CORR

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
While pitting this weekend I heard that Rob MC got tossed from corr, basically because they outlawed air shocks, any truth?

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

RacerX

Reaction
That is the truth. That happend last season. They called it the rob macachren(sp?) rule I believe. No air shocks

hoeker

Reaction
unfortunatly that is basically true, but it was far more complex than that. CORR gave Mac 3 years to update his truck, and he refused to do it. when push came to shove they stuck to their guns and wouldn't let him race. this was unfortunate, he was an incredible asset to the series, but for the good of the series CORR did what they had to do. heard rumor he was coming back this year, not sure if it's true, rumors are rampant this time of year.

CORR wants every driver to know they have a chance of winning when they drive on the track. Mac's suspension may not have been an asset, but it was unattainable by the other racers, and therefore outlawed. we are starting to see some complaints about Taylors center drive truck these days too. new trucks can't do it, so why should he be allowed to keep it? we'll see where it goes.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

fathead1

Reaction
"we are starting to see some complaints about Taylors center drive truck these days too"
What does center drive mean?

Greg

Reaction
Scott Tayylor sits in the center of the truck, where the new "spec" chassis puts the driver on the left. The worst part of the MacCachren deal was that the truck could not be raced ever again in CORR, so he couldn't even sell it to a rooky and put the $$ towards a new ride.

Greg

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
What a sorry excuse for the losers! Mac would probably whoop them in his 1600 desert car!!!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

fathead1

Reaction
O.K. DUH!!!
When I heard center drive, I was thinking as far as drive train.... I wasn't thinking driver in the center.
DOH ! My bad.
Thanks

Kbach66

Reaction
I think it was Brad Inch that said it the best...something like he (Rob Mac) could drive a shopping cart and still whoop up on everybody.
Funny....but probably true! Rob would probably float through the whoops in Vons!

hoeker

Reaction
John Marking from Fox told Mac he'd make him shocks that would bolt on and work. Mac wasn't interested.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Why would he want to change? Better to go out knowing people don't want you to race becasue you are the best! It gives him the "where's Mac" syndrome and the response is "they couldnt beat him so they band his ride"

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Well if you are going to go, go in style. So no one thinks he will modifiy the current chassis, I am sure he can drive around the added weight of a different shock setup. You know if sanctioning bodies eliminate the best, then why don't they just make it all spec truck racing, that is what it is all coming down to, someone comes up with a good idea and those who can't work around it and get beat whine until the new technology becomes extinct. This is Similar to back in the day class 8, family friend replaced the leaf springs, before the had 3 and 4 links, with a single fiberglass spring, it whip up on everyone, they whined, it was banned. Look at NHRA and how important Warren Johnson and J Force is to that sport, they win all the time but NHRA knows that if they change the rules to become more user friendly they would loose large support.

What I am basically saying is that it is a Bum deal when you can't run a winning idea, now how will some one else create the motivation to develope a truck to beat his truck, all that will come of all this is ideas that only come close to his truck, and that have a small chance of exceeding him.

hoeker

Reaction
the bottom line is that if you don't have competators that think they can win, you don't have competators. while mac was a great racer, we had some of the best Pro-4 racing in years last year. this is what makes racing what it is, without close races, the fans and competators go away. CORR knows this and is striving towards closer points battles every year. spec chassis are not the answer, but a design that is attainable without hiring Nye Frank will help build competition. CORR wants guys like me, that can build a truck, with some minor changes, to come out and race. maybe i will fail, and the old school guys will clean house again, but i'm going to try, and in a couple years, i'll be chasing taylor, or mac for most wins. it can and will happen if there are new competators coming in to the series. as soon as guys quit trying the series will die. the reason winston cup is as important a series as it is, is that you never know who will win, 43 cars start and 33 have a legitimate chance of winning. when off road get's to this point, in the dezert or short course, we will develop a fan base like cup has, for now keep dreaming, and trying.

bajaruner11

Reaction
I second that statement ACID_RAIN28. If things keep going in this direction you can forget seeing the sport evolve with new idea's. This is not NASCAR! Let's not treat it like it is.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
My hat is off to you Hoek...you are a machine!

