Contingency Program not working ?

klaus

Administrator
After talking to some racers it got brought to my attention that the contingency program with some promoters is a big hassle. The Promoters take a very long time to send out proof of eligibility to the vendors. The Vendors wont pay out the winnings unless they receive that proof. I know of one case where the vendor has not received the proper paperwork from a race held in January. The winning racer did not receive any contingency prize money and prices yet.

Are other racers experiencing the same thing ? What seems to be the problem ?

BradM

I have heard the exact same complaint from a friend who won the Vegas to Reno race a few years ago in 5-1600. He was supposed to receive over $1000 in contengency money and product and what he ended up with was 0. I know it kind of left a sour taste on the whole contengency program for him.

BITD in the Desert is a series that is very effective in paying their contingency out. Every time we have been eligible for something they always saw to it that it was taken care of........

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports/ Protruck 27 / Excursion 4111

jimpat

I am looking at the contingency declaration from the SCORE Laughlin race, first place finish,
none of these company even acknoledged their commitment:

Fabtech
De Nunzio
Howie
Inland Empire driveline serv.

the following sent me products or payment:

Jim Connors for American wheels, K&N filters, MSD ignition, KC Lites

M/T tires
VP fuel
Sign Pros

The question is: was the paper work sent to them?
I phoned Charlie at SCORE many times but he never returned the calls.

MDR is a total contingency disaster..... I just wont run there any more.....

jim

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

partybarge_pilot

Hah, try getting a new battery out of optima if your not running a truck. The sad thing is, we've been running an optima for years. Even when duralast was the official sponsor......

jimpat

about four years ago i got tired of cleaning acid spots on the rear of the blazer and bought me 2 optimas.....even though dura last had the blazer on their TV commercial. They are still in good shape and
no acid eating the truck away

scott

Try getting a battery out of any of them ???? San Felipe 1999, I was out by Matomi with a dead battery. Nobody had cables ( including me, Dumb ), and a partner gave me a ride into town to purchase one from Duralast. Note* Purchase, not looking for a freebie. He asked me what race team was I with. Figuring he had some batteries. Then I told him I was by myself and I was looking to purchase one.... Well he basically told me to screw off, he had none, but if I was with a team then he'd come through... Ever since then I boycotted Duralast... I hope now that Optima has absorbed them I hope they don't continue the tradition !!!!!!!!

TROPHYSEDAN

We raced the night race with MDR last year and won it .I never got contengency from K C and K n N so i called Jim ,He said i was down as the winner but not elagable so i lost 300 dollers in products .The hardest one was whiplash after the parker 400 and i still never got my 50 bucks for running there sticker.I have been running the same stuff for a long time .We race the same tracks and its hard to get stuff for a 11 car. Thanks to the products we do get .Thanks Dennis

FABRICATOR

Klaus,
This is very related to what I have mentioned here before. There are plenty of vendors that don't care that you race in the first place, regardless of the class. This is true for materials, parts, and supplies. I know a couple of vendors that I would never accept sponsorship from, and several that would have to provide product or funds first before I would ever use their stuff or run their stickers. It's understandable that a racing shock company would not support any but the most famous. But it's not understandable why someone who builds transmissions, manufactures batteries or tires, or sells accessories retail, charges the racers the same as anyone off the street. It's kind of ridiculous because the people with cars at contingency and racing are not only doing some advertising but are the ones buying more than their share of these products. Not supporting the racers is a doubly bad deal. A no-show of support by vendors, should not go ignored.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

klaus

Administrator
Fabricator,

the problem is that the contingency programs makes a promises before the race to pay x amount in cash or merchandise to the winner or top 3 winners of a certain class and then after the race they are not holding up to the promises and/or the promoter doesn't supply proof to the vendor on who is eligible. Now the racer has to chase after his prizes. Call vendors, wait call again just to get the runaround and suddenly the $50.00 air filter or case of oil is more hassle then its worth.

Terrie_Tavis

As far as putting decals on my car, other than contingency, I put decals on my car of companies that work hard for me and go all out to ensure that I do well in a race, such as my engine builder, chassis builder and transmission builder. No, they don't give me a discount, but they break their backs getting the work done right and on time (and sometimes I have a really killer schedule). That means more to me than free products and I am proud to run their names on my car.

http://www.tavis-racing.com
BAD ASS TOYS AREN'T JUST FOR BOYS!!!!!!

ntsqd

This strikes a cord with me. I had to explain to the company rep for Chris King (MTB parts) that the reason I didn't want the headset with "KING" laser engraved all around it was that they weren't sponsoring me and I was paying retail for the parts. If they were giving me a significant price break, sponsoring me in some fashion, or, like Terrie's suppliers, making sure I had what I needed for every race, I would be glad to advertise for them. Otherwise, forget it.

