After market full skid plate

Window nets

Proper rear lighting

Racing seats

Fire suit

Helmet

Fuel cell

I am estimating about 20K, am I off?

Are you doing the work yourself???? There is a lot of little stuff that will nickle and dime you to death!! you can tack on about another $5000 pretty easily.

JoeyD23

Reaction
your close.....but dont leave out Wheels and Tires. Not many stick with the standard RZRS Long Travel Either.........

But you could probably dial a car in for close to $20K, but from there you will only spend more, but you know that! LOL

jgbjgb

Reaction
Are you doing the work yourself???? There is a lot of little stuff that will nickle and dime you to death!! you can tack on about another $5000 pretty easily.

Some yes, most not.

Follow up question.

Where would "stock" tube chassis "side by sides" fit in?

Ridge Runner
RedLine Riot
Marshall MotoArt

JoeyD23

Reaction

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
It also depends what kind of racing you are plannng on doing. The shorter, day time, non-pre run races don't require as much equipment...such as GPS, HID lights, etc. Some of the 'local' races you could even get away with a moto helmet (though I don't recommend it) and no intercom.

The RZR S comes with Maxxis Big Horns which seem to be the tire of choice for most desert racers. The wheels are strong, but are not beadlocks...so you could get away with the stockers for a while. Most guys either 'Slime' their tires or run tire balls.

The stock 'S' suspension is good, but I would recommend plating the bottom A-arms. The FOX shocks are also pretty good, but for racing the 2" Walker Evans Racing shocks are more fade resistant. But if you want to run with the big boys in the big races like BITD, you are going to have to spend more $$$ on wheels, suspension, electronic stuff, hot rod engine components, etc.

A RZR is a great platform to start from. Light and fast...stock. Some of the older used race ready rigs (single cylinder brand Y) are not competitive at all.

Good luck and have fun!! :)

dnf736

Reaction
How much to build a new BITD spec car? 30k minium doing as much as you can yourself by the time its over, unless you can trade work or can find a sponsor laying around....

Engines going to be 5k alone.
Suspension & axles, another 5K.
Stock RZR 10K

Seats, restraints, tires, wheels, hubs(RZR) diff work(RZR) tube work, tin, nuts & bolts.
Then you need safety gear, fire suit, helmet, pumper, fuel cell, & such.
Probably want a radio and lights.
Gotta have spares.

Not trying to scare you off, just saying.

If you can race at Whiplash I think they have a class for the RZRS that really all you need are doors, nets, fuel cell & extinguisher.

Nick_A

Reaction
Jim from Bi-polar racing has a pretty simple setup and is consistently doing well with the prowler 1000.

07FJRog

Reaction
RZR-S 14,000

Roll cage tied to frame

After market full skid plate

Window nets

Proper rear lighting

Racing seats

Fire suit

Helmet

Fuel cell

20K after purchase of machine can be done, depending on your skill set.

depends on the type of racing you want to do, IMO

many things may be the same but not all between dezert and short course.

suspension and chassis/cage is costly, like stated more items are need for dezert than short course. Fire stuff, GPS, lighting ( front lights, & rear red, yellow and Blue), spare tires/wheels, jack, radios, Intercome, etc... similar to any other racer.

high HP not necessarily one of them though, the RZR-S has enough to keep going strong.

I would go with FOX RC2's or walkers, the stock foxes on the rzr won't hold, like stated earlier. all Rzr's need frame strenghtening help, some companies sell beef up kits and is a great start to improving the weak points on a RZR.

Rog

dbedy

Reaction
I am a budget utv racer and did it all for under $18,000. I did do the cage work myself and run Bilstien shocks with an HCR LT kit. Like people were saying in the earlier posts though I run one day MDR type events that don't require all the super high dollar hardware. My most expensive item to keep up with is tires so I just keep an eye on craigslist for people selling stock wheels and tires. I have yet to break an aluminum wheel but have bent some stock steel wheels beyond repair. I will be running my 4th race november 7th in barstow. If you get to work now you can make it too!
By the way you can still run a bolt on cage at MDR and Baja Cup races provided it has the proper gusseting.

