Converting from BJ's to Uniballs

FordFreak

Reaction
Converting from BJ\'s to Uniballs

I have been wanting a coilover kit for my truck for a long time now and was wondering if it is possible to take a CST kit with BJ's and use Uniballs instead or am I thinking that the BJ's are in a different place than they are. Still a rookie on here and would appreciate it if you experts could "learn" me. Thanks.
Was looking at these==> CST Long Travel in classifides. Would this be a good first kit for me anyway?

01Baja4x4

Reaction
Re: Converting from BJ\'s to Uniballs

Why not keep the ball joints? Are they known to fail on that kit? In answer to your question, I'm sure uniballs could be added with some fab skill and or money.

-Tim

FordFreak

Reaction

I would love to get a new coiloveer kit but really don't have the $4k-$5K to get one and will not anytime in the future. I has looking at the kit in the classifieds due to the lower price. I was also looking at the stock coil bucket set-up by CST as well, but If I could get a coilover set-up for a little more than all teh better.

jeff

Reaction

The ball-joint kit is still a good kit but CST ditched the ball-joints for a couple of reasons. The "gotta have uni-balls" was one and the other was ball-joint wear.

The CST coil spring kit is a good kit but you are asking a TON from a single 2" diameter non-reservoir Bilstein shock. If you are going for looks that's one thing... if you are going for performance you won't get it from one Bilstein 5100 at each wheel.

Converting from BJ's to Uni-balls (that sounds wrong) won't be cheap or easy. You'd be better off buying a uni-ball kit and probably won't spend much more on the kit. New the CST kit without coilover shocks is around $2000.00 with the upper shock mounts. Find some used but not used up coilovers for the kit on RDC and for $2500-2600 bucks you could have the kit you want.

Aloha

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

This may not apply but, I have been running stock ball joints on my custom arms since day one with no failures and minimal wear. I do want to replace at least the upper with a "gotta have" uniball. But I doubt I will until i have a stocker break.

FordFreak

Reaction

Thanks Jeff that is not a bad idea. Maybe I can call the guy who is selling the kit without uni's and see if he will sell just the CO's.

jeff

Reaction

When I say "gotta have uni-balls" I more accurately should have said that CST gave into the current pressure that is caused by customers demanding uni-ball equipped parts regardless of actual necessity. Uni-ball equipped arms are "like the in thing right now" and the ball-joint technology, no matter how sufficient, just doesn't cut it when the other guy is making arms with uni-balls. Still, if I was laying down the cold hard $$$ for a new kit I'd probably run the uni-ball arms just because it makes running a fabricated spindle a little easier.

Aloha