• Forum membership has its advantages....

converting .USR to .KML problems

punchdrunk monkey

I am trying to convert all my Lowrance .usr files from the Baja 4000 to Google Earth .kml files so that I can review our course.

I really want to over lay the trails on a map and print it out but that is another issue.....

I am using GPS Babel to convert the USR-KML files and I keep getting "invalid longitude 12600.3 in waypoint "(icon0)"

I am getting the same error on every file that I saved to disk.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

My GPS is a Lowrance Trophy 5 Baja.

Also, If I manually recreated our trails on Google Earth, what is the best way to print out a map of Baja with our trail on it? I would like to put a bubble text on each days trail noting start/stop points, date and mileage. I want to make a cool picture to frame.

Thanks!!

AZ7000'

Search your .usr files for the errant waypoint and fix or delete it?

PaulW

OK, here is what I do, but I do not use a Trophy so give us some feed back if you do the following.
First did you try to convert for USR v3 or USRv4. They are different. I wonder what Trophy uses?
Assuming you have a USRv3 - Verify you have a valid and not corrupted USR by loading it into Trackmaker. If you have a good file there will not be garbage or extraneous tracks that you sometimes get from other conversion SW. However I use GPSBabel.org for your task with success. BTW TM does not support USRv4 (just v0 thru 3) .
In that case you must deal with GPSBabel.org
Once you think you have a good USR by viewing on TM then use the "save file as" and choose KML. Task done.
If your USR file is bad edit the thing until you are happy. On the B1k first USRv3 file it was full of garbage that they subsequently fixed on later versions.

You can also use TM to edit and add short WP text. Once you have a TM file save it as a KML and use screen capture for your picture.
TM is free and comes with a North America map that is of no value except for the main highways and a few rivers or drainage's. Its main purpose is to do the above. Don't forget to download the TM user manual.
BTW, the kind of problem you encountered is common when going to/from GPS files. And there is a fix for that as well.
PaulW
PS, If you have a MAC ignore all the above. PW

punchdrunk monkey

I checked the GPS and couldn't see which version it saved as. I did download trackmaker. When I tried to open the .usr file it came up with this message "current version doesn't support this file. Please download the new version of GTM". I just downloaded trackmaker, so I would assume it was the latest??

PaulW

Bingo --- That means you have USRv4. Go back to GPSBabel.org and choose USRv4 to KML. I am sure it will work. Been there done that.
Thanks for the feedback.

punchdrunk monkey

didn't work. Here is the message from GPSBable "input file is from an unsupported version of the usr format (must be version 4)"

punchdrunk monkey

I just tried to convert the files in GPSvisualizer.com and it came up with error messages too.

punchdrunk monkey

darn, I thought it was going to work. I was able to convert file from usrV4 to usr. I put the converted file in a different folder so not to mistake them. Then I tried on Trackmaker, GPSBabel and GPsvisualizer to convert to KML. They all came up with the same error of invalid longitude waypoint.

PaulW

Good book keeping for multiple user files.

Ok, Seems you have a corrupted file that your Trophy created.
With your new .USR file were you able to view the track on TM? I guess so?
Anyway more effort:
The next step is to load & view your file on your GPS and start deleting WPs. Record the coords for each for later use. When they are all gone the save the file and repeat all the previous stuff. When you get a KML file put the WPs back on the trail and save the thing as a new KML and put it into TM to see what you get.
If it views OK the save as KML and see what happens.
If you like the result save it as a .usr file for later use, just in case.

punchdrunk monkey

I think I'm getting closer but still not working. I did find on my GPS the version saved. I can save as Ver2 with no waypoint depth or ver3. I went through the waypoints and there were about a dozen that had crazy coordinates. They were like 6000 miles away. Anyways, I deleted all of them and went through and deleted any other waypoints that I didn't recognize. I saved the file as a ver2 and ver3. Neither of the files (ver2 or ver3) would open in bable or TM. I am still getting the same errors.

I might delete all the waypoints, I only want the trails.

PaulW

Always use ver2 (no depth etc)
From your GPS Delete all WPs and save. Then try again
You can create WPs once you get to GE.
Aftre saving Try .USB and .USBv4 like before