• Forum membership has its advantages....

Cost Effective V8 Race Car Class

MARXICO

A speck V8 race car is a very easy concept that already exist using these guidelines keep in mind we are trying to keep this as cost effective as possible so consider the formula

1. Any size V8 combination

2. Pump gas only, anyone using race fuel would have a restrictor plate or run a prescribed ring and pinion ratio to keep the horse power around 600.This would make it so existing motor packages don’t have to change and the average guy could build a completive motor for about $10,000.This would also cut race Fuel cost down 60%.Dump cans only to keep a even playing feild

3. Tire rule 35 inch this makes a more level playing field for those who don’t have massive horsepower or state of the art suspension.

4. Non bead lock rims, Jim Smith and Larry Ragland won races without them. Car owners can have a complete set for what 1 bead lock cost. This also makes it more of a driver’s class because not getting a flat requires more skill than money can buy. This also allows other race cars to enter your class with minimal investment.

5. Open suspension and chassis

6. 9 inch rear end .A automatic transmission and live rear axle is as economical as it gets.

7. Minim weight 4000 lb

8. No truck body’s except for the cab

This is a Truggy and with minimal effort a lot of existing race cars just sit because they cost too much to race and others sit because they are outdated and not completive others stopped racing because of low car count or rule discrepancy collectively this is a large population of potential race cars exist with minor changes and cost to a minim to comply in this loose set of rules .There is controversy about first time trophy truck drivers this would be the perfect playing field for the to complete a certain amount of races before allowing them into the class without the investment of changing classes.. This class would allow slower and less competitive TT teams to develop their skills or just have some fun for a considerable amount less of money. Also it would take the pressure off class 1 to allow a live rear axle. Fact is a large number of Truggys exist but don’t have a dedicated class to enter,this class would grow rapidly by incorporating existing classes like 8, TT, protruck ,trophy light and 1400 .It is always said we don't need more classes but this would allow a lot of dying class a second chance to grow as one.

MARXICO

Pat your only realistic complaint would be if they start behind you. These car already exist and with some retro fitting more inactive race cars will surface .You only look at it from your perspective and don’t consider others don’t see the attraction to owning a class 10 car and have made decision in life that have race cars that are not competing for some of the reasons above. Take a second look and describe what you don’t like about the basic outline and provide some positive input I am sure some of these cars use your parts. Be fair about it and think how it would make racing more cost effective and simple. Don’t you think this would be a good start for a entry level TT driver the class would serve many racers. What do you think all of the truggy owners should do now that SCORE outlawed Truggys? Where do you want them to race? Why don’t you want to see car count grow?

crazyeye

They already have this class its called 6100.

scottm

The various v8 trucks already have heavy metal for a pro class or 1450 for a sportsman class. Do you have a particular layout and look in mind, something like the Herbst truggy? It would take a lot of cage work and body work to make a truck look like a buggy up front, especially with a front radiator.

Josh 8

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
If I was to take the body off my truck and somehow cleaned the looks of it up as Scott has pointed out is a lot of work, it would be what your talking about. But why do that? As it sits it's class legal 8, has swing doors for 1450, and while it not a TT it would fit in the class if I wanted to run it there. Plus it can be plated for the street and it still has all the lights and glass if a windshield was put in for prerunning or hot rodding around with and doing the car show scene. It's the ultimate off road truck.

So why would a guy like me bastardize this truck? It meets all the spec requirements you have listed so just build one like it and open up to the world of possibilities that a "swing door class 8" has.

And best of all there isn't another class in desert racing.

And for those that say it can't be fast enough, it tops out at 130 on pump gas.

Last edited:

MARXICO

A class 7 or 8 truck would be required to remove its fenders to make it an open wheel car like a buggy .There would be no particular body style required so the owners would have no major investment or bastardize there current vehicle. If you run pump gas no changes, if you run race gas you would have to run a restrictor plate or possibly a prescribed ring and pinion ratio. All cars would have to run 35 inch tire combination described above .Tires and rims are expendable parts you replace to race any how so it is not a major investment .Rules are open for discussion to create a level playing field. The concept is to develop a class with a decent car count with minor investment on a level playing field as economically possible. When was the last time class 8 had more than 5 car entered consistently.

The concept of a pump gas v8 with a 9 inch rear end is the cheapest way to race 600 hp with decent suspension and as few rules as possible.It isn’t necessary a new build it is about updating or modifying existing race cars that exist but have a low car count. The rules are to make a level playing field from a class 8 to a trophy truck. I am hoping others will contribute positive input to make this concept happen

Class 8 trucks could also unstrap their suspension for unrestricted wheel travel .Should the owner decide he wanted to stay in the class he could change engine setback and pivot points to improve handling, making his race experience more enjoyable without rule infractions .There are a lot of older race trucks sitting for sale pennies on the dollar because the owners have lost interest for whatever reason .You can buy a good cl8 for $50 grand that has $100 grand of parts and labor as a starting point this makes it cost effective cheaper than starting a Cl 1 or 10 build .Look around there are cheap TT roller packages that are now outdated to race in their class that can be made to run competitively at a economical price, think about it.

Last edited:

Josh 8

Last April there was about ten class 8 at the norra race when the pics above were taken.

The bottom line is do it. Get yourself an old 7 or 8 and make it a truggy and go race in a class of mono that you will still mostly dnf if you trying to prep on a buget. Or if your idea is to finish and win in your class of mono on a budget then you going to be going so slow that jeep speeds will be passing you. Face it. There just isn't an affordable fast class in racing.

