck or team truck for that matter, and never return to baja to endanger the lives of all the other drivers on the road, the problem lies with the fact that you will KILL innocent people with driving habits that were displayed right before my own eye’s. Big rigs and all other on coming traffic flashed there bright lights at you, only to be ignored. So to the team that has the chase truck with the utility bed and hids up top and Led bar on a light bar or on the bumper up front with either Nevada or Arizona plated that read CHST RUN, or something like that, please either never come back to Baja or fire the chase idiot that was driving the truck at the time. This person has no regard for anyone but themselves and will kill people in the future if they come back. 10 years I have been doing this, and you by far have been the worst I have ever seen. From me and all the other drivers on the road that night, F$%k you. Highway 1 is not a safe highway to drive in perfect conditions, let alone with people like this.

JRod

fast-aid.org
RDC Crypto
Website
www.fast-aid.org
chase truck etiquette $$ Driving highway 1 safely

So what team was it? Someone has to know. This sport is dangerous enough without allowing people to act like jack-wagons and at best make us look like idiots and at worst, kill/hurt someone just because they're convinced of their invincibility.

fan#1jms

RDC Crypto
Re: chase truck etiquette $$ Driving highway 1 safely

Unfortunately almost every single one of us has seen that semi-exact scene every single year, on the way down, and on the way back. I myself have been unfortunate enough to end up inside some of those idiot driven vehicles from time to time. You can preach all you want, but it is an unfortunate fact that this sport attracts these types of a##hats. All we can do is hope that those people in charge of teams assign their best people to drive. We need our owner/drivers and team managers to realize this and keep it in mind as race assignments are being made. Hopefully some of the a##hats will also have some brains and at least consider the safety of those in and out of their vehicles, and who knows maybe your words will help.

Shaggy

RDC Crypto

We run a spotter truck, 2-3 miles ahead to check for clearance before passing anywhere. Not worth the risk.

blue dog

RDC Crypto
Las Vegas Nevada. Way up near the red rocks

So what team was it? Someone has to know.

All i know is either NEVADA or ARIZONA plates that read CHST RUN or something similar. If you know them, beat them down emotionally, if they work for you, fire them, if you know who they are, publicly let the cat out of the bag here.

ScottWisdom

RDC Crypto

Here's another crew to add to the list. These knuckleheads were caravaning north of GN on Friday and were constantly chattering on Weatherman freq. Most of the race had moved down south, but their non-stop chatter can still cause problems for the Weatherman relay. I didn't see their rigs, but I heard them calling each other by name. Paul, Matt and Robert. Complete idiots.

feathersurf

RDC Crypto

I'm in total agreement with you and your feelings. I've been doing this for some time now and the scariest place in Baja is race day on the highway!!! I hope some one will step up and ID that chase team. All of us should not be afraid to confront these guys and let them know they're not wanted in our sport. The top teams don't drive like jerks: they're safe and plan ahead. These idiots that endanger all of us have been watching to many movies and should stay out of Baja. If you want to go fast (with or without lights), enter the race and get in a race car. STAY OFF THE HIGHWAY!!

cusico

RDC Crypto

I think it would be best to openly blow the whistle on idiot chase drivers in offroad. US and Baja. V2R oh boy!

The team owners that will bear the burden (financially/legally) of your 22 year old a$$hat chase truck driver who does this cr4p is rarely heard by the guy who will be sitting down with his attorney and insurance adjuster after the incident.

I am the one on the hook for my program, you play my game under my rules. NO IDIOTS ALLOWED.

Flame em'!!! Post pics/names.etc if you got them.

I have been in an incident with a D/A that could not stay on his side of the highway because he could not drive the truck in his own lane. 2 feet into my lane, unreal! Lack of experience in the trucks or just not talented enough. Either way, you do not belong in the truck.

trailready

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto

We run a spotter truck, 2-3 miles ahead to check for clearance before passing anywhere. Not worth the risk.

