• Forum membership has its advantages....

CONSOLIDATE CLASSES...WE MUST!!!

Rory

Crayola Killer
I’ve thought about this very thing quite a few years ago. I don’t know the answer but I think something that would help is make it a 5 year plan. You have 5 years to fit your truck or buggy Into a particular class and the rules must stay in place for 5 years.
The point is if you start changing the rules and only give these guys a year to comply, they are going to fight it. But, if you can slowly start working your way into a certain class you have plenty of time to start gathering parts or sell for something else.

SMS81

Evolution will never allow it. What actual racer really cares? I would be happy as could be if I beat on Mac straight up, even if he was the only other person in my class! Winning is hard, most of us are here for the adventure. If I as a racer had a problem with the low entries in my class I would switch classes. Run what you brung in whatever class you want. I’m actually glad there is a variety, then everyone gets to play. There is only 1 pro class in Offroad and even it is full of hobbyists. My ramble. See you at SS, where I will be happy to race 2 other cars for some ford money!!

ace_photo

GET SOME
IMHO there are 8 Classes

T1 - Unlimited Truck
T2 - Limited Motor Truck - Unlimited Suspension
T3 - 4 cyl truck - Limited Suspension - TL and BL style
T4 - Stock Truck/Car - Full Body OEM Class including Class 11

B1 - Unlimited Buggy including U4s
B2 - Limited Motor Unlimited Suspension - Class 10 and 6200 style
B3 - UTVs
B4 - All the limited class buggys 9,12 etc

Yes it will be a tough pill to swallow for some. But it will insure full fields and a path to follow.

I also daydream about a licensing process that requires you to gain experience at the lower classes before getting into the top 2 classes.

Flame away
This^^^ 100% agree.

Hardest part of explaining offroad racing to someone is all the classes. Even if they're standing there watching the race with you.

stephenrjking

This^^^ 100% agree.

Hardest part of explaining offroad racing to someone is all the classes. Even if they're standing there watching the race with you.
Consolidating down to 8 classes won't make it markedly easier for the novice fan, though. Might seem less complicated to explain for the expert (and I can certainly digest the 8 categories listed easier than I can digest the current array of classes) but the novice fan is still going to think this is more than they can easily put together. Sports car racing has trouble explaining just four classes to fans.

And it's not that big of a deal, anyway. People tend to focus on two basic things: The top end, and the cool story.

Think of the NCAA basketball tournament. What gets the most attention? The power team with a #1 seed and future NBA stars, and the Cinderella 11 seed that makes the Sweet Sixteen. Casual fans don't really care that much about the 5 seed that gets bombed by Villanova early in the second weekend.

In desert racing, people care about the top end. The Trophy Trucks. And TT spec is pretty easy to understand, too, since they are Trophy Trucks with less juicy engines. Then come the buggies. They look different. They're also really fast.

Then it's a blend of buggies and trucks and they're cool to watch pass and it's not really worth trying to get it all, whether they come from 4 different classes or 10. People's eyes would glaze over if you tried to explain the difference between class 3000 and Trophylite, but their eyes are going to be glazed over whether those trucks are in the same class or not.

Finally, at the end, it's the cool story. The Bug or the Jeepspeed that some guy puts out there on a shoestring budget and it's a real triumph for them just to finish under the limit. People get that.

I've only really paid much attention to desert racing for a couple of years. Yes, the classes would be easier to understand if they had just 8 of them. But it hasn't dented my enjoyment of the sport at all, because as I get into it, what am I watching? The top performers. And the cool story. And as I get into it, I learn more.

jon coleman

most hoots& hollering i heard from novice fans is at the dash , when a group of Top 16 guys come through coyote, beating& banging and never lifting, now Thats a show for the fans, expert& novice!!( ps, they lift sort of to get under RR bridge

Lucho

Even though this thread (originally posted by yours truly), has morphed into many arguments (all interesting), the matter at hand was to see if classes can be consolidated and make it a lot easier for the racer and spectator to enjoy the various battles on the the dirt. It seems it digressed into many other things, but most recently; Ace Photo and Stephen, have made solid arguments, as did others, to see if we can make it easier on everyone.
I like these:
T1 - Unlimited Truck (also known as Trophy Truck, Trick Truck, fire-eater, rich-man's pick-up, etc.)
T2 - Limited Motor Truck - Unlimited Suspension
T3 - 4 cyl truck - Limited Suspension - TL and BL style
T4 - Stock Truck/Car - Full Body OEM Class including Class 11

B1 - Unlimited Buggy including U4s
B2 - Limited Motor Unlimited Suspension - Class 10 and 6200 style
B3 - UTVs

B4 - All the limited class buggys 9,12 etc
(Please leave room for the Baja Bugs including Class 11s Bajas.)

I would love for Dave Cole to fine tune his suggestions and include the different class names it incorporates, next to each of the classes he is suggesting.
More importantly, we know that both SCORE and BITD may not change their minds about their classes, numbering and names, so how about all other promoters joining in one common effort to:

1. Cut down on classes by combining, but still include all existing classes currently racing today, and...
2. How about agreeing to a common "numbering system" for each of the 8 or 10 or 12 Classes we may ultimately agree?

I think this would be a great start to eventually work towards common classes and rules.

I ask as a favor to those of you who like to go on into other matters (PERHAPS RELEVANT OR NOT OR WAR STORIES, ETC.), on this thread. Please refrain.
For many of us, this is important, so that we can build accordingly.

I'm trying to build a jet-powered Trophy/Trick/Wild/Monster, "Super Truck" to race next year. I want to see where it will fit.......jajaja. just kidding!
You can also contact me at [email protected] - Thanks.

cynicwanderer

there's really only one class (overall) that people care about. seems like people are comparing how UTVs rank vs. TTs and Class 10, these days, not within UTVs... right now it's TTs that are winning overall and the occasional moto, that noone talks about. for the rest of us, it's mostly whether we finish ;-)

J Prich

The problem with this in my opinion is that you're going to have a lot of people left with vehicles that are not competitive in the classes they've been lumped in to. What incentive do they have to throw away their hard work, money, etc? They basically have to abandon what they have and quit racing, or start over with a whole new vehicle.

Just a few anecdotal examples using Lou/Dave's proposed classification system...

1450 guys racing against TT's. Even in SNORE/MORE where the unlimited field tends to be less robust than BITD/SCORE, a 1450 is severely handicapped. The best TT versus the best 1450 is no contest, pretty much ever. Worse yet, top tier TT's on course with middle and bottom tier 1450s would be a disaster IMO. Especially at races like RATR and BAP.

Class 2000 guys would basically be done. They have open motor rules so they'd have to race with TTs too, even though they are leaf sprung. 7100s would also be dead most likey as the current rules have been modified enough to not consider them "stock trucks" like traditional 7S. OR they would be legal, in which case trying to race a Class 11 against them would make it pointless for Class 11 guys. I'm sure there are other examples.

Bottom line is there are a lot of racers that would be stuck in groupings that gave them zero chance to be competitive and would potentially leave them out of racing all together under this set up. I'm not sure losing guys who are actually racing for the sake of making things "easier" is really worth it. As I stated previously, my opinion is that this kind of thing at this point is that the cure may be worse than the disease.