contact info for Steve Mizel/Max Jameison

toddz

Reaction
Do any of the old timers have any contact info for Steve Mizel and Max Jameison(sp?), who raced a Bronco in the late 70's/early '80s?

TIA,
Todd Z.

jimpat

Reaction
i think Neil Leiger worked for Mizel and also Earl at Valley diesel.
email me and i can give you the phone #
jim

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I work for Mark leager now, He was the one that built the car for Mizel, have you ever seen that car he bilt for him.....sic and i belive it was built on a $100 bet with Larry Minor.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

martininsocal

Reaction
The original car ws pretty slick, when Mizel had it redone with the trick suspension, it was way too ahead of its time. Man, that is a name from the past.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

retroblazer

Reaction
What was different about the suspension under Mizel's Bronco?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

retroblazer

Reaction
Ok, besides the obvious engine setback, I see coil springs and the usual bunch of shocks, but that's it. I understood it had independent front suspension. Was it an early ttb setup or something else?

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Ok, besides the obvious engine setback, I see coil springs and the usual bunch of shocks, but that's it. I understood it had independent front suspension. Was it an early ttb setup or something else?

I believe that it was 2wd. The centerline of the front spindles were moved forward a ton. I also believe that it was a tube chassis. The number in that picture is class 6.

retroblazer

Reaction
I saw the six number, but I figured it was at the Mint or some non-Score race. There's something in the deep recesses of my tiny brain, but I recall someone mentioning an Olds tornado transaxle in regards to this Bronco.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
IMG_2795.JPG
IMG_2796.JPG
Here's a couple more. The red variant looks to be different than the orange. I only saw it race one or two times and it was quite a bit different than the other stuff back then.

retroblazer

Reaction
The front shocks are definitely different between the two. What was Mizel's story?

retroblazer

Reaction
My search shows that he ended up in the San Francisco bay area newspapers in Nov. of 1975. It stated that he owned the Toyota dealership Novato, and lived in Mill Valley. He also raced two SCCA rallies that were held in Reno in 81 and 82 He did alright in the first one, but rolled out of the race in the second. The later references suggest that he moved to Colorado.

retroblazer

Reaction
I asked Sandy Cone this morning about what he knew of the truck. He said it was an a-arm front end with a 9" center section. He claimed his class 4 Jeep was faster, suggesting they never fully dialed the ifs.

retroblazer

Reaction
The Bronco was originally raced by Bill Rush who won the 1974 Baja 1000 in class 4.
The original build was done by Smokey Allerman with Dan Shields, who became Rush's codriver and later went to work for Walker Evans.
Allerman according to Cone, still has the body molds.