• Forum membership has its advantages....

Cost of Race Photo's

MTPyle

Just trying to understand how this game works. I am new to this and its pretty confusing from the outside. So far we have reached out to a few photographers that had some good shots of us and negotiated what I thought a fair price and I paid for them. Seemed to work well for both of us.

But for Baja 1000 it seems all the photos went to one guy that told me he wanted a lot for them. He had some good shots for sure but just didn't seem like that was a fair price. Maybe I am just too cheap? I didn't want to spend that much so I figured I would just go buy my favorite image off his site in print for $30. I went back to do just that and he took all my photos down. I don't think he liked me saying I wasn't going to pay the asking price. He said thats the cost of a wheel and tire that I could leave out in the desert. In other words I waste a bunch of money racing a TT spec so whats a little more... Maybe thats so but I just didn't want to pay that much for photos just to add to my library. We are not a big high Dollar team so every dollar matters and we are not using them for any promotion. Its just me and my boys racing.

What has been your experience with the cost of photos? How much are pre buy packages and how much for after the race just buying from the photographer?

Whats fair for some photos from Baja 100? in the states I can get a helicopter to follow me for $600 but maybe thats not a fair comparison?

What should my plan be for the BITD season? I don't want to feel like I am being worked over after the race.

BTW- I have big respect for these guys, they go thru hell to get some great shots. Not trying to de value what they do. Everything has its value to the guy paying for the product, its worth what someone will pay regardless of how hard you worked to create the product.

I just don't get that if I am on a expensive yacht should I pay more for the music I am listening to then the guy in the cheap ass boat with a boom box. Just because it cost me more to be there? thats the message I got from this guy. But again maybe I am being a cheap a$$ biatch LOL.

Mike

mgobaja

Some things to consider in Baja - to cover an event they use multiple photographers due to logistics. Fuel / Lodging / Insurance and yes even salary all factor into the price they are giving you. If you arrange to have them shoot your team prior to the event and varying levels of coverage you know what the price will be and what you will get before you start the race. If you only get to mile one, you still have to pay, because they still incurred the expenses.

Like pit services, I belong to the CHECKERS, our members pay a pit fee for services , and that fee is based on what the logistics dictate to properly cover that event. But they know ahead of time what that fee will be and what services they have available for their use.

BCG1

Did you find better shots from someone else at a cheaper price? If not, then good work is worth the asking price. If you did find better for less, buy them and move on.

mgobaja

Did you find better shots from someone else at a cheaper price? If not, then good work is worth the asking price. If you did find better for less, buy them and move on.
Wait a minute, you mean to say you get what you pay for ?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Just trying to understand how this game works. I am new to this and its pretty confusing from the outside. So far we have reached out to a few photographers that had some good shots of us and negotiated what I thought a fair price and I paid for them. Seemed to work well for both of us.

But for Baja 1000 it seems all the photos went to one guy that told me he wanted a lot for them. He had some good shots for sure but just didn't seem like that was a fair price. Maybe I am just too cheap? I didn't want to spend that much so I figured I would just go buy my favorite image off his site in print for $30. I went back to do just that and he took all my photos down. I don't think he liked me saying I wasn't going to pay the asking price. He said thats the cost of a wheel and tire that I could leave out in the desert. In other words I waste a bunch of money racing a TT spec so whats a little more... Maybe thats so but I just didn't want to pay that much for photos just to add to my library. We are not a big high Dollar team so every dollar matters and we are not using them for any promotion. Its just me and my boys racing.

What has been your experience with the cost of photos? How much are pre buy packages and how much for after the race just buying from the photographer?

Whats fair for some photos from Baja 100? in the states I can get a helicopter to follow me for $600 but maybe thats not a fair comparison?

What should my plan be for the BITD season? I don't want to feel like I am being worked over after the race.

BTW- I have big respect for these guys, they go thru hell to get some great shots. Not trying to de value what they do. Everything has its value to the guy paying for the product, its worth what someone will pay regardless of how hard you worked to create the product.

I just don't get that if I am on a expensive yacht should I pay more for the music I am listening to then the guy in the cheap ass boat with a boom box. Just because it cost me more to be there? thats the message I got from this guy. But again maybe I am being a cheap a$$ biatch LOL.

Mike
I’m willing to bet you misinterpreted his reference. How much were you haggling over? If it was similar to the price of a wheel and tire you just throw away when flat in the desert that’s a perfect comparison.

Baja can’t be compared to stateside races for photography. Every Tom dick and hairy shoots state stuff. Only the real deal guys shoot Baja and expenses are significantly higher in baja. They prerun just like a racer and require just as much lodging, food, insurance, etc...as a racer.

