convert smooth bodies to C/O

Muddi44

May be a stupid question however;

I am considering converting my leaf sprung race truck to coils. I currently use Fox 2" smooth bodies. Money is tight, so is it possible to change the shock tubes for threaded bodies and fit the lock rings etc to convert my current shocks to coil overs.

Tim

Random Thoughts Racing

It should be possible to order a pair of tubes and coil hardware to convert the shocks. Of course ordering spare parts is always more expensive after the initial purchase. You might try to find a pair of used coilovers and sell what you have.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
May be a stupid question however;

I am considering converting my leaf sprung race truck to coils. I currently use Fox 2" smooth bodies. Money is tight, so is it possible to change the shock tubes for threaded bodies and fit the lock rings etc to convert my current shocks to coil overs.

Tim
Weld an upper ring on, machine an upper perch that isnt threaded (easy to do) and use half cut tubes and t-clamps to adjust preload, buy or machine a lower perch. Need more preload you use longer half cut tubes, need shorter ones, you cut them down. Look at a Robby Gordon TT shock. Same method, very simple.

If you are converting from leafs to coilovers...you are going to need some money just for materials. I would rethink what you are doing if you cant afford to put decent shocks on the car.

Muddi44

7/8" shaft

"If you are converting from leafs to coilovers...you are going to need some money just for materials. I would rethink what you are doing if you cant afford to put decent shocks on the car."

I take your point, however shocks in the UK are 1.5x the price in the US. I run my race truck on a very meagre budget (all out of my own pocket) and have to consider anywhere where I can save. Current shocks are in good condition and work well on the lightweight truck (about 2200lb). Races are rally style (all on private land) so courses are short 9 miles max. Heat build up is not an issue.

PhillipM

^^You could try one of the Rally-design or similar type coilover conversion sleeves that just bond/weld over the tube body, not sure if any are the right size for a Fox 2" mind, have to check the dimensions.

Muddi44

I must admit I was more thinking of changing the smooth wall tubes for threaded tubes, I see no difference in part # for pistons, seals etc. Adding in the hardware for the spring seats it comes to about $120/shock. What is the reference to shaft size, I assume that a 7/8" shaft is required for C/Os

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Sell your shocks, take the $120/shock you were going to spend + the shock selling price and get a used set of 2.5 coilovers.

Rough_Rider_Racing

If you jump on ebay and search for a mob called Down South Motorsports they do king products that are at fairly decent price too. Muddi if you speak to Jim From Giggle pin UK im sure he can find you someone to buy your old smoothies.