• Forum membership has its advantages....

Converting Swing Axle to IRS

cynicwanderer

there are many Class 9/swing axle Chenowth chassis out there and I'd like to get into buggies (being a moto guy). I was curious what the effort is to change the suspension from ball joint/swing axle to king pin and IRS. I'm pretty handy in the shop, but far from expert builder, so I could probably do some of the actual work myself, with some guidance from a builder/instructions/kit. I suspect there are some fixtures that are needed to align things. are there any instructions/kits out there that would make a conversion more successful ?

initially, I plan to race in sportsman class, to gain some experience racing buggies so class compliance to Class 1600 is not as big of an issue at first, but I suspect I would enjoy buggies a lot more if they had a little more suspension than a Class 9, especially on the rougher courses. I have driven a swing axle and IRS and I think like the feel of IRS better.

or is it better just to wait and find an older Class 12/10/1600 type chassis and go from there ?

The latter, IMHO. The 9's have too short a wheelbase as well, and by the time you add IRS pivots, stretch the chassis, cut off the beam/mounts to accommodate the KP beam, you have a lot of time money and effort better spent in the dez than the shop.

cynicwanderer

The latter, IMHO. The 9's have too short a wheelbase as well, and by the time you add IRS pivots, stretch the chassis, cut off the beam/mounts to accommodate the KP beam, you have a lot of time money and effort better spent in the dez than the shop.
good point about the wheel base. I guess I didn't consider that, maybe there is a reason why so many class 9 chassis are out there.