Could this be the downfall of SCORE?

mawtrophykart

Reaction
With the recent low turnout at the 500, poo economy,violence in mx, now the penalties. How many racers are going to race Score when BITD is growing more and more?

LIL ROG

Reaction
I think there will be a lot of people that WILL race score now that didnt before because the rules are being enforced now.

MALABANAN

Reaction
Back in the 80's and 90's you couldn't wait to dice it out on the highway, on coming traffic and everything, that was exciting racing. You knew there was a race and to WATCH OUT and move over. Let the POLICIA do there job, that was there X MAS $$$$$!

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
With the recent low turnout at the 500, poo economy,violence in mx, now the penalties. How many racers are going to race Score when BITD is growing more and more?
I actually think that some of these penalties are way over done but switching from Baja racing to a no pre-run rules galore one line "race" is not happening for me. I am a SCORE racer even if I don't like all of what just happened. My family has been at the 1000 since 1970 and we will be there in 2009, this is our heritage.

For the record if you want to race with great people in the US and be allowed to have some fun SNORE is the place to go. The Mint is clearly the best race in the US for many reasons, the first being they have 2 hours of TV.

Lt. Dan 1608

Reaction
I am not an expert on Mexico and have never raced there myself. But it sure seems like Baja will always attract drivers. I mean I have been to the 500 and the 1000, and everyone I ask about what it is like to race down here, almost every single answer was positive.

I think the smoke will clear eventually. Some people can't believe the severity of all the penalties, but in reality, it is in Sal's own rulebook that intentional course "deviation" is an DQ not a time penalty. So, it could have been worse. Even still, I think the point has been made and racing will go on. Will Score's numbers drop, maybe for a little while but I think they will recover.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
AMEN Brother,,,,,,,, SNORE ROCKS:D

randy s

Reaction
i only partially agree with you pappy. i think it was a tad much and bummed out alot of guys. it might take awhile for everyone to miss score racing down south. these penalties were excessive in alot of cases and with all the hard work and logistics teams put in, this is a hard pill to swallow for them.

randy s

Reaction
remember a couple of years back when score got fed up with how racers were numbering their cars? they made it damn clear that the numbers would be the right sizes in the right places or you would'nt race. the message was loud and clear and racers took note. this time, in my opinion, it was more of an ambush for the most part. these warnings weren't offered up with the same degree of seriousness i don't think. time will tell i suppose. one thing seems certain for the future though. folks will pay more attention to detail.

revroy

Reaction
Why would anyone see SCORE enforcing their rules as a negative? Never could understand how anyone could blatantly cheat and stand up on the podium to accept their award when they didn't run the same race course as the others. This is the best thing Sal has ever done. It's unfortunate that it went on for so many years like it did, but better late than never.

Last edited:

Chase 2

Reaction
I don't think this is the end at all. Remember, Casey Folks can be just as bad as Sal Fish. I remember in years past his son helped lay out one of these no pre-run V2R races and then turned around and "won" his class.

Racing without chasing sux. Only being able to go in after the race course closes to haul the carcass out just doesn't make it in my book. Sure, you can enter a "Mule" but now you've gotten even more expensive than just chasing. Stage racing is for puzzys too, real offroad endurance racers race straight through, all night to the finish.

B-Dub 1020

Reaction
This needed to happen for a long time. Whether you are well funded or not the rules should be the same for everyone. Stay on the marked course, don't speed in resticted area's and follow the rules.Like PAB said SNORE rocks, good ol fashion off-road racing. The rougher the better and not bladed roads roads with a few rough spots.If people switch over to bitd its because they don't think Casey will have the balls to penalize them or piss them off. Try SNORE and when you figure out the tracks are tougher the entry fee is $530 TOTAL for pro (except the Mint) and the pay back is larger (with atleast 10 in your class) and the whole organization revolves around family and race teams NON/PROFIT you will race with them. The competition is amazing . But baja is baja (one of a kind) cannot be duplicated and I feel more lower budgeted teams will race there if they know the playing field is equal.

jerseydevil

Reaction
We decided to race only BITD this year, I was a spectator at the 500 and realized I made a mistake in not racing Mexico this year. You can race 3 Primm 250's, a Mesquite Race, 2 Parkers and a Vegas to Reno, but it still doesn't add up to the thrill of prerunning and racing a Baja 500!!!! Viva MEXICO
I also think its great Sal enforced simple basic rules like "don't pit in the middle of the race course", "don't exceed the speed limit in certain areas" doesn't anybody remember the Mexican Cops pulling over race vehicles for speeding a few years ago, That was a lot bigger pain in the ass then doing 60mph for a bit. Mexico is the best racing in the world and even the girls in "Paris" have a few basic rules

ProfessionalPitMan

Reaction
Quite the contrary for me. I can't wait to race in mexico and know that I will be on a level playing field with the locals that race in my class.
Not sure I would consider your car a level playing field!!! LOL...

PAB, SNORE is still not open desert like Baja. I would much rather see you battle Andy every race like you did at the Mint anywhere than not see any racing at all. BITD has a lot of fun. And even though nothing is like Mexico, I don't go down there anymore. I don't hate the penalties, just think they were a little harsh.

mexgamer

Reaction
A Lot. Many racers see the enforcement of the rules a positive, not a negative.
yeah, it is negative to those who cheated, but most honest people are happy with it and now everybody has a chance of winning, before you knew that only top teams could win with all their money and cheats.

I think there will be a lot of people that WILL race score now that didnt before because the rules are being enforced now.
yeah i agree

Why would anyone see SCORE enforcing their rules as a negative? Never could understand how anyone could blatantly cheat and stand up on the podium to accept their award when they didn't run the same race course as the others. This is the best thing Sal has ever done. It's unfortunate that it went on for so many years like it did, but better late than never.
I don't think this is the end at all. Remember, Casey Folks can be just as bad as Sal Fish. I remember in years past his son helped lay out one of these no pre-run V2R races and then turned around and "won" his class.

Racing without chasing sux. Only being able to go in after the race course closes to haul the carcass out just doesn't make it in my book. Sure, you can enter a "Mule" but now you've gotten even more expensive than just chasing. Stage racing is for puzzys too, real offroad endurance racers race straight through, all night to the finish.
hahhaa yeah

remember how the baja 1000 started it wasnt score.... just some guys that started in Tijuanan at the telegram office and went all the way down to la paz to the telegram office there, the first telegram WINS there were no roads, so speeding was not on the list, there were no pits either.

Rules are needed; can you imagine a world without rules or laws? it would be a mess. Well done Sal.