• Forum membership has its advantages....

Course Safety

As a fan of off road racing and someone who has very limited experience in racing, I was wondering does anyone think that there are viable solutions that SCORE and other racing organizations could implement so that the tragedy that happened at the Baja 500 won't happen again?

sanfelocrew

I m from san felipe, went to zoo road and some other crowded points, however, saw in each corner a police officer, a state policer officér, and three army officer, were five guys, traveled to mexico city, last year and saw an oficer each corner, loke the idea to make a safe belt with officers to contain the crowd, and also giving more info to fans not just from mexico, also another people that travel to see races, I have 30 years old And 25 years going to races, and know the secure spots, best

Enviado desde mi XT1528 mediante Tapatalk

bobsson

Best option from here is public education as many others have stated. Educate people about the dangers of being close, work on helping them understand that sometimes equipment fails. A tie rod snaps, a uniball shears, or a u joint gives up and all bets are off on what the vehicle will do. To those who race, we understand most of the dangers involved, but someone who's never been to a race and just wants to see what it's all about, it's probably an idea that's never crossed their mind.

Kyle D

One would think common sense should play a huge part in staying safe while spectating a race. The problem is that this type of atmosphere has been there for so long that nobody thinks about getting hurt. There's people that have probably been standing in the same place next to the race course for 25 years with never having an issue. It's gonna be hard to change the thought process that is instilled into people about standing next to the race course. It's a choice they make that right, wrong or indifferent, they are comfortable with. I personally have no desire to stand next to the course while looking up to take a picture of the bottom of a truck flying by me. A lot of folks do it though.

calstyl2

When you get out of the Metro areas you see responsible fans who have absolute love and respect for the race course, the closer you get to the built up areas, the dumber the fans get. I covered vast areas of the B500 course this year and saw lots of responsible spectators enjoying the race and not doing dangerous stuff

Bro_Gill

You can do everything possible, including signs, fences, etc... But there will ALWAYS be people trying to win the Darwin Award for the year.

royrjs

Circling back to the question posted by the OP, the only effective method would be to hire enough security to establish a safety perimeter 30 feet away from the race course. Cost effective? Hell no, so it's never happening.

Kyle (^^) nailed it; calstyl2, too. People building booby traps and getting hit by race vehicles generally fall in the same profile: people with no civil values nor disregard for their own or other's safety that couldn't care less for off road as a sport.

The other option would be to go BLM on racing orgs down here, but it'd really suck. After typing this, a question came to mind in retrospective: Is it more important for me to have not-sucking races than the lives of those who don't care for their own? Well, food for thought.

M_Solms

Circling back to the question posted by the OP, the only effective method would be to hire enough security to establish a safety perimeter 30 feet away from the race course. Cost effective? Hell no, so it's never happening.

Kyle (^^) nailed it; calstyl2, too. People building booby traps and getting hit by race vehicles generally fall in the same profile: people with no civil values nor disregard for their own or other's safety that couldn't care less for off road as a sport.

The other option would be to go BLM on racing orgs down here, but it'd really suck. After typing this, a question came to mind in retrospective: Is it more important for me to have not-sucking races than the lives of those who don't care for their own? Well, food for thought.
30' or 5' same difference when it goes wrong. There are not too many people that will out run a crashing car even with a 30' head start. It all comes down to self preservation and making sure you have a out and never take your eyes off the cars. US, Mexico, all the same, people are people.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1466099740.814053.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

ACME

^^^^ True, when it goes wrong it goes wrong...

But when there is an opportunity to mitigate some of the potential for an issue in a few known areas like: The first 3-4 corners in Ensenada or the last few turns on slick asphalt into the finish chute or the first transition into the dirt in SF; it seems that decision should be fairly easy to make and manage.

You can't regulate stupid and sadly you can't expect people to act responsibly on their own. So why not reduce the known risks where you can by being pro-active?

Peter Alesi Jr.

everyone know where the crowed areas are, and where spectators hang out. Just put speed limits in those areas, what are we talking about a 15 minute longer race... it's worked for BITD.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
everyone know where the crowed areas are, and where spectators hang out. Just put speed limits in those areas, what are we talking about a 15 minute longer race... it's worked for BITD.
BITD has designated pits, where Baja does not. Big Difference.

redline

When someone figures out how to put common sense into the general population we might stand a chance. It doesnt matter if it locals, spectators, or even CHASE crews! I was amazed at how many chase crews were actually parked too close to course and on the outside of turns! There was even one chase crew set up sitting in the middle of a chicane in their chairs under an ez up!

We cant point fingers at others if some of the even the race teams are not using logic.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
When someone figures out how to put common sense into the general population we might stand a chance. It doesnt matter if it locals, spectators, or even CHASE crews! I was amazed at how many chase crews were actually parked too close to course and on the outside of turns! There was even one chase crew set up sitting in the middle of a chicane in their chairs under an ez up!

We cant point fingers at others if some of the even the race teams are not using logic.
Good point-

At Laughlin, I came across a chase team for a class 10 going backwards on the course during the race out looking for their car that lost a transmission. I was less than diplomatic when I saw them, and they seemed shocked they wernt allowed to do that or even that they should not do that...