Convert a Ford E4OD transmission to manual..........

motoxscott

Reaction
Does anyone know if you can convert a late model Ford E4OD auto transmission to a manual valvebody? Also Does Art Carr offer a gate shifter for it?

Anyone have experiance with this specific setup/change-over?

Thanks,

-Scott

Sites

Reaction
I would recommend talking to "Dan" at Art Carr (www.artcarr.com) -- (888)526-5868. I am converting from an E4OD in my 94' to a C6 (which I ordered from Art Carr) and he seems to know his [censored].

- Andy

94' Lightning Prerunner (in-progress)

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Make sure you deal with the Art Carr here in So Cal...do not deal with the A-holes in texas that bought a part of Art Carr...they are giving AC a bad name.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

Sites

Reaction
Is that so? I purchased my transmission from the Art Carr in TX with no problems. The fabricator building my truck has also purchased a number of the Art Carr transmissions (for both his race truck and trucks he has built for clients) from the TX location with no problems. I cannot manage to find the other "reputable" Art Carr contact info that you are referring to.

motoxscott

Reaction
Andy,

What exactly are you having to do to get that C6 in there and working correctly? Are you still running the stock 5.8L EFI and computer on the motor?

I'd rather go the C6 route if it's do-able with the stock motor and electronics in a '94/'95 F-150.

-Scott

Sites

Reaction
Go to this link and read the threads(thanks Ramsey) -- all of the info is about 10 threads in.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.2bigbroncos.com/pipermail/2big-dixie/2002-September/000518.html>http://www.2bigbroncos.com/pipermail/2big-dixie/2002-September/000518.html</A>

In short, you need to replace the drive shaft, shifter (just get the Art Carr shifter), relocate the cross member or fab a new one -- this is because it is significantly shorter. I am running a manual valve body, but the link explains how to setup a vacume line for auto-shifting.

motoxscott

Reaction
Is it as easy as just swapping in a computer from a stick shift version of the truck and everything will be fine?

When you have time Andy, can you explain what you're doing exactly?

Thanks for the info.

Sites

Reaction
The C6 doesn't read off of the computer. Here is a link directly to the thread.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.2bigbroncos.com/pipermail/2big-dixie/2002-September/000528.html>http://www.2bigbroncos.com/pipermail/2big-dixie/2002-September/000528.html</A>

There are a few reasons why we are converting to a C6 from the E4OD transmission. First, I am running a 9" rearend, so the speed sensor which plugs info the stock 8.8 would no longer be functional -- the speed sensor is necessary for the E4OD to function properly. Second, when we cycled the rear suspension with the E4OD and stock drive shaft, we were going to need to limit the travel to 20-22" due to slip yolk issues -- without this, the rear can cycle approximately 30". Finally, cost and strength -- the C6 is not only incredibly strong, but also MUCH less expensive to repair or replace.

1992f150

Reaction
scott, I think only the 5.0 came with a manual version, the 5.8 did not.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

toddz

Reaction
Is that so? I purchased my transmission from the Art Carr in TX with no problems. The fabricator building my truck has also purchased a number of the Art Carr transmissions (for both his race truck and trucks he has built for clients) from the TX location with no problems. I cannot manage to find the other "reputable" Art Carr contact info that you are referring to.

Well, then consider yourself very fortunate. I had awful luck with them back in '99 and swore I'd never return. I've heard a lot of bad things about them from other people as well since then. The website for the original Art Carr's company appears to be down now, but it's artcarrtransmission.com when it's working. Art Carr himself had sold the name and his company and re-started his company a year or two back to try and salvage his name.

Todd Z.

motoxscott

Reaction
Well I just got off the phone with Scott at Art Carr in Texas. He was very helpful and answered all the questions I threw at him. He seemed very knowledgable.

This is some info I found out for the E4OD if anyone cares:

They do offer a gate shifter for the E4OD and also have an upgraded valvebody. They do not offer a manual valve body for it though. The shifter runs about $280, the valve body $250 and a complete transmission with all the upgrade parts for about $2000.

I'd like to go with a manual valvebody, but since this truck will also be used on the street I'd like OD. I'll probably just end up building up the stock E4OD. A C6 would be nice though.

-Scott