As for me, I am not buying it. I am a class 8 man. Fenders are gonna stay.

redline

6100/TTspec was made for this reason. No need to make more new classes that are for the most part identical to one already running. There isnt enough people with truggies that wouldn't rather just put a body on it and race TTspec or TT to justify it. As has been stated before, if you dont want to race one of those classes just race sportsman. As far as i know there is not a rule against truggies in that class. All yours would need to race in TTspec is spec engine and a body. You could run 35s still even if you wanted to.

MARXICO

I already race a truggy at MORE and CODE if a class 10 beats us it beats the whole class i.e. the last Barstow race a 10 overalled it . if anything this would be the fastest you 8 truck ever went because now you could use your maximum wheel travel instead of the restricted 18 inches you have .NORRA is a rally I am talking about a series that races more than 2 times a year with a significant car count and eventually could become a SCORE or BITD class .It is easy to pick this apart word by word and say racing is not economical .if you don’t see how this class cuts cost and revives retired race cars the concept isn’t for you and enjoy what you are already doing As for the comments about put fenders on your truggy and race 6100 ,it would cost half to just race TT and be traffic. The 35 inch tire rule is so a un experienced TT driver would be able to compete with no big advantage to motor or suspension advantages .Unfortunately everyone opinion is based around me it’s not, it is about old TT roller that cost too much to put back together and race competitively ,it’s about class 8 that have a low car count and other racers who want unlimited suspension with moderately priced power plants. Look beyond trying to help me find myself but the opportunity it offer to others in a dead class. The object is to try and build a V8 class with a decent car count

Dirty Harry

I already race a truggy at MORE and CODE if a class 10 beats us it beats the whole class i.e. the last Barstow race a 10 overalled it . if anything this would be the fastest you 8 truck ever went because now you could use your maximum wheel travel instead of the restricted 18 inches you have .NORRA is a rally I am talking about a series that races more than 2 times a year with a significant car count and eventually could become a SCORE or BITD class .It is easy to pick this apart word by word and say racing is not economical .if you don’t see how this class cuts cost and revives retired race cars the concept isn’t for you and enjoy what you are already doing As for the comments about put fenders on your truggy and race 6100 ,it would cost half to just race TT and be traffic. The 35 inch tire rule is so a un experienced TT driver would be able to compete with no big advantage to motor or suspension advantages .Unfortunately everyone opinion is based around me it’s not, it is about old TT roller that cost too much to put back together and race competitively ,it’s about class 8 that have a low car count and other racers who want unlimited suspension with moderately priced power plants. Look beyond trying to help me find myself but the opportunity it offer to others in a dead class. The object is to try and build a V8 class with a decent car count
This was the idea with Ecotech engines in C10. Take a dying class and add an affordable engine and revive the class. And it worked. But then people started to build new, high end, state of the art, expensive 10 cars and all of those guys with old vehicles started to complain because they were not competitive. Why would this class be any different? If someone builds a new truggy for this class with all of the latest and greatest, those guys with old Class 8 trucks and outdated TTs are still going to get beat and they are going to go back into storage. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

MARXICO

The 35 inch tires balance out the class, horsepower is only effective if you control wheel spin without traction you don’t go anywhere and sometimes can be a detriment. This theory is proven in circle track for spec classes. A weight minim is required to keep a safe standard and average of existing classes that are converting a truck with frame rails to be competitive with tube chassis. The gas rule is to keep horsepower realistic, the R& P would allow a TT team to use their current motor program without modification and only a minim investment to remain on a level playing field, this would also be true with using a restrictor plate concept that is already accepted in this sport .As far a s suspension this class lifts current restrictions on Cl 7&8 allowing more performance already there. The tire rule also makes a more even playing field as the TTs have to retune for a smaller tire. Most Cl 8 have I beam suspension that offer massive wheel travel and now can use the maximum wheel travel .if a 8 truck want to move the engine or pivot point s that would be ok ,a good example is Juan Carlos Lopez aka PIN his CL 8 races in the CODE series and if he has no problems he is dominant with this suspension concept.. Using dump cans also makes for a more level playing field, the entire concept is to make all classes combined the same opportunity and competitive at the same level , if you want a fuel tower then there are premier classes that ever one has one .

Dirty Harry

But you are operating under the assumption that back marker TT drivers want to race in a different class. But if that is the case why aren't they already racing in 6100 or another class?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

scottm

A truck with the fenders off looks like chit. At least when you roll you have an excuse..

Bro_Gill

Man, I was never aware that sanctioning bodies made sure rules kept old outdated race cars competitive after 3 years in all those other types of racing and teams never had to update or build new to stay competitive. What have we been thinking all these years?

Bdub 1020

Hey Bro. Have you ever owned and raced your own off road racecar. Or do you just help others. Seriously

Rocket 450

The funniest about this thread and the other two is that the answer is not a V-8 and it is not a transaxle. The flipping answer is staring everyone in the face. Just noboby has the balls to do it(including myself).....If you truly want a low dollar truggy build.... And for the record Im perfectly happy sinking money into my little 1600 car one hoping to get it done. Cause the rules are layed out I know what Im up against and I know 1600 is always there. Not cheap but always there!!!!!

nimrod

KOOK!
I don't understand why these guys with smaller budgets don't race Utv's. You can race AMA district 39 in a basically totally stock UTV and have a blast. Shoot man they'll even try to have volunteers help you with pits if you've got no friends.