• Forum membership has its advantages....

Couple questions while getting ready for the NORRA race in April...

bin04

Looks like i am signed up for the Mexican 1k in April. Yay, i think, but i am coming up with a few things i should have thought of before now.

Spare tire: Whats the consensus on carrying a spare tire on the buggy? I haven't seen a lot of 9 cars with spare mounts, but should i bust out the welder and make one?

Wheels: Where can i get some? Who carries them?

Bro_Gill

4 or 5 lug? Also, the Mexican 1000 is different than most races 9 cars do as it is point to point, so there won't be multiple pits around the loop you are running. There may not be any pits along the way depending on your chase crews and money available. If that is the case, carry a spare.

bin04

5 lug.

Ok, thats kinda what i am thinking too. I am kinda thin on chase crews. I'll dig up some tubing and see what i can do. Anyone have any pics?

Thanks!

:)

MARXICO

Make your spare tire mount with the spline end of an Axel then mount a spare drum to that, mount your spare tire (use a front for lighter weight) to the drum .It will be easier to locate a new drum now than in Mexico during the race .Hose clamp spare front arms to the Chassis. mount your spare at the rear of your engine cage it makes a good rear bumper if you get nurfed and puts all the weight to the rear of the car Good luck and have fun

Last edited:

y2kbaja

Carry everything you can think of ON the car. Max Trax (or similar), tow straps, t-shirts (to give to the locals that pull you out). There are some serious remote sections on this course. And with a 9 car don't plan on being at the stop overs for the "parties". You'll be the last car there. We did Norra in a swing axle single seater in 2015. No real big issues but we were late every night.

Attachments

bin04

Advice taken, max trax ordered, and plans revised to exclude 'dinner.' Dug up a bad axle, and will be making a spare mount on the back as per Marxico. :)

What about wheels? Who carries the right ones?

Shred918

Custom and Commercial wheels.You should be able to get them from McKenzies and Kartek.

y2kbaja

What class are you running? Pioneer or Class 9?
 Pioneer Buggy class o VW Type 1 engines only (any displacement) o VW Swing axle transaxles only o Stock VW front / rear suspension o 100” max wheelbase o 33” max tire diameter o 2” max shock diameter, no coilovers, no bypasses

bin04

yeaaah, i signed up for 9, but we'll see. I am betting i end up in Pioneer, at the end of the day. It doesn't look like there is going to be much/any class 9 action.

Chris_Wilson

There is a big difference in entry fees.

LantanaTX

We have similar buggy except we have IRS and therefore we race Legend Buggy. We don't carry maxtrax. It that those things to get you unstuck? We have never been stuck. These little buggies just seem to cruise right through silt and sand. Just don't stop in silt and sand. I use the pinned in 2nd gear method. Know your mileage, plan your pit stops, driver should have cash and a passport on him. We chase with one truck pulling the trailer. We don't carry many spare parts on the race car. I wouldn't race without a spare. Also carry some water and food in case you get stuck out on the course. It will be easier to finish the day in time for the parties now that the first really long day is now two short days. We have race almost all the NORRA races. Pm me if you have more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

y2kbaja

IRS cars are a wee bit different and faster than swing axle. I was stuck twice in '15 and my codriver once but didn't use the maxtrax either time; other cars or locals helped us out. It was nice knowing we had them just in case. If the car is well prepped you shouldn't need spares. And we didn't use one single spare part we brought.

LantanaTX

IRS cars are a wee bit different and faster than swing axle. I was stuck twice in '15 and my codriver once but didn't use the maxtrax either time; other cars or locals helped us out. It was nice knowing we had them just in case. If the car is well prepped you shouldn't need spares. And we didn't use one single spare part we brought.
Besides a light car I think our light centerline wheels and especially our light and durable Mickey Thompson Baja Pro's keep us out of trouble.

bin04

Lol. I have an absolute raft of spares I am bringing. Spare motor/trans/beam/axles/lots of drums/seals/drainplugs/arms/etc.

I am hoping not to use any more f to t, but I am sure I will need whatever I forget.

LantanaTX

Lol. I have an absolute raft of spares I am bringing. Spare motor/trans/beam/axles/lots of drums/seals/drainplugs/arms/etc.

I am hoping not to use any more f to t, but I am sure I will need whatever I forget.
We are also bringing spare engine, trans, and enough parts to build a second car. We just don't carry many spare parts on the race car. We also have some redundancy such as dual coils, and fuel pumps. Spare fan belt zipped tied to the frame near the engine is about it.

3 Amigos Racing

Cool to see you going for it.. I would suggest..
  • Save money and ask the class here to borrow 5 lug spare tires front and rears.... if you need it or lose replace it.. you might find some generous lending... if I still had a nine I would share all spares with you..
  • Take at least one other set of spare front arms with new ball joints mounted in the car..plus another spare set of bj's arms and spindles in the chase truck. .cheap insurance to continue to Cabo on.
  • Consider a $250 del orme in reach sat tracker/text device. it works in Baja, has a link to a page your team can track you on plus you can communicate with the team. its in addition to the race tracker.. the diffeence is the communication you have with your team ..
Im jealous.. have fun! good luck..

bin04

Hey- thanks, i am really excited, but understandably..'concerned'. I greatly appreciate all the insight. Woulda never thought of the brake drum/spare mount...

Am taking a LOT of spares- i reaaaally don't want to come up short on this due to a lack of parts:

motor is new, and a spare new motor
trans is new, and a spare trans/axle tubes (not new, but not bad)
drums f/r
Lotsa tires
most bearings/bushings
i have THREE sets of trailing arms (and a case of balljoints i need to press out/in. *siiigh*)
spare, slightly mangled beam, although Doug just built me a new one.
throttle/clutch cables
spare valve covers
brake stuff (MC/lines/fittings/etc)
sundry seals/gaskets
oil cooler/fan
usual pumps/filters/fuel stuff
adding a second battery mount, and carrying a spare batt..
lightbar...
distributor/wires/plugs
lines/hoses/stuff

I probably missed a few things

I'll look into the DeLorme thingie. I was going to rent a sat phone- should i just do this thing instead?

What else am i not thinking of?

y2kbaja

We rented two sat phones: one for the race car and one for the chase. It came in handy when needed. Worth the $$.

Chris_Wilson

Top tip on sat phones, get the car kit for the chase truck. Otherwise when the racecar makes that sat phone call to your chase truck the call will not be received unless you just happen to be standing outside with the sat phone antenna up.