converting to air bumps

Greg

Reaction
I use my 2.5 14" kings as just coil carriers now, i was thinking of making a soild piston for the shock and drilling a couple holes in the body below say the 1/2 way point up the body(in a precise location of course) and letting the last stage be used as a bump. i could also let the very bottom of the shock work as a limit (bump on the extension stroke). anyone thought of doing something like this? i figure at 14" travel ,if the comp started 1/2 way through the travel the terminal pressure would be around 800 psi on a 2.25 inch piston. Any thoughts from anyone?

Greg

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Sounds interesting. Where would the holes lead to?

<font color=blue>"A Ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"</font color=blue>

Greg

Reaction
They would just be bleed holes in the side of the shock body, my biggest concern would be keeping the lip seals alive passing over the holes.

Greg

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Sounds like a good idea. what foundation did you base the 800 psi on? You could tune the holes to whistle as they stroke! I backworked your numbers and came up with around a 1400 lb wheel force without factoring in the springs.

Kris

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Other concerns would be lubrication and keeping dirt out.

<font color=blue>"A Ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"</font color=blue>

hoeker

Reaction
in order for this to work you will need an external sleeve to contain the oil right? then the drilled holes in the body will act as bypasses. for it to do double duty you would need an o ring to separate the top and bottom sections. i did this on my stocker with fox 2.0's for fall crandon, i really liked it, but CORR outlawed it for this year. this used to be quite common, and i don't think caused a problem for the seals, after all it's just like the bypass tubes now, right?

another option is to "broach" the inside of the shock body, this will do the same thing without making the overall shock diameter bigger. this could be difficult to do deep down in the shock body, but i was thinking a custom made broaching tool and a stout lathe could do it. this method could require several paths for the oil to use as you will be limited on depth of cut. this will be easy to incorporate both the comp. and reb. goals though.

over here (CORR country) we use the bypass shock as the bump, nobody runs air bumps, but by stopping the bypass tubes 4" or so from the limit of the travel you accomplish the same thing. or am i totally missing the boat on what you're trying to accomplish.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Timmah

Reaction
Ross,
I don't think Greg runs oil in his coil carriers, but I might be mistaken.

I LIVE MY LIFE ............ ONE CORNER AT A TIME!!

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Ross, I think he is talking about using just air.

hoeker

Reaction
just air? very interesting concept?

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Greg

Reaction
Tim's right, just air, i have bypasses up there now. But i have no bumps or even limit straps, and the little amount of rebound at droop lets the front fall pretty fast. So i was even gonna use tis as a limit bump too, i need to just see about the seals, i can also use a bunch of small holes. Yeah kritter has it right, just need to decide on what song i want it to play.

Greg

orvacian

Reaction
Sounds cool but whats gonna keep the piston lubricated? I would think grease would just push out the holes. You would need a really really good filter to keep dust out too. Other then that it sounds like it would work to me.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I think that if you use it as a limit strap you would "rip" the bottom cap off of the body, isn't it just aluminum? as for using air for the bump I would assume it would burn up the seals with out lubrication of sort, but don't go to the bank of that one. Didn't you make the bypass? As well arn't they similar to a MS bypass with the valving on the outside, if so why don't you make the last stage do the bump, or modify it to do so, can't be that hard, what to you think?