• Forum membership has its advantages....

Congratulations 7 time!

Mark Newhan

Jimmy Johnson wins his 7th Championship. It's crazy to think that a humble guy from El Cajon (Crest nevertheless) has proven that he is the best NASCAR driver ever. He ties Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt. What makes Jimmy's reign so impressive is that he has done it in an era when the competition is so tight. Richard Petty used to put a couple dozen laps on the entire field back in his day and Dale raced in an era when there were about 10 teams that dominated.

Being a fan of racing of just about every kind, my view of our own sport has emulated NASCAR. When TT was born in 1994 Rob MacCachren won the inaugural season in a class 8 I Beam truck. Races in that era were decided in minutes and sometimes longer. We now qualify an entire field in seconds and for the top qualifiers in split seconds and races often come down to the same. There are a lot of parallels between NASCAR and desert racing. Both forms of racing are true representation of the American way of life. The best drivers in the world have dipped their toes into both forms of racing and have learned what it means to be an American Alpha Dog.

Last edited:

Mumzy

Got to give it to him. They clawed back and without a doubt earned this one. It wouldn't surprise me if he still has two more left in him.

Chris_Wilson

It is awesome that JJ has won championships under every format so far. But I really dislike the latest chase format, the outcome can allow luck to play too great a role.

Chris Tobin

It is awesome that JJ has won championships under every format so far. But I really dislike the latest chase format, the outcome can allow luck to play too great a role.
I agree wholeheartedly!!! With the current format, the Champion is a Homestead NASCAR Champion rather than a NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion...

That being said, I am glad Jimmie won, even as a very big 3 fan!!!

bajaherbie

i am not a fan of the chase either, wonder what the outcome would be if it was figured with the original points system?

probably not the 48 team. i do enjoy the racing and travel to texas for one or both of their yearly races... the 6 hr delay was something else though.