CORR Pomona Track 2008

CMI CHUCK

CARR

Championship Asphalt Road Racing?

If this about the expense of hauling dirt in, I smell the beginning of the end!

Steve_Naughton

Is it just me or is an asphalt off road race track an oxymoron? Mickey T is turning over in his grave.
Lets just run the drag strip with a set of 4th gear do or die doubles half way down.
Hey CORR, Phoenix Arizona has plenty of dirt left for OFF ROAD race tracks if LA is all out.

Here's how Rob's been testing for Pomona...

D4D

I have two different thoughts on this. The first is that off road racing has always used pavement, be it Baja, some Mickey Thompson tracks, it has been a part of racing for a long time, it throws a unique challenge into the mix and I think that is important. Look at trhe way Super Moto has taken off, part motocross, part road raicng and it is a hit for racers and fans.
The second thought is we are 8 days before trucks hit the track, anyone remember Lancaster or Dallas last year? They were building the track still on Friday morning. We see a lot of pavement now and little jumps, I bet byt the time we all roll in next Thursday it will be a race track.

Steve_Naughton

That's right. No one really knows what the final track will look like until race day. And they've always come through with good tracks. That's probably the best part of CORR is they know how to build exciting tracks.

ryant35

I'm not too sure about the asphalt but I can't wait to see a Pro 4 sliding from the dirt onto the asphalt and gain all that traction at all four wheels and launch like a fighter jet on a carrier.

jamminjeff10

Keep the updates coming. I always liked seeing the tracks shape up last year and this year I am sure CORR will be putting together awesome tracks. I was sceptical last year about the asphalt, but it ended up adding a whole new aspect to the course and i think alot of people liked it. As long as they dont go overboard on it, 50% is too much, maybe 25%????

Last year, all the dirt did not come from the hole in the ground, it was supposed to, but they ran into alot of rock. Half the dirt came from the horse track. I suspect the same for this year.

They are also going to keep this track up until the final Pomona in August.

Keep the updates and photo's coming!!!

Steve_Naughton

Here's a little taste of Pomona asphalt from 2007. Pro-4's definitely get the style points on the asphalt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLg1oXy-Qu4"]YouTube - Pomona Asphalt - CORR Pomona Fairplex 2007[/ame]

inmymind

Did anybody catch the TORR show last week? I think everybody was busy working on their trucks. they said there is no racing until Saturday due to noise. Corr is still trying to get a permit for friday(qualifying/practice) but as of last Wednesday -still no racing on Friday. Hope this makes sence.....

DezRacer25

Then why are we going to be there Wednesday night. I sure don't want to twiddle my thumbs for two days!
ANY UPDATES!

jamminjeff10

If that is true, which i hope is not, that should be real fun having 1000 new drivers trying to qualify and practice on Saturday morning!

I am sure that this will be resolved. Last year it was and we just couldn't run past 5 or 6pm on all days.

TCPRacing

I can't believe that after two years of CORR bringing us fantastic tracks, that some people still piss and moan as if CORR is going to lay down and have an SCCA parking lot rally. Do you really think they would go through this much trouble and then just bring in a couple truck loads of dirt and call it good? After all, they will have plenty of money to pay for track construction with the new entry fees, pit bike fees and golf cart fees. Not to mention the payolla they must be getting from Safety Solutions.

Volkspower Racing

Is it just me or does anybody else find it amazing that we still know nothing about Pomona next week, no times, when we should/could be there, practice/qualifying, payback, contingency, ect, ect, ect. And when I do call and talk to somebody I hear we should know something in a couple days, well that has been going on for weeks. Does anybody out there know anything, will there be a race? I know I'm just a buggy guy, put it would be nice to plan something for next weekend.

Im sure Im asking the wrong questions to the wrong people, but I cant seem to get any answers when I call CORR so I figured I'd try here.

PORTER TT#22

No worries Jeff, I'll call you as soon as I find out....in a couple of days or next week, just be ready to go, somewhere between wed and fri next week

jamminjeff10

While I am sure there are going to be changes, etc., I have heard that things are going to run similar to last year with practice and qualifying on Friday, racing on Saturday and Sunday. Keep in mind, Saturday is live on Speed from 12:30 - 2:30 PST, so more than likely P4, P2, PL will be running in this time frame, and other classes later in the day.

I would:
Get there on Thursday, set up, & register.
Practice and Qualify on Friday
Race Saturday & Sunday

But, you know things are going to change, be there ready to go on Thursday, CORR will be ready to run, they have always made it happen. First race of the year, long lines at registration, packed pits, alot of people. Get there early.

jamminjeff10

Oh, I almost forgot, somewhere I heard P2 & P4 will be allowed to move in on Wednesday, with the rest of classes move in on Thursday. Not positive, but......

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Did anybody catch the TORR show last week? I think everybody was busy working on their trucks. they said there is no racing until Saturday due to noise. Corr is still trying to get a permit for friday(qualifying/practice) but as of last Wednesday -still no racing on Friday. Hope this makes sence.....
From what I understand CORR is still working with the city of Pomona to get this issue resolved. The NHRA drags are grandfathered into the ordinance and don't have to worry about this. That whole area is noisy. Freeway nearby, train tracks, truck traffic on Arrow Highway, events at the Fairplex, small airport, lake nearby with boats... the list goes on!