The best racing is in Baja and if the pictures were bitchen, you shoulda bought them.

Haggling with artists is an easy way to offend them. My ol lady is an artist so i know it all too well.

You can always hire a photog for the race too and they’ll shoot you they the whole race in multiple locations. That’s not cheap though.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
So you get to drive a TT SPEC for FUN and you're haggling a guy shooting photos trying to make a living and feed his family because you don't think you should pay the price they he says they are worth? Being that he took the time away from his family, his other job (possibly), paid for his own hotel room, prep his vehicle and camera equipment, food and gas for the week to shoot the race with the hope of selling some pictures just to re-coup his losses... AND YOU"RE HAGGLING FOR THEM.

Wow.

Junior

Yes, you are being a cheap a33 biatch. Better hope you didn't get blacklisted!

Wendell #527

I have never haggled for pics. I couldn’t hire a photog for what they charge. I also do not haggle with the Cheeklet sales kids.

M_Solms

How much would you charge the photographer to go to Baja and take their picture while they moved around covering the race? Probably way more than they wanted for the picture of you.

Anger Issues

Hey MTpyle... if you have been on here (RDC) a while, you know half of the jack-arse answers come from people who having nothing nice to say, and the other half either have an unlimited budget or have never raced anything in their life except a keyboard. As a budget-minded racer I hear ya. My two cents is:
  • After the race, especially the 1000, getting photos to purchase can be outright frustrating. You see what seems like hundreds of photags out there but many get home from the race and apparently are not interested in even trying to upload. After the 2017 B1000 we tried for weeks to find good photos and eventually gave up. Daniel Curiel has been good to by from in Baja, btw.
  • You CAN negotiate for prices (and sleep fine at night). I have had the best luck purchasing "full rights" for photos, rather than ordering prints. In the case of my avatar (<<<<-----) I purchased the entire disk from Mike's Race Photos and it was a win-win. He got his money and I got great photos.
  • Lastly, I don't care what class you race, people always pull this crap about "if you can't afford it, you shouldn't be racing". When watching one's budget, whether it be 15k or 150k, you have to choose where to spend those duckets. We do like to support the photo folks when possible, but have also walked away if just too darn expensive.
Good luck and ignore the idiots.

kwl

Wendell #527

Anger issues you are clueless, don’t act like Mr know-it-all about who is on here. I have raced for more years than most of the guys in here have been alive. I am NOT rich but I’m also not a donkey like you bitching about everything. You people bitch bitch bitch, that’s all you do. If you don’t like something then don’t buy it. Don’t bitch and whine about it. It’s called free enterprise. Whining about photog prices shows us you are the idiot, not us.

Last edited:

Anger Issues

Someone has issues ^^. Like anything in life, you can discuss a fair price. Or maybe YOU just take the first bid that comes along in any job. I was simply making a constructive response to the Original Post, not attacking anyone. I guess you feel differently, and again, I will sleep just fine. You know what they say about opinions! :eek:)

Zambo

Once again people, the fair price for ANYTHING is what someone is willing to pay. Not what it cost the seller to produce the product. If the photos are too expensive don't buy them. If nobody is buying your photos, lower the price or find another line of work. Economics 101. Only once in the years I've been racing have I found a set of photographs that were worth the money.... to me. So I bought them. Every other time, they have been way too much money...so I didn't buy them. This is how it works.

MTPyle

LOL great responses. My take away is that i am being a cheap a$$. Which is a perfectly fine answer. that’s why I asked.

I guess I was just surprised by the price he asked based on what I had paid before. I also didn’t like the come back about how much I spent to be there so I should be fine paying more. It’s like pulling up at McDonald’s drive thru and they charge you based on the car you are in. For me it should be the opposite, I already spent all my money on the truck. The guy in the class 5 might have money left. LOL

I don’t see a problem negotiating. I sell stuff to billionaires and they always beat me up.

Again I respect what they do, and the more I think
About it the problem is that I want what he has but am struggling with the cost.

I love forums. Hehe.

Thanks.
Mike

MTPyle

Anger issues

Thanks for the post. Good stuff. I do think some guys take advantage of the racers.

And I get the different perspectives on the Forum. Personally that’s what I like. Sometimes the negative jack can make me think about something. I personally do not care what people think about me. I just want to learn as much as possible and am not afraid to admit I don’t know things.

There is a lot on knowledge on this forum. You just need to be good at reading the tea leaves.

Mike

Kartman

Media Goon
A part time scrub shooting Laughlin has much lower costs and you will get much lower quality than a top notch crew that does full time photography shooting the 1000. Its like trying to compare flip flops to Liverwurst.

kras

I'm seeing the word "blacklisted" being thrown around here.

Problem solved, no pictures for you!