I think vendors have gotten used to people paying to advertise for them (example: all of those Fabtech, Rancho, etc. windshield banners people have BOUGHT and then put on their trucks) and now don't understand when someone as screwed up as me comes along and won't do it.

If racers aren't getting product or prizes for winning then they have two options that I can see. Don't expect anything for winning and don't run the sticker for any company that doesn't support your racing efforts in some fashion. Or make a lot of noise, call each vendor and either thank them for supporting you (a class act anyway) or ask why whatever hasn't shown up. Tell them there's no point in your continuing to run their sticker if the product or cash isn't actually awarded (Drag racers make sure that there is a lot of wax under each sticker as they change them frequently). Let them put the pressure on the sanctioning body to get things squared away.
Keep in mind that contingency programs affect their bottom line, sometimes significantly, so getting anything is a plus.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Tim

I agree with you about the brand name problem, but with most of the companies you suggested 90%(or whatever) of the consumers want that powdercoated blue "fabtech" label or whatever it may be and are actually willing to pay more for it than one without it. Its like girls wanting the guchi bag instead of the generic ones, in some cases there is no difference in quality, but the price difference is amazing!
I totally agree with you and if I can find it without a name on "it" I'd much rather have it blank. I think that producers with a name that is worth a lot to them and most of their consumers are not willing to make exceptions especially to the few that dont want to do free advertising for them. Thats when you gotta go find the generic, but comparable quality product. Tim
so did the rep. accomidate you?

ntsqd

Chris King headsets used to come with very low key engraving and offered the big "KING" engraving as a no cost option. Got so that enough of their sales wanted the big engraving that they flip-flopped the offerings. First one took several weeks to exchange, mostly because it was odd size/type combo. Since then I order them specifically w/o the engraving.

Had to laugh at the Gucci analogy, t'was a time when "gucci" ment what "disco" means now.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Tim

So are you trying to say my gucci leather head band used to not be cool! whoof, what kind of world!?
Seriously though, thats a lot of work to go through, but maybe the point will be made and like you said an option to get products minus the free advertising will be made available on more products if enough people request it often enough. Tim

PLS

At last year's Veags To Reno, we ran our 5-1600 and "won" our class. We ran as sportsman to save some $, but many vendors in contingency said they would still pay so we ran all sorts of stickers on the car. We never received anything after the race. After calling BITD, we found out we missed the small print in the rules that said if you are the only car in your class, you aren't eligble for any contingency payouts. Considering how tough that course was for a limited car like ours, I thought we put on a pretty good demonstration of what many of these parts are capable of in extreme conditions, and deserved some recognition from all the companies that "support" our sport. Oh well, enough whining for now.
Pete- BOYD RACING

jimpat

This is what I am going to do...
When you see the Blazer at contingency, the logos with a X on them are the ones that did not pay or sent what they promesed, but FIRST i am going to see if the person in charge at SCORE, at MDR etc. has sent them
the finishers list and all the info. required.
As of now, from what i found out from persons that would have no gain by not adhering to the contingency postings, ( jim conners, whom I known and respected for many years, and Kelly at VP fuel, and others)
it seems that they are not getting the proper paper work from the race promotors.

frankh

That seems like an excuse more than the problem. If they know you placed, then that should pay. I have given some stuff to MDR for contingency and I got it to them before the race so it could be given at the awards. Even if it was gift certificate then it would be a done deal.

jimpat

The jeep thing is somewhat different. Its like a club racing together and posting prizes.
Contingency is a payment offered in exchange of advertising space.
Once the race is over, they get the exposure but do not especially care about paying, and its not that much they even give us.
Example: We ran the ISKY cam on our viser for 4 years.
The blazer has been shown on National TV for the duralast commercials during NASCAR, CART and other races for a whole year. ( year 2000 I think ).
It appeared in Magazines, Klaus video, off road related news papers, etc.
If Isky had to fork out the money for the same exposure by other means it would cost them a fortune.
I used Isky only as an example, they have helped me since 1957 during my ups and downs and I would do anything for them.
Our sport has probably the poorest participants of all auto racing. (lets forget about the T T and the few daddies boys out there ) and the few bucks we can get back from contingency can be the difference between racing the next race or not.
WE NEED TO CORRECT THE NON PAYMENT PROBLEM!!!!!!
jim