cooling problems

NORCALf150

Reaction
for you gearheads 92 f150, 302, at idle or around town it runs cool, soon as it gets up past 2,500 rpms on the freeway or long straight away, it almost overheats, now ive replaced the water pump, brand new raidiator, water temp sendin unit, new fan clucth, thermostat, all new hoses and even double checked the thermostat on the stove, motor has 150,000 on it still runs strong, any input would be helpfull

the faster i go the smother it is

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
strange, at speed it should be able to air cool. Have you flushed the cooling system, and does the heat work? Also are you still using the factory gauge, they don't have temps on them if I am correct and normal is the middle.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

NORCALf150

Reaction
yes im currently using my stock gauges and the heat and AC work fine and it runs about 1/4 at idle and jumps past 3/4 almost pegged, i flushed to engine about 4k ago right before this problem started, someone had stated could be a head gasket goin out, at high rpm's it could be expanding letting co2 into the water system

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Do you have lights in front of the grill? How is you timing?

michael_loomis

Reaction
transmission slipping ?

NORCALf150

Reaction
timings fine i was told that at high rmps the plates open up in the distributor and retard the timing so i checked it for sure , the transmission bumps everytime it shifts it holds tight when im on the gas but i figured stop and go would put more stress on the trany than on the freeway and i do have two 6 inch lights but there never bothered it before it all started after i installed glass in the front and my bumper......

michael_loomis

Reaction
hmm maybe in some strange way air being pulled in from the fender wells is counter acting air coming through the grill .

how is the transmission temp ?

Eric_M

Reaction
got a skid plate? that will decrease air flow by a bit

stupid people shouldnt breed!

NORCALf150

Reaction
no skid plate and the fender wells are sealed up tommorow im gonna get a temp gauge for my trany and see what hapends its been a battle....thanks guys ill let u know what happends

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Does your bumper go through the grill? If so did you remove the air diverter? I recently removed mine and it jumped almost 20 degrees at hi speed.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

fnkrngr

Reaction
Have you checked to see if there is any compression in the radiator? My guess would be a leaky head gasket.Does it burn any oil?

You dont know the looks i get with this truck on the east coast.

NORCALf150

Reaction
havnt done a pressyre test on the radiator, dosnt burn oil and havt lost any water, air diverter? i didnt bring my bumper through the grill waitin for a bender to start on that, what kinda test could i use on the raidiator like the prestone ones u pump up would that tell me if i had a leaky head or only tell me if i have air, or a leak in the line?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
take the cap off and fire it up...if water shoots out of the radiator, that is one sign of a blown headgasket.

Can the fan be installed backwards? If you changed all the cooling stuff that may have been a possibilty and then at speed the fan would be blocking the incoming air to the motor and stopping air right in front of pushing air back through the radiator so it remains stagnant...sounds crazy, but could happen.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Wrong fan or waterpump. Ford had a standard and reverse rotaion water pumps / fans. Seen that occur on a 1990 mustang.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
84 Toyota 7s Project

NORCALf150

Reaction
what do u mean exactly water shootin out cause that sounds like it, if i take the cap off and start it cold as soon as it kicks down water comes up and out..............and the fan is pullin cause u can feel it in front of the ac cooler it draws good cause a piece of paper will stick to it...get back to me

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Probably a head gasket or the waterpump is wrong as stated before and it is shootin it back out the hose instead of into the motor.

Kris

NORCALf150

Reaction
well that makes it harder cause it was heating up before i changed the waterpump the same deal the only reason i changed the waterpump was cause it got so hot while driving the lil hose that go the the thermo neck...im screwed

OGCamber

Reaction
Dude, my sh#tbox Toyota did exactly the same thing. It was fine around town, but if I tried to go further than about 20 miles or so on the freeway, it would overheat. I finally figured that it was puking all of the coolant out of the overflow (they caught it on video when we were shooting footage for that Mayham video). Anyway, after watching air bubbles in the coolant in the radiator and doing a compression test I figured out that it was a head gasket. The truck had 200,000 miles on it so it was probably time for something to go wrong... LOL!

Courtney Halowell
Editor, StreetTrucks Magazine
www.streettrucksmag.com

NORCALf150

Reaction
looks like i have a problem with my thermostat i took it out today it warmed up and the needle never moved on the highway, so i boiled it over the stove to the right temp and it dosnt fully open up at 190 at about 200 it half so would any recomend a high flow thermostat and what temp should i look for i was thinkin a 180 or 160 motors got miles on it ..thanks guys

hoeker

Reaction
i wouldn't go below 180 deg. unless you have a really good reason. not sure the specs on your engine, but if it's mostly stock, i usually stay stock. IE. 195

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.