Kris

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I understand your point on try to make it more of a competive deal, but they should then make a sport class and the pro class similar to score and bitd, where you can do anything, and were you can't. In my opinon what they are doing is like telling nasa your shuttle has to be the shape of a sponge, and the current design is too good. And what will happen when somone comes out with an electronic shock, it will make it one mabey two races then cut and so much for that idea. It is like the oil industrys and the new powerplant industrys, I am sure that most people around here know that methonal can be made from trash and such, which we have inabundace, cleaner burning, but do we us it, no becuase where would abdula be with out our us dollars, (no offinse)

I don't know much about the class structure of corr, and for the guys like you trying to make a dent in pack it is good that it is done that way, but from an advance of tech possition it sucks, and puts us in a circle jerk.

hoeker

Reaction
pro-4 is just like your trophy trucks. almost no rules, and the big budgets win. pro-4 is dying because of these rules. some of the best fabricators i have seen do it within the constraints of a rules package. if money is no object, anyone can hire the people to build some kick-a$$ stuff, now do it within the rules, this is what racing is about, on ashphalt or in the dirt.

screw the dent. we're going to make a hole.

this is what drives racing, the belief in, and the ability to WIN!!!!!!!!!!! take that away and we're just driving cars.

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Ross-

I understand that for closed-course, or short-course competition, maybe a "spec" chassis is good for wheel-to-wheel competiton. However, when it comes to desert racing, and advancements in technology, vehicle design and construction, I would NEVER want to see that become a "spec" situation.

I have always looked at desert off-road racing as the most creative frontier in motorsports. It offers competition on many levels (besides the obvious Chevy vs Ford, Fox vs Bilstein, BFG vs Goodyear, etc.). TWO levels in particular:
1.) Race car builders
2.) Drivers

Example: Class 8 in the 80's and 90's.
It was Nelson & Nelson with wheelman Frank Vessels and later, Larry Ragland, against Venable Racing's Russ Wernimont and drivers Robby Gordon and later Rob MacCachren, Dave Shoppe with his Darryl Jaques-built truck, against Walker Evans and his Randy Anderson-built machine. Different approaches for the same desired result...winning! THAT is why I love desert racing.

All of the above mentioned teams, felt they had the best designer/builder/crew chief/prep, and felt they had the best chance at winning.

And the same was applicable when all of these teams ventured into stadium racing.

We are fortunate in desert racing to have the lasting legacy of "build a better mouse trap." Nye Frank still believes in building his cars and trucks low to the ground (and with air shocks!) Mike Smith builds his cars big and heavy, go through anything. In addition to this, Danny Porter has a combination of mid-engine/V-drive that is working well. And if thats not enough, several builders have developed "truggies" that have proven they can run with the Big Red original.

After all of this, I guess my point is this: Desert racers have always "pushed the envelope" and God bless 'em for it! BUT, if you're going to go around-and-around the same course all day, and if there is no corrected-time issue, a "spec" configuration may be the best bet, rather than to disallow a particular competitor for building the better mousetrap.

Ross- I've seen you on the CORR TV coverage, and I have the utmost respect for what you do!

Continue success!

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

hoeker

Reaction
i guess that's yet another major differance between the dezert and short course, and as long as you can keep getting enough teams to race, great. CORR doesn't want 8 trucks in Pro-4, they want 16, and letting the budgets get any higher will not allow this to happen.
there is a really good quality pro-4 for sale right now, i wanted to buy it, i could afford to buy it, but i couldn't afford to race it. apparently many people are in the same boat because it has been for sale for about a year now. millions invested in the truck and you can get it all for 50k, but no one has.

what happened to stadium racing?? it's gone, right? why did it die?

"big red original" -- the land shark?

curt

Reaction
First, I had heard that MAC was running Night Stalker Shocks or something similar like the monster trucks run, no spring required since its all done with air. A neighbor of mine bought some for his Glamis machine and although a little difficult to get, they are for sale and (I believe)competitively priced against a 3 tube bypass of similar length. Doing a change from nightstalker to a bypass should be no harder than any other shock change, just lengths and rates, they just bolt in.

Second, standardized chassis are great except the price. For the small trucks it eliminates the argument of manufacturers limits and allows you to competitively race any brand. The problem is, we could have adapted our current truck or even built a new one for about $15-20K that would have been competitive enough for us to start with. We tabulated the total for a minimum Pro-Lite and came up over $30K if we got licensed to build the chassis ourselves and $35K+ if we had to farm the base chassis out. The bar to entry is way too expensive. The other problem at least for us is with no west coast races its hard to get any of our existing sponsors interested so we'd have to pay the piper alone and there aren't any racing bodies out here that are even considering this type of class to give us more race time...

Curt

VORRA Class 7