Cost to make stock UTV race ready

ColoradoZQ8

Reaction
1600 is WAY more expensive. I have spent the last few year looking at it and a NEW, state of the art 1600 is going to cost around $45k...maybe more like $60k...ask Paul Kurz. UTV's are fun...modern technology and you can kind of pay as you go. Haters...stay off of the UTV site!!!! :)

well if thats sorta aimed at me, don't get me wrong i like UTVs and may even pick one up when finances/space allow. I just never guessed that it would be that expensive.

Plus it seems that they're merging ATVs & UTVs

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
well if thats sorta aimed at me, don't get me wrong i like UTVs and may even pick one up when finances/space allow. I just never guessed that it would be that expensive.

Plus it seems that they're merging ATVs & UTVs

Sorry amigo...didn't mean any disrespect. Just that UTV's have come a long way from being true 'utility vehicles' to being pretty fast race rigs. 1600 is a very OLD class with OLD technology...aka torsion bars, carbs, air cooling...etc. Yes they haul the mail, but they have had something like 20 years (30,40?) to figure it out. UTV's are new and that is part of the fun.

They are getting faster...the top 1600 (Class 2000) finisher at the last BITD SS300 averaged just over 44 mph...the top UTV was just shy of 40 mph. This is still a ways off but getting closer...three years ago it was 10 mph.

:D:):)

Nick_A

Reaction
The nice thing about the UTV for me is that I can take it to Colorado and play around in the mountains, then use it to hunt, run fence, check irrigation towers etc...

If it were built to SCORE or BITD specs then yes it would loose some of its utilitarian value.

jfracerzr

Reaction
The nice thing about the UTV for me is that I can take it to Colorado and play around in the mountains, then use it to hunt, run fence, check irrigation towers etc...

If it were built to SCORE or BITD specs then yes it would loose some of its utilitarian value.

yeah that is the cool things about the utvs!
you can race them one weekend and the next you can go out and play in desert with all your friends. The 1600 cars are pretty fast but in the rough whoops those guys just take a beating.... Some of the utvs out in desert racing look like they handle alot better and the class is getting faster and faster each race. They are also getting more reliable! I believe 3 or possibly 4 of them finished Vegas to Reno this year

450grl

Reaction
Plus.....don't forget they make great DUNERS! :)

dnf736

Reaction
Since I am up in UT, and BORE just got bought out and is now BOR Racing, and they are starting up anew, I was thinking about running in their UTV Class. They said they were going to follow BITD rules, but looking at the pics of their first race this past Sep, they seem to be lax on some things.

http://www.borracing.org/

So, I have been toying with the idea of buying a RZR-S, having a good roll cage built, tied to the frame, doing some frame strengthening, good skid plate, and go from there.

This should be your rule book then. It would ease the $$$$ of racing and bring things to a more realistic/affordable level for the guys that just want to go out for fun. My .02

http://www.whiplashracing.com/Rulebooks/utvrules.pdf

07FJRog

Reaction
1600 is WAY more expensive. I have spent the last few year looking at it and a NEW, state of the art 1600 is going to cost around $45k...maybe more like $60k...ask Paul Kurz. UTV's are fun...modern technology and you can kind of pay as you go. Haters...stay off of the UTV site!!!! :)

LOL

Plus.....don't forget they make great DUNERS! :)

oh Yes they do, especially with the power Corry and I run.

dezert or short course, either can be somewhat expensive to enter. not all short course races pay back to many places. LOORRS is only top three :eek::mad:
M4sx was alot more :).

costs seem expensive to some but do not forget, just because there may be less tubing, it still has to meet specs and be safe in design and engineering,

This goes for the suspension also, not all Kits are that great, there are only a handful out there that work well. Corry and Doug would agree with this.

UTV haters just wait until the Weller Racing designed SR1 Rhino class sets faster times than the Pro trucks do next year! :eek: lol

jgbjgb, if you want some numbers on stuff like suspension for the RZR, let me know.

Rog

07FJRog

Reaction

ocotilo

Reaction
shouldnt be worrying about the money if you want to race, **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**z not cheap if you wanna win
$=speed