I hope your saying running a "spotter truck" is not worth the risk. I've seen plenty pull this shXt down there and nearly cause head on accidents because someone wasn't paying attention, or got too far ahead and a local pulled onto the road in between.

fishd00d

What A Joke
RDC Crypto
Website
www.fishgistics.com

when passing we use the radio to call out when its safe, and when it is not.

FYI that is not always a good idea. A couple year ago we were giving a ride back to a stranger from a race team to ENS from Valley T and a guy in a car told us a story of them doing the same thing the previous year and when they told the car behind them it was clear they went for it and a car had been pulled over on the side of the road and then pulled back out after the lead car went by, the follow car went to pass and hit head on with the car pulling back out and 2 people died as a result.

Personally I never pass unless I can see its clear, a couple seconds is not worth it....

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto

FYI that is not always a good idea. A couple year ago we were giving a ride back to a stranger from a race team to ENS from Valley T and a guy in a car told us a story of them doing the same thing the previous year and when they told the car behind them it was clear they went for it and a car had been pulled over on the side of the road and then pulled back out after the lead car went by, the follow car went to pass and hit head on with the car pulling back out and 2 people died as a result.

Personally I never pass unless I can see its clear, a couple seconds is not worth it....
good point

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto

Thats like driving in the dust via GPS...
perhaps i understated what i meant.

along with common sense, and driving and passing when we can see, we ALSO use the radio to help.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
RDC Crypto

Saw tons of this a$$hattery this year. A couple of chase trucks would come blasting by us and then we would see them off the side of road a few miles down. Then they would repeat it again. Didn't see a team name on them or I would call them out. I had several close calls on this run. The worse was a motorhome passing on a uphill as I came over the rise, he was passing a bunch of trucks. I hit the brakes and we missed by a couple of feet.

I will call out the Vildosola guys and their a$$hat drivers on the way north. Red raptors doing over 100 mph passing us on blind corners and uphills.

Another note if your going to run a prerunner buggy/truck on the roads at night put some low wattage lights on the freaking things, having HIDs in your face really sucks.

Dan200 I thought that was taken out of the race plan a couple of years ago. Too dangerous.

I will not pass a truck or car that gives the signal unless I'm sure it is safe and even when radio callout is called I still drive my own drive. I don't trust someone else to make the call. Too many close calls in the past.

If chase crews have to go that fast to get to their next section then your race plan is screwed up and they need to plan better.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto

Dan200 I thought that was taken out of the race plan a couple of years ago. Too dangerous.
i didnt know that. but like i said, it is IN ADDITION TO other efforts. its not the only tool.

Ryan_P

RDC Crypto

I don't know who 7X is, but their chase guys are a bunch of donkeys. We were listening to the Weatherman transmission regarding the accident and fatality, and here comes two of their chase guys. Passing on blind corners, multiple times, and nearly taking out multiple innocent chase crews.

White tundra and white econoline van. If 7X see's this, talk to these people. If you want to risk your life, go for it, but they WILL end up killing innocent bystanders if they continue to drive like a s s hats in Baja.

racer56

RDC Crypto

I had the opposite experience driving to rm 236 race morning from Ensenada and returning to Mexicali at night. Everyone was driving safely and at a reasonable speed. On the way back chase trucks would shut down their hid's way before they reached us. As an added bonus there was only one car in front of us at the Mexicali border.

Shaggy

RDC Crypto

I hope your saying running a "spotter truck" is not worth the risk. I've seen plenty pull this shXt down there and nearly cause head on accidents because someone wasn't paying attention, or got too far ahead and a local pulled onto the road in between.

No the spotter calls out traffic over the radio. If there's a possibility of someone coming out of a side road, he would call that. We're talking long open sections here including mountains. Even if he says its ok and we don't like what we see on our end, we will wait and have him update us. We have never had an issue nor come close to hitting someone doing it this way. I've done this for quite some time without putting "anyone" at risk.

shrek

RDC Crypto

I will call out the Vildosola guys and their a$$hat drivers on the way north. Red raptors doing over 100 mph passing us on blind corners and uphills.

We only own one Red Raptor.....what time was this and what day?

Shrek