Costs shared by owner and others to operate

burninfuel

Reaction
The question is how do you balance costs with your group and others interested in racing with you?????
Class nine newer car, $9000
New helmet with intercom/radio and pump'd air, $500
driving suit, safety equipment. , $200
Need to share expences with others, so out of pocket isn't the owners.
More helmets, suits, entry fee's, food, RV's to get on site to race.
Someone wants to co-drive in your class 9, what do you charge for seat time???
Am I getting anybody's attention.??? How do you do it??????
Car prep was $1000 after fallon race???

doug969

Reaction
The question is how do you balance costs with your group and others interested in racing with you?????
Class nine newer car, $9000
New helmet with intercom/radio and pump'd air, $500
driving suit, safety equipment. , $200
Need to share expences with others, so out of pocket isn't the owners.
More helmets, suits, entry fee's, food, RV's to get on site to race.
Someone wants to co-drive in your class 9, what do you charge for seat time???
Am I getting anybody's attention.??? How do you do it??????
Car prep was $1000 after fallon race???

Im sure you will get a ton of answers and most will not be the same. What I did with my 9 is if someone wanted to ride they would either pay for 1/2 entry or help with the prep from start to finish plus help get the car to and from the race and help at the race. Most people will say if they help prep they will let them ride for free. If they paid for 1/2 entry then I didnt expect them to help with prep but at the race it is a team thing and help with everything that goes on. If there was a guy that would show up to pit every race and helped out I would ask if they wanted a ride to help show that you love the support they give. All the safety gear was their own and I did not pay for unless I had extra or a set that could be borrowed. If someone wanted to drive I would ask to help with all prep/work and split all fee's (gas,entry) down the middle plus help prep after the race and all parts for prep were bought by car owner. If the car is split from purchase then all $$$ is split and equal work unless you agree on one or the other paying more. It's real simple for me on if someone just wants to WD40 the chassis and help clean they can ride all they want for free. Not sure if this helps or makes no sense but there it is....

Motoren

Reaction
I split the cost with my brother and we try to switch seats at half way. Typically we split all costs down the middle but every so often one of us will pay for a whole part. If you did something stupid to break it you man up and pay for it type deal. The key here is honesty and trust, I trust him so I don’t always need to ride with him. Racing with a friend is one of the best ways of destroying a good relationship. If you split time with a friend just try to be in the car with each other as much as possible. Safety gear is on each person because some people like the in vogue suits/helmets. My crew shows up because they just love to go racing, free beer helps too.

DeanB

Reaction
I raced Class 9 for 4 years and had 3 different partners over that time period. With each partner I had the same arrangement:

1. I was 100% car owner.
2. Commitment was only 1 race at time.
3. Commitment started with car race-ready and was not over until car was race-ready again.
4. 50/50 on everything to do with maintenance, entry fee, gas to haul the race car, and race gas.
5. I paid 100% for any upgrades to the car above standard maintenance cost.
6. Driving was split 50/50.
7. All passenger seats were sold for $150 for half the race and passengers would swap at the drivers' swap.
8. Passenger seat must be paid for no matter who rides. No freebies unless both partners are willing to absorb the cost.
9. Passenger only pays if he gets in the car.
10. Partner pays even if he doesn't get in the car, but he has the option to start the next race.
11. In the event of a wreck, the driver is 100% responsible for all abnormal damage.
12. Partner had to do at least 50% of the prep. in exchange for not owning the car. (This part is flexible, but he needs to help as much as he can.)
13. Everyone covers their own expenses to the race and at the race.
14. All receipts must be kept and after the race car is race-ready, we meet together to settle up.

The hardest part is finding a partner that you can trust. If they wad it up, will they make sure that it gets fixed? If you can't afford to roll it, then you should not be driving it.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Though I don't own a 9 car I will share what we do. My brother and I own our 12 car together and are 50/50 partners on everything. All funding come from side jobs, sponsors, etc that WE do together. We have a joint account just for racing. It was the same arrangement with our old single seater. We split the driving as close to 50/50 as possible. He usually starts and I usually finish. He has yet to break the car so I'm not worried about starting....plus I would prefer to finish. We never have to keep track of who is doing the majority of the work/prep as long as it gets done. We have unspoken agreeements about who does what on the car (including our co-drivers) so it just happens.

As for co-drivers and crew. We cover ALL race-related expenses (entry fee, fuel, trackers, etc.). They are responsible for all of their own safety gear and getting themselves to the race, etc. Our two co-dogs are ALWAYS there when we work on the car because they want to so they that's how they earn their keep. We always have at least 1 motorhome at the races. If room permits they can ride/sleep with one of us to save on their costs. We were going anyways. We usually bring enough food for our crew for dinners and enough beer for all of them as well. The small payment we can make for them helping us. As an added bonus we are adding a race to our schedule so that our crew, sponsors can get some co-dog time. Everyone has a different deal.

FYI - Our very helpful co-drivers are Bob Driscoll (BobbyD) and Marty Seefried (Shazaam)

burninfuel

Reaction
Thanks for all the input, all were on line to what we think is fair and reasonable.