450grl

Reaction
You might get more detailed/specific answers if you let us know what series you plan on racing in - then we can pinpoint exactly what you will need to be competitive, and at what level...... :)

Big Guy

Reaction
I am a budget utv racer and did it all for under $18,000. I did do the cage work myself and run Bilstien shocks with an HCR LT kit. Like people were saying in the earlier posts though I run one day MDR type events that don't require all the super high dollar hardware. My most expensive item to keep up with is tires so I just keep an eye on craigslist for people selling stock wheels and tires. I have yet to break an aluminum wheel but have bent some stock steel wheels beyond repair. I will be running my 4th race november 7th in barstow. If you get to work now you can make it too!
By the way you can still run a bolt on cage at MDR and Baja Cup races provided it has the proper gusseting.

How much is the entry fee for MDR races?? How many races a year are there for UTVs??

dbedy

Reaction
MDR Races are $225 to enter the sportsman classes. They run seven races a year in two separate series. I try and race 4 a year plus a few baja cup races. I can say out of all the different things I have raced over the years doing desert races is the BEST!

jgbjgb

Reaction
You might get more detailed/specific answers if you let us know what series you plan on racing in - then we can pinpoint exactly what you will need to be competitive, and at what level...... :)

Since I am up in UT, and BORE just got bought out and is now BOR Racing, and they are starting up anew, I was thinking about running in their UTV Class. They said they were going to follow BITD rules, but looking at the pics of their first race this past Sep, they seem to be lax on some things.

http://www.borracing.org/

So, I have been toying with the idea of buying a RZR-S, having a good roll cage built, tied to the frame, doing some frame strengthening, good skid plate, and go from there.

My other option is buying a RedLine Riot.

750 Weber, 16-18" travel, rear swing arms versus A-arms, 5 point harness stock. Not sure though if the tube chassis RedLine would be considered "stock".

I already own a Ridge Runner but do not want to race that, I use that for Moab rock crawling.

450grl

Reaction
I would say DEF go with the RZR-S - in a "grassroots" type of organization, you should only need the minimal safety gear, etc - at least to start out with. The RZR-S will be way more verstatile than the Riot - plus, if you already have a Ridge-Runner, the RZR-S will be something different and fun and very versatile.

RZR-S 14,000

Roll cage tied to frame - $800-$1200

After market full skid plate - (uh, not sure - always made my own)

Window nets - $40 -ish each (Summit! woot!)

Proper rear lighting - You can do this anywhere between $30 and $500 - bulb or led? Lightbar or frame mounted? I always go cheap cheap cheap on the lights - lol!

Racing seats - $250 and up each new (starting from $75 each used, usually)

Fire suit - $85 - $3000 - depending on what you want to spend!

Helmet - $180 - $500 full face (new) - again depending on what you want to spend

Fuel cell - $350 and up - depending on how big and what brand - I always used JAZ

If you just go with what you have listed, you aren't far off...but might want to add a few things, too.....

A-arm mounting point gussetts - will help keep your arms from ripping out of the frame
Fuel level sending unit/gauge - to see how much gas you have - NICE to know! :)
Neck restraint of some kind - from a neck roll to a Hans device - prices will vary considerably.....
5-point harnesses - VERY IMPORTANT!! Good ones will run you about $120 each...

That's all I can think of for the basics....stock (or almost stock) is a lot of fun - usually pretty low maintenance and spare parts won't break the bank.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
My only question is WHY? For the cost of a UTV race ready vehicle you could have a real race car. $30+K for a short wheelbase vehicle that isn't likely to finish a long race is just insane. You can pick up a good 1600 car for half that and can get into lot's of other classes for about that much or a whole lot less.

Sorry just don't get the UTV class for the money. Unless you are running short course races like Corry that pay.

ColoradoZQ8

Reaction
My only question is WHY? For the cost of a UTV race ready vehicle you could have a real race car. $30+K for a short wheelbase vehicle that isn't likely to finish a long race is just insane. You can pick up a good 1600 car for half that and can get into lot's of other classes for about that much or a whole lot less.

Sorry just don't get the UTV class for the money. Unless you are running short course races like Corry that pay.

I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I thought the whole idea was an inexpensive racing class, but the prices they're talking about are nuts.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
1600 is WAY more expensive. I have spent the last few year looking at it and a NEW, state of the art 1600 is going to cost around $45k...maybe more like $60k...ask Paul Kurz. UTV's are fun...modern technology and you can kind of pay as you go. Haters...stay off of the UTV site!!!! :)